Pregnancy Yoga v Pilates

An interesting debate for a sunday evening for all mum's and mum's to be, i hope.

I am wanting to start either pregnancy Yoga or Pilates, and was wanting to hear peoples preferences and experiences to help me make a choice.

I was also hoping to get some advice on good places that offer these classes, ideally on a wednesday morning/afternoon.

I'll look forward to hearing your responses.

I do one-to-one pilates once a week a the Sunflower Centre in Brockley and am continuiing through my pregnancy (although what I do now compared to before is different to take account of the baby!). I find it's the only thing that really keeps me moving - I started it because of having major surgery on my spine 18 months ago and so far (touch wood!) I'm 20 weeks in and haven't had any recurring major problems with my spine.

My instructor does some yoga type movelemts with me too and encourages me to do these at home to increase strength and suppleness (sp?).

http://thesunflowercentre.co.uk

Like bumpy said - maybe give both a go!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have been doing pregnancy yoga at with sitaram. their website is sitaram.org

They have classes at Kings and various other local places. I go on Weds, the teacher is Alice. I really like her. It is very relaxing and good for aches and pains and although not arduous is a bit more like exercise than some pregnancy classes. beware though, I hear the Saturday classes are more of the type where all you do is lie on your back and breath!

I did Kundalini yoga and thought it was great - good preparation for labour!!

I also did pilates, but I think that is probabaly better done one to one, even if that means you just have an occasional session and do it on your own.

I have had mixed experiences of other pregnancy yoga - some of it is far to much lying on your back and breathing deeply for my liking!

I did yoga with Sitaram and it really stood me in good stead for the birth, in particular the controlled breathing and pelvic floor exercises. My husband and I also splashed out on a yoga birth rehearsal and it definately payed off, as we used some of the positions and breathing techniques learnt just a few days later whilst in labour.

That said, I found out the other day that Southwark offers free ante and post natal pilates http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/10096/healthy_living/885/ante_and_post_natal_progressive_exercise/1

Next time with altered priorities for my cash (want to spend it on baby) I would definately try to get to a free class.