Sushi in SE22?

• 1 month later...

It's not in east Dulwich, but it's literally 5 minutes by train from Denmark Hill station, so easy for forumites to get to, and so good I thought it worth mentioning as had lovely anniversary diner there the other night.

Tsunami (oops on the name) by Clapham High St station, sushi was Ubon quality at a little over half the price.

You've also got Ichiban in Brixton - Brixton has two sushi places close by - the other being Fujiyama.

Magosteen mentioned before i think is more Vietnamese but they have some sushi like dishes. They are on the parade of shops at Gipsy Hill/West Dulwich border http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/restaurants/london/view/83643/Mangosteen

A little further away by train is a proper sushi restaurant; Tsunami which I'm told is quite nice. It is a 20 minute bus ride on the 37 bus to Clapham High Street or if you can get to Denmark hill train it's a 5 minute train ride to the Clapham High street station.

http://www.squaremeal.co.uk/restaurants/london/view/81447/Tsunami

Yes, I gather Tsunami took their eye off the ball for a bit, but recently they've really pulled their socks up, the black cod is there and amazing (the chefs are old Nobu chefs) and the value is as good as I've ever had in the capital.

More starters, sashimi, nigri, tempura and other stuff than we could shake a stick at, a decent bottle of wine, and great service, 40 quid a head.

We were going to go to Roka, Zuma's sister restaurant. When I booked they said the upstairs was full, but downstairs was a more relaxed and informal atmosphere and they do the full menu down there.

My brother thankfully informed me that it's basically a full on nightclub down there. I'd have been pretty upset paying 80 quid a head for the privilege of having my elbows bashed all through the meal and not being able to hear each other over the din.

I duly cancelled and Tsunami came up trumps.

• 5 years later...
Not using Fujiyama anymore since they messed up two deliveries. The first time they came out to correct it, the second time they couldn't be bothered (delivery was missing a Fuji platter starter). They said it wasn't worth their while and I could have it free next time I ordered... and that's after me paying a ?3 delivery charge.

Alan Dale Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Good recommendation. Loved the soft shell crab

> rolls.

I tried it too, but after 68 months they weren't at their best, the initial tooth-breaking lead to a rancid, vomitous filling that led to vomiting.

Other than that, pretty good.

Have never found good sushi in London without heading up town, over the river. Even there it's hit and miss. One day you're having relatively good sushi, the next it's all crab sticks. Crab sticks! What's with crab sticks in every 'seafood' concoction - be it in Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean. . ? Even in New York, sushi joints aren't what they used to be. If you've eaten sushi in Japan, then nothing really compares imho. But I digress. Back to SE22 sushi. Like so many things such as unicorns, the fountain of youth and a flattering snapshot taken from a low angle, SE22 sushi simply does not exist. Off to break the news to the kids about the tooth fairy.

Whilst I agree it seems to be impossible to get good sushi in SE22, I would highly recommend Tsunami in Clapham as a sushi restaurant. Since the overground extension from Denmark Hill opened it's easy to get to as it's directly outside the Clapham High Street station.