Cycling: issues/noticeboard

Ladymuck

waynetta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Motorists. Enjoy the freedom of cycling by

> removing your windscreen, sticking half a melon

> skin on your head...

you forgot about protection for those phalanges...5 used condoms stitched together perhaps?

Big groan...

Came home tonight and it was starting to get dark (boooo!) so I switched the lights on... and wondered for the umpteenth time which mode is most effective for drivers to spot you...

Steady beam, flashing or the weird 'ripple' on the rear one? I always think that the flashing draws the eye a little more and makes it more obvious but a driver pal said that he finds them more irritating.

Applespider Wrote:

>I always think that the flashing draws

> the eye a little more and makes it more obvious

> but a driver pal said that he finds them more

> irritating.

Apparently, there is (somewhere) an old archaic law which says that bike lights should be static (i.e. non-flashing). This is because flashing lights are less visible from a distance. A policeman told me this. He also said you are unlikely to be done for cycling with flashing lights. I have static lights and an extra rear light set to flashing so that I can be seen clearly both from a distance and close up.

As far as lights are concerned the more and the brighter the better. I have a very bright static fixed to my handlebars and a forward facing flashing on top of my helmet. Apparantly having two light allows other road users to judge their distance from you more effectively. Also having a light high up helps visbility when you are in traffic. At the back i always use the red light on flashing mode - it has to be more noticeable that way. (I think the law stating that lights fixed to the bike must be non-flashing has been repealed?) I also have some flashing lights fixed to the spokes of my wheels - good for sideways on visibility. All in all I'm lit up like an effing christmas tree!

omniprescient Wrote:

(I think the law stating that lights

> fixed to the bike must be non-flashing has been

> repealed?)

Interesting. I tried to verify the policeman's statement but couldn't find anything. Perhaps it's because - as you say - the law has been repealed. It would be good to know the position for sure though - anyone?

>I also have some flashing lights fixed

> to the spokes of my wheels - good for sideways on

> visibility. All in all I'm lit up like an effing

> christmas tree!

Brilliant! At least, in the unfortunate event that you should become involved in a traffic accident, the driver will not be able to say : "I didn't see him/her" - which is what I have been told each time I have been hit by a car!

From the Highway Code:

At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp.

[Law RVLR regs 13, 18 & 24)]

Marvellous - I did know the Highway Code allowed flashing ones - but was curious to see what others did.

As regards the pedal reflectors, mine keep falling off... and they're hard to get hold of. Evans/Cycle Surgery didn't have any - denied there was any need for them and said that they'd never heard of anyone get done for it - so didn't stock them.

I haven't been riding that much in the evenings so only have front/rear. Good idea about having an extra one higher up too - will look into it if I do end up continuing the commute into the autumn evenings.

Hmmm... guess it's lucky I didn't go for the fluorescent green hi=vis or it really would look like a Christmas tree.

From a motorists point of view:

flashing lights grab my attention earlier than the 'steady' lights.

Rear flashing lights seem to be more noticeable when they are fitted beneath the seat horizontally

If you can afford two lots of lights do so.

If you wear trousers rather than using clips,

try the ones which capture light, they wrap around your ankle like tape,

the movement made when pedaling makes you far more visible.

SteveT Wrote:

> From a motorists point of view...

Now that's really constructive. Thanks Steve T. Any other drivers with constructive viewpoints/observations like Steve's?...anything which helps cyclists/drivers assist each other has to be a good thing. And if the end result = less accidents, then even better.

(tu)

I had an accident not too long ago. Stationary traffic at lights started to move and a car turned left alongside me and stopped when my head was just 3 inches from being under the rear wheel. A helmet defintely saved my head from injury....but had the driver looked before turning left there would have been no accident at all. Bad and stupid cyclists aside....some drivers need to be more aware of what's happening around them and anything a cyclist can do to make themselves as visible as possible has to be common sense too. Too often drivers who hit cyclists and indeed motorcyclists offer the excuse 'I didn't see them' when actually what they mean is they didn't look.

Something I have on my bicycle are tyres with a thin silver reflective strip on both sides. And I also have reflective bits on my helmet too. And then I have a flashing rear light on both my bicycle and clipped to my backpack. That should be enough.

DJKQ wrote:-

Something I have on my bicycle are tyres with a thin silver reflective strip on both sides. And I also have reflective bits on my helmet too. And then I have a flashing rear light on both my bicycle and clipped to my backpack. That should be enough.

I agree it should but being caught out by a vehicle turning left because he (the driver) hadn't looked out for you seems rather risky relying on the motorist.

I am very cautious around cyclists and give them time and space to manouvre,

but I am also caught out by them when they appear from behind me and on the inside,

it is as if they come out of nowhere,

and have taken me by surprise several times and I really am careful to look out for cyclists.

Cyclists 'undertaking' on the inside will always be a problem since the placement of cycle lanes/bus lanes suggest to them that's where they should be - so they use them to get to ASL feeders. Personally, if the gap looks too narrow, the traffic is about to move off or the car ahead of me is indicating left, then I'll sit behind him - but there are lots who don't.

