Primary school place allocation chaos has started!

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

The scorecard Ofsted use do

> seem a little skewed. I understand Goose Green's

> ratings have suffered by not having enoguh

> community involvement. Not having a door cut

> through the listed building from reception to

> outside. ...

> But I'm surprised the teaching is'nt given more

> emphasis in this scorecard system. ...surely

> happy, cared for kids that are loeanring lots is

> more important than whether a school gets nearby

> businesses of non parents involved.

This was the thing I was posting in response to. Because I don't read any of the reports on GG as not giving emphasis on teaching (or learning!)

Fuschia, I agree with you insofar as GG is not in SM because of a door. It remains in SM as I read the most recent report because it did not demonstrate "community cohesion" and had not implemented a software package which tracks the pupils progress; the latter now done, the former being firmly and enthusiastically addressed.

Your post reprinted a very lengthy extract from an Ofsted inspection which is 2 years old raising concerns which have been robustly addressed to HMI satisfaction and are not the reason why this school is not, yet, out of SM.

It would be a shame if people reading the forum got the impression that the matters raised in 2008 are the reasons why GG remains in SM. The high regard in which it is held by parents of children who attend the school is clear and we look forward to coming out of SM and welcoming next year's intake who will hopefully join with a positive attitude and help give us that push we need to be another great local school.

Fuschia, I agree with Mrs Lotte regarding GG school - it is a shame if readers of this forum read the out of date negative points raised by Ofsted on your post. If you have personal experience of the school, then fair enough, but if not, please think before you type. I know you were replying to James Barber, but it was quite a big 'cut and paste'!

I'd urge anyone who is worried about any local school to visit in person and form your own opinion. Ofsted reports are useful, but are only part of the picture. And local hearsay can sometimes be very unhelpful......

I think I have always been postive about GG.. my view is that everyone should attend their local school, and in these days of scarce places it would be foolish for a family not to put their closest school as first choice.

However I stand by my view that for a local councillor (responsible for the standards in local schools) to poo poo the OFSTED process is just trying to deflect criticism away from Southwark. The latest monitoring report shows a lot of improvements and speaks well of the new school leadership. But is is just out and out untrue that the OFSTED process doesnt have teaching and learning at its core (and I selected content from the reports that shows indeed they do!)

If James Barber is ignorant of school standards and the inspection regime then he is hardly in a position to advise people here!

If GG was my local school, I would certainly apply to it and hope to get a place. But I would also want to see it out of special measures asap, and I wouldn't be very impressed if someone tried to tell me the OFSTED process is irrelevant.

Edited to add:

I did post something to a thread in June 09 where there was a discussion about GG

"I think if your child is at a school in special measures, you need to get a copy of the action plan, arrange regular meetings between parents, chair of governors and the headteacher, and raise your concerns if you feel your child's teacher is not performing adequately. Sadly, a child who has a bad year due to poor teaching will never get to repeat that year, and some years like reception, year 1, year 2, year 6 are particularly key.

I think I'd choose an improving school locally rather than a school miles away, if that was the choice! But while resources are aimed at schools in SM, those resources are not always effective, sadly." http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?25,273848,page=3

I apologise if my post was thought to trivialise issues. Clearly not my intention.

One item of casework is trying to help with a Goose Green planning application + listed consent application around a new door from a reception classroom to outside space. I've been told this lack of direct access does affect how Ofsted rates Goose Green school and when it is likely to be considered out of special measures.

Equally should a school be kept in special measures because it has'nt implimented a software package?

Clearly Ofsted isn't reflecting on the schooling kids receive but about on facet of how that schooling is organised - sounds like tick box inspecting. Ofsted should be more than that. Were all schools bad at tracking pupil progress before software packages. The point should be does a should have a system for such tracking.

Again, if anyone out their has experience of being an Ofsted inspector, or knows such an inspector, I'd be delighted to meet and learn more about the process and what should and should not be read into the inspections.

James, my experience of Ofsted and their tick boxes is that much of what is mentioned in the reports comes from what staff, governors and parents have told them. My reading of this quote from a recent monitoring visit at GG is that the school had previously talked about implementing a software package but have not yet done it due to disagreements over whether it was suitable. This does not mean that a school needs a software package to assess children's attainment well, it means that the school said something along the lines of: "we know we need to improve the tracking of children's attainment and we are going to introduce x system" and then have delayed doing it for whatever reason.

The school?s analysis of the progress and attainment

of pupils and groups remains limited and not fully accurate, and thus not leading

sufficiently to further targeted improvement. It has taken too long for staff and

governors to agree to purchase a new assessment software package, delaying

progress in this area. All these factors are potential barriers to the school leaving an

Ofsted category."

