Hope and Greenwood..Value

Mick Mac

Ladymuck Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Their liquorice toffees are orgasmalicious...and,

> at ?1.25 a bag, worth every penny.

On the website it says they are ?2.15 for 250g. So you are paying ?1.25 for 125g?

cate Wrote:

> On the website it says they are ?2.15 for 250g.

> So you are paying ?1.25 for 125g?

Presumably...I've no idea when it comes to metric weights (in my day it was "a quarter of..."). But I think you are right, as they do small, medium and large bags (I always ask for small). Does any of this make sense?::o

Annasfield Wrote:

> They sell Floral Gums and that'll do for me.

Me too. I developed a taste for them as a child trying to get the most sweets for my 10p (usually stretched to 2 ounces of sweets which isn't many if you get large things like sherbert lemons).

ha ha - sherbert lemons. Nothing could cut the roof of your mouth like those (other than sherbert strawberries). It was a real test of endurance to see how many you could scoff before the presence of bits of skin dangling from your (now sore and bleeding) palate forced you to stop. The lure of that sherbert...irresistable.

Dear Chums,

I have just spoken to my friends at Lions, makers of the best Midget Gems we know of.

Lions are in the process of transferring Midget Gems to, ?No artificial colours or flavours?. They are aware that the current batch of gems is a little softer than usual and ask you to bear with them until they get the recipe just right.

You will notice at Hope and Greenwood that many of our products are now No Artificial Colours and Flavours, including most of our Pick and Mix lines.

Thank you for pointing out the Midget Gem debacle, Mr Greenwood and I are most sorry for letting you down.

Miss H

I knew that it could not be your fault Miss Hope.

When your shop opened it filled a gap in my life that had been missing since childhood - proper midget gems. Lions will get the new ones right soon I'm sure.

But please tell them that there are people out there in ED who are happy to risk their lives once every couple of weeks with the old style artificial flavours/colours ones.

If they want to mark the bags with a cigarette style government health waring, I'll still eat them....no matter how great the risk - I am a brave man when it comes to sweets. You are a long time dead. Life's for living and midget gems are for chewing - hard.

Ladymuck Wrote:

> ha ha - sherbert lemons. Nothing could cut the

> roof of your mouth like those (other than sherbert

> strawberries). It was a real test of endurance to

> see how many you could scoff before the presence

> of bits of skin dangling from your (now sore and

> bleeding) palate forced you to stop. The lure of

> that sherbert...irresistable.

So true, but they are still my favourites (lemons above strawberry, but both ae good). When on a weekend in Rye a couple of years ago, there were several "traditional" sweetshops, and I came back with bags and bags of stuff. Have to say it was a lot cheaper than H&G too, but that is hardly surprising.

Dear Miss Hope - on a recent visit to your fine establishment, I noticed that you don't seem to stock Firemen's Hoses. Are there any plans to introduce them in the future? I am asking on behalf of others, as it was my great misfortune as a child to over-indulge on them and make myself 'ill', thereby preventing me from enjoying them ever again... :(

Can I add a plea for more liquorice satins? Every time you get them in I pretty much buy your entire stock for myself, but they don't come into stock very often. Surely I'm not the only addict in East Dulwich?! Please. Pretty please.

I need to know :)

Are Midget Gems those round flat things made of white chocolate with hundreds and thousands stuck all over one side of them, or are they the tiny jelly like things of different colours which are a bit chewy and have different flavours?

Thanks in anticipation of your reply, and I can't wait till H & G open their ice cream counter again and have those praline caramel ice cream things YAY I'm going all funny just thinking about it :)-D

Sue Wrote:

> I need to know :)

>

> Are Midget Gems those round flat things made of

> white chocolate with hundreds and thousands stuck

> all over one side of them, or are they the tiny

> jelly like things of different colours which are a

> bit chewy and have different flavours?

EH.....B.....

Why would anyone want hard chewy white chocolate Sue....

Hello Sweet Lovers

Sue; Midget Gems can be found here http://www.hopeandgreenwood.co.uk/pages/viewProduct.aspx?friendlyUrl=Midget-Gems, the flat disks with hundred and thousands are Snowies http://www.hopeandgreenwood.co.uk/pages/viewProduct.aspx?friendlyUrl=Snowies

Brum; Fireman's Hoses - tragically out of production.

Pickle;Liquorice Satins - now on my shopping list, just for you.

Rosie and Legal Beagle; - If you like floral try the Bergamot Truffle, it is to die for.

Mick Mac; I'm with you!

Anything other questions chums?

Miss H x

I wasn't a patron but after reading this thread (and to cheer myself up after daughter's 16 week jabs at DMC) I popped in. The Amaretto truffles are yummm!

Pickle - what's a liquorice satin? My OH loves liquorice - but is used to the Australian stuff.

Liquorice satins are stripy multicoloured sweets (some shaped a bit like a pillow, some round), similar to hard boiled sweets, with a chewy liquorice centre. But don't you dare go and buy the new stock, they're mine, all mine (6)

Mick Mac Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I need to know :)

> >

> > Are Midget Gems those round flat things made of

> > white chocolate with hundreds and thousands

> stuck

> > all over one side of them, or are they the tiny

> > jelly like things of different colours which are

> a

> > bit chewy and have different flavours?

>

> EH.....B.....

>

> Why would anyone want hard chewy white chocolate

> Sue....

xxxxxxx

Sorry it was half past one in the morning and I'd had rather a lot of wine :-$

Miss Hope Wrote:

> Hello Sweet Lovers

>

>> Brum; Fireman's Hoses - tragically out of

> production.

>

I'm gutted. Chewing on a fireman's hose would have been a special treat.

Mr Woof

Liquorice "Pipes" with the 100's & 1000's on - Yes we have those and they are as rare as hens' teeth - we have to import them.

Fish & Chips - Of course we have them.

Chocolate tobacco - how could you doubt us? Made by only 2 people in the UK and yes,in stock.

You didn't ask, but Golden Nuggets? Bazooka Joes? Yes and yes.

Oodles

Miss H

I think.....

I'm in love, but I'm trying to keep Miss Hope at arms length

She walks me dangerously up the yes ladder with her "cornucopia of confectionary"

I bet she's secretly married to a cosmetic dentist & that shop is but a baited trap

"Snap" it goes & traps my heart

Naughty.....(but nice)

W**F