There are good/bad cyclists and drivers. I nearly got taken out on Friday morning at Herne Hill while turning right by a bad driver. Coming out of Half Moon Lane I was in the right hand lane since I wanted to turn right into Dulwich Road. The lights for turning were on green, I'd signalled clearly (to the bus behind me) and was about to turn. An idiot (with headphones in) in a grey mini-van swung over from the left hand lane, across mine and turned right in front of me. Luckily, I spotted him and managed to slow down before we collided. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to catch him up or see if there were any markings on the van. Now he may have seen me but figured he was in a bigger hurry and could get round in front of me but either way, hitting me would have wasted more of his time in the long run.

Steve T - thanks for the input on the lights. I'll continue to set them to flashing for now...

The motorist that turned left was completely at fault (and wasn't indicating either). I was in a cycle lane too so that tells any driver to double check the lane before crossing it. When you turn (or do any manouvre) you should always check immediately before carrying it out - every road user learns that, but some forget to do it. I had absolutely no time to react. And many cyclists get hit by cars that overtake them and turn in front of them (and those are cyclists the driver did see).

Obviously there are some cyclists, just like drivers who ride dangerously but there are some drivers who also don't have any respect for cyclists.

Daizie, cyclists are never going to win in a collision with a car. Car's however kill people every day and the majority of collisions are between motor vehicles. So maybe it's car's that are too dangerous to be on the roads not cyclists. What can be said though is that some drivers resent having to slow down for cyclists - which means the problem is one of attitude, not cycling in itself.

B.C. bikes in ED sell waterproof, reflective jackets (black or fluorescent yellow) with a built-in red LED flashing light on the back which is very noticeable as it sits much higher than the rear light on your bike. They are not cheap wherever you go but hopefully worth it for cycling home at night (tu)

come on DJKQ it works both ways - the attitudes and behaviour of some cyclists is no better than some motorists (as Applespider already said).

so if you are a cyclist, whether its right or not, YOU have to make sure that you take more precautions as you will inevitably come off worst in an accident (same as motorcyclists do, most of who seem to have a greater understanding of visibility and anticipation than other road users)

I totally agree with that...but when someone says cyclists shouldn't be on the road then I have to read that as a problem of attitude to cyclists.

The truth is that whatever form of transport you use the roads are there for all and part of being a safe driver is being aware of everything around you at all times. Most drivers/cyclists/ motorcyclists are safe thankfully and drive accordingly. Buses drivers on the other hand...lol....

Sandperson Wrote:

> northlondoner Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Sandperson Wrote:

> >

> --------------------------------------------------

>

> > -----

> > >

> > >

> > > Northlondoner. I look forward to seeing you

> > sued.

> > > Why do you come on these threads if you hate

> > > cyclists so much?

> >

> > Sandperson, I happen to be a cyclist. I just

> don't

> > happen to think that when I get out of my car

> and

> > onto my bike, that I am magically exempted from

> > the laws of the road, common courtesy or - most

> > importantly - physics.

> >

> > And funny you should mention recourse to legal

> > action. Last week a friend of mine was sat

> > stationary in a jam when a cyclist runs into

> the

> > back of her, trying to squeeze through the

> lanes

> > of traffic. He ended up on his arse, in the

> middle

> > of the road. He's only agreed to pay for the

> > damage to my mate's car after being threatened

> > with the police and lawyers. So yes, if some

> over

> > adrenalised tw@t does wobble over my bonnet,

> I'm

> > the one who'll be suing.

> >

> > So,I wonder if the time has come for cyclists,

> > like other road users, to have some form of

> > registration ? I'd be happy to part with a few

> > pounds if it meant safer roads.

> >

> > And re your ban on criticism of cyclists, does

> it

> > merely apply to posting on this and other

> threads

> > -or does it extend to reading them as well?

> Just

> > asking, like.

>

> Oh, I get it. You're one of those perfect cyclists

> and perfect drivers. I didn't ban you from this or

> any other thread, that's not in my power more's

> the pity, I just don't understand why you have to

> be antagonistic and why you'd come on here to be

> so negative. Every time there's a cycling related

> thread you decide it's your place to tell us how

> crap we are. Your opinions for me were negated

> when you brushed aside a poster on this forum who

> had smashed their face up after hitting a pothole

> and facing thousands of pounds of dental treatment

> you said they should chalk it up to experience.

>

> As a daily cyclist I stop at red lights, let cars

> out in front of me and I'm courteous. I see

> countless examples of other riders, just like me,

> who obey the rules of the road and are

> responsible. I also see cyclists who aren't but

> the same goes for drivers.

>

> I am a British Cycling and British Triathlon

> member so I have 3rd party insurance.

>

> As for licensing bikes, where do you start? Does

> my two year old have to have a license on her push

> along? It's a ridiculous idea and unworkable.

I've actually noticed a lot more cyclists acting in a safe and sensible manner - that't to be applauded.

But your claim about my supposed response to the the guy who hit the pothole is as weird as it is wrong. Go back, read the posts. Search for "witnesses to large pothole" . You'll see I was suggesting ways of holding the council to account - as I've had a similar experience. The guy/woman who in effect said "get over it" was someone called Northernpup. Perhaps you were confused by the fact the poster's name had the word "north" in it. And you're arguing in absurdum with your point about registering two year old cyclists. That doesnt really advance matters. But congratulations on the Triathlon thing.