Good Nursery's and Schools in SE22

Hi there I'm charlotte and I'm soon to be moving to East Dulwich!! Hurray-very excited. I have a 2 year old son Thomas, and am looking for a nursery school for him. I have done some research but would really appreciate some first hand recommendation from Mum's in the area, particularly as far as nursery schools go. I hear Heber, and Goodrich Primary's are very good. Is this the case? If you have a moment I'd really appreciate your first hand opinions and experiences.

Many thanks

Charlotte

I think most of the school nursery classes are good. The problem you will find is getting a place, I'm afraid. You really only have a chance at your closest school, and even then that may not be enough to get a place. Heber nursery this year didn't take any children who didnt have a sibling in the school already, and reception places were limited to those who loved within 600m, that distance if likely to drop now the council is switching from shortest safe walking route to as the crow flies.

Sorry to bear bad news.

If I were you I'd apply to Puddleduck, Buds etc rather than rely on getting into a school nursery class. Those nurseries will still offer 15h free education from age 3+, but I'd get on the list now.

First of all, congratulations you your decision to move. I certainly don't think you will regret it, ED is really great for kids (and we have the lovely Family Room to help you make new buddies!)

Re: school/nurseries I second what Fuschia says. As soon as you know your address apply for nurseries. There are plenty around, and long waiting lists for them all as far as I know. I haven't heard reports of any particularly awful ones to avoid, so its really a case of traipsing round having a look and putting your name down. Be warned that some ask for a cash despoit just to go on the list, so question them carefully if you will realistically get a place before your child starts school.

Re primary schools, this would actually influence my decision very strongly as to which property to buy. Heber/Goodrich and a number of others are good, but as Fuschia says, the catchment area is very small. I would research very carefully before committing to buy so you avoid ending up in a "black hole". There are always people willing to help on here, so do give us a shout!

Mel

chantelle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Jumping on this discussion with my own question -

> can someone tell me how you go about applying to

> the state school nurseries? Any recommendations in

> the Bellenden Road area?? My son is nearly 2, I'm

> getting worried.

contact the schools directly

St Anthony's and St Francesca Cabrini are both good Catholic schools, like the other schools in the area they are very oversubscribed. Residents in the south of SE22 also go to Ivydale and Fairlawn Primaries. St Mary's Preschool on St Mary's Rd in Nunhead takes children from 2 and a half and is open from 9.15-12.15 only during term-time weekdays.

We go to Mother Goose in Greendale (behind ED station and Sainsburys). It's 10 mins walk from Denmark Hill station and takes children from 3 months (ours are 4 months and 2.75 years).

I know it has 10 external people(those without siblings already there)on the waiting list already though.

Good luck x

Camberwell Early years centre is excellent, it's in Camberwell Grove at the Dog Kennel Hill End. You'll need to act fast though as we had a 14 month wait after registering. My 2 year old has been there for 6 months now and he loves it. Speak to Beverely or Beatrice in the office, they're very helpful and extrememly nice. Hope that helps.

It depends if you need full time nursery care or scchool hour/term time only care. For the former you need to be looking at something like Nelly's or Gumboots or Mother Goose etc but the waiting lists can be beyond horrendous (2 years for Nelly's for example).

As far as term time care goes then Buds is great - I have two sons there, both of whom started just after they turned two. They absolutely love it, staff are very friendly, really nice bunch of children, and there is a big outdoor space which backs onto a cricket field so you really get a sense of fresh air (obviously an illusion in London but welcome all the same!)

hi I can highly recommend dulwich village pre=school its lovely and not too much of a waiting list, think its not too well known and out of the way a bit(its in the old alleyans rugby club)down college road. But its the same feeling and atmoshphere as them going to a school nursery, its non profit making so every penny goes on staff wages and back into the nursery. They have evenings(halloween, etc) for you to meet your childrens friends parents and to raise more funds for new equiptment etc. It looks out over the rugby pitch then the pary is across from that so its in a beautiful setting. There is a lovely garden too with veg patch and pirate ship etc. Its term time only but fees really reasonable(about ?190 per term I think for 2 sessions a week)when we applied there was about a 6 month waiting list so not too bad.

hello,

I hope you don't mind if I jump on board. We're planning on moving to East Dulwich Grove with our 2 year old this summer. I had hoped to get her into a school nursery so she'd be making friends locally before starting school but she is quite well settled with a child minder in Walworth where we live now so could just stay there. Is it realistic to get her into a school nursery nearby and which would people recommend - I think we'd be too far from Heber or Goodrich to get in?

Hi newtoedf, depends where you are on ED Grove - probably your closest school is Goose Green school nursery, its unlikely you'll get into Goodrich or Heber - the catchment areas are pretty small, no harm in putting your little one's name down though (just wouldn't rely on it)......

Bessemar Grange is the nearest school to East Dulwich Grove and think it has a nursery - think if you search within the forum there are some very positive comments from parent's using the school/nursery - from what I've read on here, it's had lots of funding/new building and has fantastic nursery/early years education.

Puddleducks nursery is splendid. The kids are happy, safe and learn all about getting on with one another. They don't seem to do much Latin and algebra there, which doesn't suit all parents, but it seems to suit the kids, they have great time there.

Newtoedf, what will your childcare plans be once your little one is at full time school? Once you have a plan for that, you will know if you can usefully access a school nusery place (you will probably need a childminder locally to do the other half of the day.. in our case this cost the same as a full day at the minders, price only went down once our child was 5)

Goose Green Primary and Nursery school has a wonderful (state) nursery which is part time from age 3 and full time from age 4 (or thereabouts). My daughter started at Christmas and is having a wonderful time! It is great preparation for Primary School - especially if you choose the attached Goose Green Primary School, as children who attend both are familiar with the surroundings, children and teachers, so starting at 'big school' is a breeze.

You do need to register for a place as soon as possible after they turn 2 as it is a very popular nursery.

Thanks for all the advice - it is such a difficult decision. I was thinking we'd combine school nursery with a childminder as I work full time but I think she might not get a nursery place until september 11 as her birthday is the end of january. Sounds like I need to take some time off to do some visits and get her name down for a couple of places because I won't necessarily get our first choice. And of course, getting into the nursery is no guarantee of getting a place at the school - sigh...