Classic books for under 5's

Hmmm, I think we could do with "When Mummy Turned into a Monster".

For small ones who find it impossible to sit still for even the shortest book, I recommend the Sam Lloyd puppet books. We have 'Hello Dudley', about a disgusting monster who won't brush his teeth and likes to wipe his nose on peoples skirts. Strangely enough it was adored by a 2 year old who had previosly had no interest in books. Who'd have thought it?

Belle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Keef - i really want to see the film of WTWTA -

> the trailer was amazing I thought. Agree it's an

> all-time classic, my brother's called Max so we

> especially loved it in our house.

I watched a bit of it on a plane, but was too tired to get in to it. I'm sure the film is good, it just seems to take away some of the magic of the book and the drawings IMO.

There are some really good reworkings of classic fairy stories, i.e Cinderella, Princess and the pea etc for when the dreaded princess phase hits for girls and you (or this may be just me) physically cannot bear to re-read anymore ladybird princess classics.... ;-)

Lauren Child, who does Charlie and Lola redid Princess and the Pea in brilliant style - she and a dollshouse person built a set for each page. Really cool, and a bit of light relief for the reader...

Ella's big chance is a good rework of Cinderella, although also have a cool Art Deco inspired one.

I also really still like the Mr Men/Little Miss books, perfect for a book treat without breaking the bank.

Snowboarder - Dear Zoo has only been mentioned once and it's great for the 12-18mths stage - it was one of the first books that both of mine loved. Also the same author's (Rod something?) Buster books (even if Buster does look a little old to be wearing a babygro all day long).

Other favourites of ours:

The Tiger Who Came To Tea

Lots of Julia Donaldson, particularly Squash and a Squeeze and the Gruffalo

Duck in the Truck

Wibbly Pig, particularly Is It Bedtime?

Pants

That Rabbit belongs to Emily Brown

I once overheard a bloke reading Hairy McClarey to his little son on a morning rush hour train into London Bridge. I was hooked and can honestly say that was the nicest journey into work ever. Great thread BTW.