Buggies backcarriers and planes...advice please

KBN

I'm flying with my 11 month old on Friday.

I'd like to take our Maclaren and our back carrier. Is it true that you are usually allowed to take buggies to the gate before they are stowed in the hold? This would help greatly with naps.

If we are made to check in the Maclaren, does anyone have any experience of the large rucksack style back carriers (with metal frame) being allowed as hand luggage... or not. It is a bit big, but I'm hopeful...

Also, how do I wrap the buggy/carrier for the hold if necessary. Are there bags there, or should I find my own (somewhere...)

I can't get anywhere with calling my airline (SAS).

Thank you!

K

You are normally allowed to walk with the buggy all the way to th doors of the plane where you leave it and someone puts it on the plane for you. make sure when you are checking in you let them know as they normally give you a tag for the buggy.

I have just got back from travelling with an 11 month old and they let me take my buggy to the door - they give you a tag at check in as mentioned above. I didn't put mine in a case but wrapped a luggage strap round it so i knew it was mine. Be warned though that on both the way out and way back they didn't bring the buggy back to the plane door when we landed which meant i had to carry him for about 45 mins when i landed at Gatwick - and at 11kg that resulted in very achy arms!!

Long haul (NZ) I've always been able to take the buggy right up to the plane, and have got it back on the air bridge as we've left the plane. Short haul within the UK we've also been able to take it right up to the plane, but more often than not it gets returned with the normal luggage.

I think you'd probably struggle being allowed to take a framed back carrier on as hand luggage, as it would be difficult to fit in the overhead lockers. We've always used a Patapum (similar to an Ergo) for this purpose, which rolls up very small as it doesn't have a structured frame.

P x

My son is 10 months now - we've flown to 3 different European countries and to SA and on all occasions we've taken the maclaren right to the door without any problems at all - getting the buggy back has sometimes been a pain though as there's often confusion as to if you should wait just off the plane for it otherwise it's sent onto a carousel or its dumped near the carousels! A sling is a very good idea - we use the Ergo and its worked well.