Lucyalexandra

Toffee Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Look, the brexits won. Do you not realise how

> you're coming across? Its like "how dare anyone

> disagree with my point of view..." Get used to the

> fact. No matter how many petitions are signed

> nothing will change.

That last three words may end up being more true than you thought.

But despite having voted remain, I too am uncomfortable with this attempt to go back on a democratic vote (although if a second referendum happened - which it won't - I'd still happily vote remain and hope for a different result)..

What is an amusing irony is that this petition was apparently started by a hard right leaver, in preparation for a remain victory.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/william-oliver-healey-referendum-petition_uk_576f8b28e4b0232d331e1b39

The reason I signed this petition is not because I think it will lead to a second referendum, but because it will reinforce the message to those in power that the country is strongly and passionately divided over this matter. This ought to inform what they choose to do next.

It's in the same class as Nicola Sturgeon's attempt to block Brexit. It's unlikely to 'work' in and of itself - but it will send the same powerful message.

I think there's a very good reason why we've had so few national referenda in this country - and why many countries don't have them at all. They divide people and do not lead to the resolution of real problems.

I think those in power can see that there is a divide - it hardly takes a genius or some bogus petition to tell us that!

The only message the petition sends is that there's a lot of numpties out there who only 'like' democracy if it goes their way. More people voted leave than remain - people should suck it up and get on with it. I voted to remain, but I strongly object to the criticism by those that are just poor losers, of the choice of others and of their motives and levels of intelligence. Maybe some day you should drive out of your metropolitan bubble and see how things are out there with people beyond the M25 - they are not all stupid, or racist nutters you know.

robbin Wrote:

> they are not all stupid,

> or racist nutters you know.

I'm sorry if someone has made that statement to you robbin. I'm pleased to say that I didn't.

I have received an email from Helen Hayes in response to one I sent her expressing my concerns about the result of the referendum. It was a long reply and sent also to the many people who have contacted her so I think it is probably OK for me to reproduce some excerpts here:

"The blatant dishonesty of the Leave campaign, combined with the closeness of the result and the exclusion of 16 and 17 year olds from the ballot, to my mind create a very strong case for a second referendum. This second vote should give electors aged 16 and above the final say in accepting or rejecting a detailed proposal on the terms under which the UK would leave the European Union, a decision the consequences of which would reverberate for decades. I will do everything possible to ensure that Parliament explores this possibility to its fullest extent and would of course once again strongly campaign against these proposals to leave the European Union.

"I am afraid, however, that despite my very strong support for the Remain campaign, I cannot back the proposal for Parliament to reject the referendum result. Support for the Remain campaign was highest in London and Scotland, while devastatingly low in many other parts of the country and I don?t believe that a plan to override the expressed wishes of voters in large parts of the rest of the UK would be credible.

"I also believe that the strong support for Leave in parts of the UK was as much a vote against the political establishment as it was a vote against the EU, and for a part of the political establishment then simply to disregard the result would be highly divisive and potentially dangerous. We need to work instead on a vision for the country which addresses the concerns people have been seeking to express by supporting Leave, which unites our communities and which offers hope for the future.

I will campaign for a second referendum based on honesty about the consequences of leaving the EU, but the decision about whether to Leave or Remain must continue to rest with the British people."

I'm impressed

Well Cameron has just ruled out a second referendum, and Helen Hayes has just basically said she (and I suspect that'll be the common answer) won't back asking parliament to reject the result.

So that's that.

EVERYONE is entitled to stand up for what they believe in, but this is a gross, underhand thing to do. See attached. Sorry, cant seem to upload photo, but according to the newspaper "A 3.5 million-name petition calling for a second referendum was placed under investigation after 77,000 signatures were found to be fraudulent"

I don't know why you are trying so hard, Toffee. So, some people tried to hack the petition and failed. The 77k names have been removed.

3,754,091 names still remain. It only needed 100k to get the discussion in parliament.

Otta Wrote:

> Well Cameron has just ruled out a second

> referendum, and Helen Hayes has just basically

> said she (and I suspect that'll be the common

> answer) won't back asking parliament to reject the

> result.

>

> So that's that.

Hi Otta. I wouldn't agree that 'that's that' yet. Helen Hayes seems to be saying that while a re-run of the first referendum would not be right, she will fight to get a different referendum further down the line. In this a wider electorate (including 16 year olds and above) will be asked if they accept the precise terms which will, at that stage, have been negotiated with the EU for an exit.

Otta Wrote:

> Well Cameron has just ruled out a second

> referendum, and Helen Hayes has just basically

> said she (and I suspect that'll be the common

> answer) won't back asking parliament to reject the

> result.

>

> So that's that.

Cameron has said a lot of things since 2010 where the opposite has happened, the most recent being that Article 50 will be invoked immediately upon the result of the Referendum. So that's not necessarily that.

Toffee Wrote:

> Look, the brexits won. Do you not realise how

> you're coming across? Its like "how dare anyone

> disagree with my point of view..." Get used to the

> fact. No matter how many petitions are signed

> nothing will change.

Its not a knock out match like the last 16 in the Euros - this is about how the UK will exist for the next 50/100 years & maybe more. It needs review & mature contemplation & also another more informed plebiscite. The fact is a lot of people were mislead and this needs to be addressed in the best interests of all the population and not just to satisfy a mean bunch of laughing boys & spivs.....

Brussels has also emphatically ruled out informal talks on a possible trade deal before the UK triggers article 50. ?No notification, no negotiation,? one official said on Sunday. A diplomat added: ?If they treat their referendum as a non-event, we will also treat their referendum as a non-event.? Once the trigger is pulled, then you are on the way out. Europe is simply saying, 'Put up or shut up'