Cycling: issues/noticeboard

Ladymuck

Horsebox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm pretty much in agreement with DaveR...

In which case I shall respectfully cut and paste what I said to DaveR:

"My suggestion was merely hypothetical, but I am flattered that you have chosen to take it as seriously as you have.:))

Incidentally, do you have any constructive ideas to put forward? I would be very interested in hearing them.

*sits cross-legged facing oak tree, takes a deep breath and...OHHHMMMMMM*

Personally, I can't see why cycles should not have a registration plate/sticker/whatever that the police can use to trace the owner.

Why shouldn't it be this way? Every other vehicle on the road has to have one.

I would like to nominate LM as our Bicycle Tsar (or Tsarina). First thing when I get home, I will check my bike's serial number and forward it to LM so I can claim the number one spot in the database.

I know what you mean Quids. Which is why I'm really pleased with the coalition's plans for bringing back freedoms to the UK.

How about 'registered with the DVLA' like every other vehicle?

"On the grounds of traceability, the identification of cyclists/bikes, simplification of insurance claims/police reports, the ability to reunite owners with lost/stolen bikes"

If this is for the benefit of bike owners, then it seems excessive to make it compulsory

If this is for a wider 'public good' reason then it needs to be clearly articulated to justify compulsion - presumably with penalties for non-compliance.

Loz Wrote:

> Personally, I can't see why cycles should not have

> a registration plate/sticker/whatever that the

> police can use to trace the owner.

>

> Why shouldn't it be this way? Every other vehicle

> on the road has to have one.

Indeed Loz, I have one. But then I also have third party insurance.

kpc Wrote:

> I would like to nominate LM as our Bicycle Tsar

> (or Tsarina). First thing when I get home, I will

> check my bike's serial number and forward it to LM

> so I can claim the number one spot in the

> database.

*curtseys respectfully*

Really can?t see the point of cyclists having 3rd party insurance. If a cyclist has a crash with a vehicle they usually end up dead with the vehicle having nothing more than a scratch or a broken wing mirror or a nasty stain on the tyre. The damage probably wouldn?t exceed the excess on the policy.

skidmarks Wrote:

> Really can?t see the point of cyclists having 3rd

> party insurance. If a cyclist has a crash with a

> vehicle they usually end up dead with the vehicle

> having nothing more than a scratch or a broken

> wing mirror or a nasty stain on the tyre. The

> damage probably wouldn?t exceed the excess on the

> policy.

With due respect, there is every point. Many years ago my brakes suddenly failed causing me to crash into the back of a truck. Fortunately there was no damage to the truck, but only because of a large whicker basket attached to the front of my bike which acted as a kind of buffer between the bike/truck. In this situation I would have been liable for any damage to the truck. Also, do bear in mind that insurance is not only about vehicles. There are plenty of accidents involving cyclists/pedestrians and even cyclists/other cyclists.

As for deaths, fortunately these are relatively few compared with non-death accidents. Indeed I myself have been knocked off my bike three times now...I'm still here ;-).

Sensibly sized, well thought out cycle lanes, perhaps separated from particularly busy roads, and penalties for drivers who cross into them. There are some amazingly ill thought lanes on the roads/pavements.

The Guardian's bike blog is particularly keen on writing about it:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/may/20/super-bike-lane

Also like to see the introduction of a 3 point endorsement for any driver stupid enough to quip "Bloody Cyclists not payin road tax".

And finally, more mutual respect between all road users.

Welcome. The second point was tongue in cheek but, well, y'know...no such thing as road tax etc www.ipayroadtax.com (although not sure about those jerseys)...

The bike blog has had some interesting instalments, in particular yesterdays one on female cyclists vulnerability to lorries and last months look at police MTB training - some of the features can be a bit preaching to the converted but well worth a read anyway, IMHO.

(Edited once for iphone URL shenanigans)

Photographic record of ill thought out cycle lanes

http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/facility-of-the-month/

I have seen some of Boris?s Cycle Super Highways going down on Clapham Road. Not exactly ?super? just the usual advisory cycle lanes but in blue. I?ve got a picture somewhere.

As about as ill thought through as his replacement to the bendy bus, replacing it with a bus that has less room and seats downstairs than a typical double decker. I know the bendy bus is not the most well loved vehicle especially for cyclist but given its dues it is the most accessible bus for the disabled, elderly and people with buggies.

Sorry that was off topic.

skidmarks Wrote:

> Sorry that was off topic.

No matter - you are in the Lounge...we can do more or less what we like (provided we do not breach the Forum's rules).;-)

skidmarks Wrote:

> Super?

>

> What do you think?

Well, it appears sufficiently wide and it is linked to an Advanced Stop Lane. Good start. But cross the lights and then it stops - abruptly. Then what?

Also, it looks to me as though this particular one also forms part of a Bus Lane? Hmmmm, it would have been nicer/safer had we been given our own lane. And what's with the blue? Very pretty - but we are all used to green. It's better than nothing, but "super"? In my opinion - no. Shame.

Interesting though.

Here is the TfL web page. Look at the first picture in the artists impressions section and then look at the photo I attached again.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/11901.aspx?lid=switcher

The artist impression shows the lanes being advisory meaning traffic can legally enter the cycle lane. The nearside lane (nearest the kerb) in the photo is now not wide enough for even the smallest vehicle meaning that they sill straddle the cycle lane while using this lane. So much for safe, fast direct routes!

*off to buy shares in blue surfacing company*

Loz Wrote:

> Having a look at the Warrington site... this

> picture made me laugh. Now this is a crap cycle

> lane.

>

East Dulwich Sainsburys has made it on there. See April 2008

Loz Wrote:

> Having a look at the Warrington site... this

> picture made me laugh. Now this is a crap cycle

> lane.

>

> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/wcc/facility

> -of-the-month/porteouverte.jpg

Oh how funny! When you stated that it is a "crap cycle lane", was this because one presumably cycles into the hut for a poo? That is a loo in there?

kpc Wrote:

> When I see the words "National Database", that's

> when I reach for my revolver.

Oh well you've nothing to get anxious about then - given that you are in all probability already on the Police National DNA Database...;-)

DaveR Wrote:

> If this is for the benefit of bike owners, then it

> seems excessive to make it compulsory

>

> If this is for a wider 'public good' reason then

> it needs to be clearly articulated to justify

> compulsion - presumably with penalties for

> non-compliance.

Now these sound like excellent proposals for clauses 2 and 3 of the (hypothetical) proposed Bill. Presumably you will be posting a draft for our perusal in due course?;-)