Heber is to have a bulge class

It is going to be a squeeze! Hope the quality of the education is not affected by this and that the promise of additional funds over the next few years is not compromised should there be a change of council and/or govt. There must be reassurances but I am not sure they can be guaranteed from one financial year to another. I am hoping I am wrong.

Playgrounds are going to be a bit fun at drop off/pick up time!!

Of course that decision will not have been made simply on the fact that there were 80 chilren putting it down as first choice. No doubt Southwark have foeseen a problem in this area and have gone around their schools pleading to see who can accomodate more this year.

LordshipLaneMum Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So they had 80 applicants as first choice and have

> 80 places...that seems a bit perfect?

They will have 90 places, 3 classes of 30. Apparently there were 70 families chose it as 2nd or 3rd choice.

Princess Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Does this mean 80 more mum's and dad's sitting on

> my front wall every day at drop off and pick up

> times?!

30. Though the plan is to have a separate gate for reception in Jennings Rd.

Without condoning their behaviour in any way (I've seen it!), Princess, you did know there was a school across the road when you moved in;-)

I am still struggling to envisage where the extra 30 kids are going to be placed. There are two classrooms which have open access to a play area and as I understand it, access to open playground is a must for reception provision. Where will the 3rd classroom be?

Also, where will the children from the bulge class be placed once they move on up through the school? Will it only be a bulge for one year?

Thanks squiggles, I get that. Just wondering where this extra yr 1, yr 2 etc class will go when the school has already got rid of it's art class because of the need for classrooom space. Perhaps there is a broom closet they are not using.

Surely once they have found one extra classroom, they have enough room for the bulge class as it moves up the school? And presumably the school would not have agreed to the bulge class unless it thought it had somewhere to put it?

I think the bigger issue is what this does to the sibling policy in future years - more children in this year must mean more siblings in future years.

Lewisham need to open 17 bulge classes across the Borough. It isn't really a question of the schools concerned agreeing to take an extra class; if they refuse, the local authority has the power to direct them to take an additional class. It's much better for the schools who are approached to take a bulge class to agree to this before the first round of offers goes out, then at least they get their extra class filled with children who have given that school as their first priority. If they refuse to take the extra class initially, by the time the local authority directs them to take a bulge class, that extra class could get filled up with chilren who would not necessarily be local to the school.