Having a robust system for tracking attainment enables schools to see where there are gaps in attainment (classes or year groups) and which children are doing well or falling behind (vulnerable groups, ethnic groups, gender, socio-economic groupings etc.) This then backs up the assertion that teaching and learning is good or otherwise (Teaching is good because attainment and progress in all classes/subjects is good).

In terms of the door to the outside from the Reception classes, it is considered good practice that children have the opportunity to do as much learning outside as inside. Having direct access to the outside enables that to happen much more readily and therefore enables the EYFS to be judged accordingly.

Ofsted reports do not give the whole picture of a school, and the reports, particularly with a school in SM like GG need to be read in sequence to see what has been done to improve the school and what is still to do. Overall, the fact that in this case the issues do not appear to be teaching and learning means that these areas are now of an acceptable standard, and that is no small task. It sounds like they really have turned a corner and I hope they continue to do well. I can also vouch for how important parental support of a school is. Having parents engaged in and supportive of the work of the school makes such a difference.

misticnutmeg - quite a few people rent in this area for one thing (myself included). I think private school fees must be about 10k a year? We don't have that. Hence our interest in primary school allocations.

misticnitmeg or misticnutter?

Your comments are somewhat belligerent and your responses inappropriately aggressive. It's unnecessary on this thread, and is preventing you from being taken seriously. You might consider moderating your tone if you want your views to carry any weight.

Fliss Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If we don't get our choices, will we be allowed to

> know why and on what grounds? Surely, under the

> Freedom of Information Act (2000), we should have

> access to this information?

Yes, yo9u can find out what criteria were used for each school and how you compared

For eg last year on initial allocs Heber took pupils for whom it wa their closest school, living lkess than 611m by sshortest walking route (and noone for whom it wasn't their cloest school) You could have found out the distance from your house to each of your choices, I am sure

This year distances will be shorter as measure has changed to as the crow flies

Lewisham were more helpful than Southwark last year - in the letter you got from the schools you applied to they told you how many metres you live from the school and how many metres away the furthest child who got in lived. We didn't get any of our four choices initially but my daughter started school in January (at her second choice which we got offered a place at during the shake down) and then two weeks in to term we got a place at our first choice - we were 7th on waiting list when the places were first allocated, so there is hope!!)

clux Wrote:

We didn't get any of our four choices initially but my daughter

> started school in January (at her second choice

> which we got offered a place at during the shake

> down) and then two weeks in to term we got a place

> at our first choice - we were 7th on waiting list

> when the places were first allocated, so there is

> hope!!)

This is what we are worried about, unlikely to get into our nearest 7 on the first round. I called lewisham and the next round/ short lists will take about 6 weeks. Then southwark will have their shortlist a few weeks later. It may well be at least two months of uncertinty and then sitting it out on the waiting list. The scrutiny suggested that southwark admissions check-in with lewisham admissions and chase up those holding places in two boroughs. This would speed up the process. We have done a good job of keeping quite about this issue around our son but now his friends and the mums are talking about where they are going its getting tricky.

Ps If southwark had stuck to their origional date not only would their first round be over, it's also reduced the relevance of lewishams second round and slowed up the system by over a month! Grrrrrrrrr....

Absolutely delighted to be elected as a Peckham Rye councillor on Thursday alongside Gavin and Renata. I very much hope that tomorrow's allocations go smoothly and the great majority of parents get a place at their first choice school.

As the strength of feeling on the allocations was such a big issue on the doorstep I'm also keen that the new Labour administration does all it can in the coming days and weeks to deal with any queries or problems. If you live in Peckham Rye and have a problem with your allocation please do email your councillors on [email protected] (we are yet to get Southwark emails) or give me a ring on 07867782964.

Best wishes,

Victoria.

Peckham Rye Labour

?Online offers will be available to view online from 5pm on 10 May 2010

?Paper offers will be sent out by first class post on 10 May 2010

?Acceptance of all offers by parents and carers is required by the closing date of 21 May 2010, any offers not accepted by parents and carers may be withdrawn

?A further round of offers is made for places freed up by any declined offers in May 2010

?Appeals for school places will be heard June/July 2010

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200172/school_admissions/1209/nursery_and_primary_school_admissions

Primary school admissions announced today.

They will see 84% of applications getting 1st choice and 94% getting choices 1-4. See attached.

(Lambeth achieved 75%, Lewisham 90% getting choices 1-5).

This is a huge success and testament to the great leadership shown by Cllr Nick Stanton and the hard work by council officers.

The process of placing bulge classes with demand, although adding some days to the process, has allowed this. I hope this process it followed in subsequent years under the new Labour administration to ensure this level of success is sustained.

However, if you have any problems with your admissions results please do get in touch with me ASAP so I can help.

Tomorrow I hope to have the break down for East Dulwich.