best caff in se22

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> * cough * Co Cork black pudding is, I would humbly

> suggest, the equal of, if not better than Northern

> black pudding

>

> Available in East Dulwich too

Tell me where and I'll carry out a taste test.

I believe you can get white pudding in the Irish shop.

Having read Bignumber5's post, I'm thinking of following Mrs Keef's axample and going veggie!

Right thought about it, then remembered steak and kebabs! >:D<

Ah the Northern vs Irish black pudding argument another thing I am treated to when I visit the in-laws. M-in-law being from Bury and F-in-law from Tipperary. IMO the jury is still out on the pudding but Irish sausage wins over English any day.

Thanks for the tip about Vals grocer Sean.

Oh my poor arteries.

DaveR Wrote:

> Spanish black pudding definitely superior -

> morcilla cebollada, made with extra onions

>

> I think the Barcelona tapas bar does piquillo

> peppers stuffed with morcilla - lovely

now this just goes to show the wonderful diversity of the human race - no way I'd eat that! onions? I think not. Having spent most of my life in south east london, and having never been to Spain or Ireland, I've really only had the stuff you get in the caffs of the British Isles. And yet I started this whole black pud debate! Is that like saying I am a fan of modern oriental cuisine because I like noodlenoodle near victoria?!?

I don't think so, that would be like saying you like ancient mesopotamian cuisine because you like bread.

I think pretty much every culture on earth has some equivalent of black pudding as it's so incredibly rich in protein and nutritious. Squeamishness is a very modern affectation that's come about through a dissociation between animals and the meat product. Did any one see river cafe last night, the looks on people's faces when they killed the chicken?

I was just pointing out that, much as I love British pud, Franklins* do a mean one too btw, in Spain they have a vast variety whereas here it's largely homogenous. And don't knock the onion version til you try it, the onions are swat down til they're almost liquid caramel, just as they should be in a decent spanish-omelette.

*You see, still juuuust about on topic.

The maasai drink fresh cows blood mixed with milk. Highly nutritious and you don?t have to slaughter the cow so it becomes more of a sustainable resource.

Napoleons cavalry would have a small tube inserted into their horse?s necks from which they would siphon blood when they were short on rations.

Compared to things like liver and kidneys blood is actually a very clean part of an animal.

So to stay on topic here. Which ED caff was it again that does black pud?

mockney piers Wrote:

> Black pudding is a beautiful thing, especially

> when you get it right.

> In carnivore heaven, central Spain, it's down to

> an absolute art form, your English and your Irish

> aren't even in the same division!!

oi stopping mocking mock, irish black and white pudding is the business, dont eat that galtee or dennys crap go for the proper stuff from the butchers, vampire heaven.

Just to get off the subject of black pudding for a bit.( what is white pudding anyway? The puss as opposed to the blood I presume.)

I have to say that the Blue Brick wins my vote. As a veggy, the chips are the most important bit of the fry up for me and at the BB they're homemade. Theres a certain charm to the place as well.

My vote goes to the Uplands too. I'm also a veggie and they did a good veg sausage (don't have chips with my fry up so can't comment).

Tried Blue Brick recently and the service left quite a bit to be desired, but the food was pretty good and inexpensive

Lucyl Wrote:

> ( what is white pudding anyway? The puss as

> opposed to the blood I presume.)

White pudding is a completely vegitarian alternative to black pudding. You should try some. ;-)

Louisa Wrote:

> Good grief how many veggies are there on here! I

> feel like i'm in a 60s hippy compound surrounded

> by sandle wearers!

Surely a veggie fry up is a contracdiction in terms? Ask 100 people what consitutes a fry up and I'm sure 95% will identify bacon and sausages as the key ingredients plus a fried egg (never sure where eggs sit on veggies scale of good / bad) all of which are of animal origin.

I quite often have the veggie fry up with added bacon if I'm not in the mood for snags, black pud etc.

Mushrooms, beans, tomatoes, hash browns, bubble, egg and obviously bacon.

It's just less heavy, though I usually get a funny look.

I've stopped asking for a cup o' char after one too many cappuccinos from charming, pretty eastern europeans lacking colloquialisms.

I think eggs is a vegan thing for most, but depends on the individual veggie.