My Specilized Sirrus Hybrid bike was stolen last night (Lytcott Grove)

neubi

We had a BBQ last night and were out in the garden until midnight. I usually keep my bike inside - last night I thought it could stay in the garden and at 6.30am this morning it was gone! We are in Lytcott Grove, which is off Melbourne Grove. The scary thing is that you can?t see into the Garden from the street, so either the neighbours saw an opportunity or - much worse - there might be people going through the gardens in the area on a regular basis?! If anybody finds it or gets offered a Sirrus, please let me know.

sorry to hear about your bike neubi have a look at this thread and report it to the police quickly.

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,452943,453129,quote=1#REPLY

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry to hear about your bike otto. It may be on

> the way to Brick Lane or on Gumtree but do report

> it to the police.

>

> My son had his robbed three weeks ago and within

> 36 hours the police arrested someone riding it.

> I had engraved our postcode under the axle so it

> was easily identifiable once they had pulled the

> person.

> When I collected it from Peckham Police Station

> the cops were overjoyed that they could return

> one.

> It was in a pile of about 15 other bikes non of

> which had been reported. The area was full until

> recently I'd guess it would easily hold at least

> 50 or 60 bikes. They keep the unclaimed ones for a

> while then

> send them for auction with the proceeds going to

> charity.

>

> So if you love your bike make a note of the frame

> number, mark it with your postcode

> might be a good idea to take a photo too and if it

> does get nicked tell the law.

sorry to hear about your bike neubi have a look at this thread and report it to the police quickly.

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,452943,453129,quote=1#REPLY

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> My son had his robbed three weeks ago and within

> 36 hours the police arrested someone riding it.

> I had engraved our postcode under the axle so it

> was easily identifiable once they had pulled the

> person.

> When I collected it from Peckham Police Station

> the cops were overjoyed that they could return

> one.

> It was in a pile of about 15 other bikes non of

> which had been reported. The area was full until

> recently I'd guess it would easily hold at least

> 50 or 60 bikes. They keep the unclaimed ones for a

> while then

> send them for auction with the proceeds going to

> charity.

>

> So if you love your bike make a note of the frame

> number, mark it with your postcode

> might be a good idea to take a photo too and if it

> does get nicked tell the law.

Sorry to hear about your bike neubi. My Cannondale bike was stolen from the front garden of my house on Whateley Road on Saturday night. I reckon i've had at least 7 bikes stolen in London over the last 12 years. I'm progressively buying cheaper and cheaper bikes as i know they're not going to last long! It seems to make little difference what kind of lock i have either. My last lock was a ?50 'Gold' standard.

On the bright side it gives me the opportunity to buy a new Specialized Langster which i've had my eye on for a while!

sorry to hear, I too am on Lytcott Grove, I just cleaned out my shed and thought I would leave the bikes chained up in the garden. I have put them back in the shed now untill I buy a bike box. Hopefully yours may turn up there are still some decent people out there. good luck.

If you leave a bike overnight and outdoors in London, almost regardless of what it was or was not locked up with, it will be gone / bits of it will be missing come the morning.

Spend 10% of the bike's cost on locks and never leave it anywhere where someone can have time alone with it. Keep it indoors overnight.

I've lived in London for 10 years and never had a bike stolen, and I ride every day.

Believe me there are people walking around your gardens every night- watching what bikes you have- just coming up and trying door handles. If you know this I know it is a little paranoid but it is pretty true. The one night you have a few drinks/ get distracted and don't lock up is the night the bike goes.

Thank you for all your comments. I was wondering if anybody knows where stolen bikes will be sold in this area. Is there a second hand bike shop anywhere were I should have a look this weekend? I will also have to buy a new bike and was considering to buy one second hand. However I don?t want to buy a stolen one, how can I make sure I don?t? Womanofdulwich I have secured all windows, doors and installed alarms now just in case people come by on a regular basis. In that light I?d rather have they run with a bike from the garden then coming into the house?.

sunday is the main 'fence' day.

tbh in south London a lot of bikes get shifted on the street for ?20 / down the pub.

BL mainly seems to have bikes that were nicked locally, if friends who've spotted theirs there are anything to go by.

(Best procedure with BL is to go down with a largeish mate and a Kryptonite lock - lock the bike up you suspect as being yours and phone the police - be prepared to run for it until the police come)

Here is a link to The Lambeth Police responding online re: bike thefts in Herne Hill. Ummm...would be great if Southwark could provide the same kind of dialogue...

I just received a "your bike theft case is now closed" letter one week later. A bit more detail might have been helpful. For instance, do the police stations check with the other local police that hold stolen bikes (Brixton) to try and locate bikes? Should I periodically check there myself?

http://www.hernehillforum.org.uk/community_forum/$forum_topics~ViewTopic?id=18661d61-b449-4ca4-88d4-06eda233941c&page=1&source=ActivityLog#18661d61-b449-4ca4-88d4-06eda233941c