C-section recovery

Hello Family Room!

I seem to turn to this forum for answers rather than my GP, but I don't want to bowl up to the surgery, wait to be seen for an hour, then be fobbed off.

As I keep going on about, I had a c-section 4 months ago (Thanks, Baby Baldock...) I actually found the recovery quite easy, especially when I had my stitches removed (aaaahhh, sweet relief!). However, my scar is still as tender now as it was days after the Op. I can't push the 'big' buggy (a bloody Jane...) or shopping trolleys because my scar always hurts me so much, and when I am going up or down curbs and doing that 'buggy wheelie' thing that I'm sure everyone knows about to get back up onto the pavement, it also hurts. Taking Sebastian out in the sling hurts me, too (And not only because he's now 17lbs+!!!!)

Even picking him up sometimes is a bit touch-and-go. The scar itself is fading very very quickly, no keloids and there wasn't ever an infection in the healing wound.

So what gives? Is it meant to be this tender 4 months on?

Is this a stupid question? Probably...

Not sure I can entirely remember, as it was almost 3 years ago now but I seem to recall that the scar and the area behind it were quite tender for a good six months, although I also had no complications / infections etc. However, I definitely don't remember pain or not being able to push a heavy buggy months afterwards - I'd have thought that ought to be behind you by now.

*looks around for our resident medical friends*

Ruth i think you should get this looked into as seems a long time for it to be so tender still. I had a c-section and after a month or so couldn't really feel it at all. The only time i ever felt a twinge was if i coughed really hard. Now 10 months on i can feel nothing

Mine was pretty tender for a while - I know I tried running at 12 weeks post op and it felt pretty sore. And YES to the buggy wheelie thing - uncomfortable/impossible initially and actually now one yr later it's not sore anymore but I def still feel it when hefting the buggy up a kerb. But that's not to say it's ok....

Mine was pretty tender also for awhile after and I found the recovery very easy as well. I still have a slight tenderness when lifting very heavy things or funnily enough when jumped upon by my 19 month old!! Scar even aches during menstrual time. I was worried and sought advice at 10 months post op, due to other complications, and was told that it may take time. I did wonder if I had overdone it at the beginning as was up on my feet within 2 hours plus wearing a sling with heavy baby when pushchair had broken. I would advise to get it checked as we are all different!

I have had the same experience as the previous post...... it's more of a muscular ache in the general area (at least in my case). I've had scans etc and there is nothing there, but it could be to do with scarring and or how the muscles there have healed. It doesn't bother me, but for a while I also thought maybe I'd damaged something by not resting enough in the beginning. I could be REALLY wrong, but I thing they have to sometimes move things around a bit once they get in there, so I have sometimes wondered if maybe things got a bit wonky from shifting or something? I know, so medically technical.....

Interestingly Moos my friend just had her 2nd c section and proudly told me that they seemed to have tidied up her first scar...not quite sure how that works but am not tempted to have my 2nd child to see if the same applies to me! Know what you mean about the bulge.

Helena you may be right with the moving around as my partner said he saw the aftermath before suturing and it looked like they were pulling and moving....makes me shudder.

Lordy. Knowing my luck, I'd end up with 2 mismatching scars in a sort of 'X marks the spot'!

Ruth, sorry to have gone all silly on your perfectly sensible thread. Sounds as though going to the doc is a good plan, good luck and let us know how you get on.

I had a C section nearly 3 months ago and have no pain at all........... I even did a week's skiing last week and didn't feel it at all! Def see your Dr

I do remember it hurt pushing a pram uphill in the first few weeks but even that stopped by around 6 weeks.

Lovely Moos,

When you have a new section, they remove the old scar! They cut it out and tidy it up.

Ruth, you need to go to your GP and ask him if you need antibiotics, it sounds as though you are in more pain than you should be sweetie. I have had two sections (for maternal distress) and I know a little about these things...

Oooh, Dulwichmum, that is great news, my scar is a right old mess with a bulge above it etc. Am also somewhat scared about VBAC. Can't believe am almost wishing for another C-section! Maybe they could do a quick tummy tuck at the same time....

My recovery took a while, defo worth visiting the GP for advice about pain etc.

From my experience and that of friends, all of whom have had sections, I would definitely have it investigated further. Most of us had v quick recoveries, were up and about almost immediately and had no pain by the time we left hospital - ie a few days not weeks or months. Really you shldn't have to put up with all this, on top of being exhausted with the baby too. :-(