Labour "Action Team" East Dulwich Village Ward - (Lounged)

m7post

m7post Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dear Admin - that's a pity - it's not really an

> issue of politics

Check out m7post's past posts. He reeks of sneeks politician. A vote for LIB DEM is a vote for the TORYS......sorry again but he started it:))

I have come over all party loyal..(not a labour party member...yet...)

Perhaps I can respond as one of the co-authors of the letter that appears to have caused a bit of a stir?

Our letter did not mention Dulwich Hospital (of which see below). It mentioned some positive things Labour would do for Southwark residents and pointed out the LibDem/Tory record since they took control of the council in 2002:

- The third worst council tax collection rate in the country.

- The sixth worst recycling rate in the country.

- Being among just eight councils in the country rated as worst for adult health and social care at a time when they have inter alia put 50% on the cost of meals on wheels leading to a huge drop in uptake.

- The worst performance of all inner London councils according to the Audit Commission.

On the issue of Dulwich Hospital, since it has been raised, it is important to note that PCT's are effectively independent bodies charged with taking appropriate decisions at a local level. The elected body that has the most influence on them is the Local Authority - a clue to this being the fact that the Chief Executive of Southwark PCT is also one of Southwark's Chief Officers. The main mechanism by which they can be held to account is through the Scrutiny Committee of Southwark Council (chaired by the majority administration). I am afraid that councillors in charge of Southwark never use this route and simply seem to stand at the sidelines, shout abuse and blame 'the government' - I guess it takes less effort than actually doing anything.

By way of contrast, in Lambeth, where the PCT and the council work closely together, joint facilities have been delivered in partnership with more on the way - a leisure/health centre in Norwood for example.

Incidentally, whilst our council has gone into reverse, Lambeth has gone from an Audit Commission rating of 1 star to 3 stars (out of 4) since Labour took over the administration 4 years ago.

Duncan Chapman - Labour Candidate in Village Ward

Apologies to quids who will no doubt find this boring but I have been asked to respond so I will.

Martin,

I've worked with both Lambeth and Southwark PCTs - and I would argue, as I did in my earler contribution on this thread, that the difference in their delivery on projects such as this is the level of engagement with the PCT by the local authority.

In Lambeth this assumption of responsibility is high. Locally elected representatives and the council work closely with the PCT and get things done. In Southwark this is not the case. I have already made the argument that the local authority has by far the most influence on the PCT (Chief Exec. of Southwark PCT = Chief Officer of Southwark etc).

Lambeth PCT are operating under exactly the same financial model so it's not good enough to blame 'the government' as you do. I am aware that Tessa Jowell has tried her darndest to get the PCT to deliver this project (multiple meetings with the PCT, NHS London, Ministers, contributing to consultations, surveying residents etc). But there has been no engagement at all from those who run the council - they do appear to just shout abuse from the sidelines, blame everyone else and do absolutely nothing of practical value.

By way of demonstration here's the NHS Lambeth: 'Building for the future' section on their website

The two examples I would give, from the large number detailed, that epitomise the good working relationship between the local authority and the PCT in Lambeth are Gracefield Gardens and Norwood Hall - note the latter was kicked off by receiving Lambeth Council Cabinet approval as recently as Sept. 2009 so the argument that there's now 'no money' doesn't wash - there's just no ambition and no drive in Southwark. Hence its position as being officially, according to the Audit Commission, the worst council in inner London.

So, Martin, in response to the question in your final paragraph, if elected I will take responsibilty for the current debacle, work with Tessa, with colleagues on a (hopefully) Labour controlled Southwark Council and with the PCT to kick-start the stalled process in relation to the Dulwich Hospital site. If nothing improves I will see it as a personal failure but I can assure you that it will not be for want of trying - which is more than can be said for the current crop of ineffective buck-passers who allegedly 'run' the council.

Hope that helps,

Duncan

m7post Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dear Duncan - very good - I Look forward to ( if you're elected) joining those efforts then.

Very kind Martin. I may be slightly ahead of myself having not been elected yet but I was at the hospital for a meeting with senior PCT people, Tessa Jowell and the Secretary of State for Health on Wednesday. Tessa describes the meeting as 'tough-talking' and it was certainly that: Tessa Jowell and Health Secretary at Dulwich Hospital