Cycling: issues/noticeboard

Ladymuck

Hmm... most bus drivers seem OK to me although the ones who overtake you only to pull back in 20m further up the road at the next stop are a pain.

My bete noire are minicab drivers - the ones in MPVs with the little white/blue roundel sticker in the window - and, in particular, Addison Lee ones. I'm beginning to wonder if there's an instruction booklet that comes with the little sticker that tells them to skim by cyclists with barely an inch of room and that they are allowed to ignore certain road-markings (eg solid white lines and ASLs)

Katie - motorcyclists have the advantage of having to pass a test so should have better overall awareness. But I hate having them allowed in the bus lanes as a cyclist or when they come into the ASLs and block it so cyclists can't therefore get in.

Cycling has only become popular in the last couple of years and us motorists are still getting used to this new army of people who come swiftly and quietly from out of nowhere to surprise us.

Us motorists all need time to get used to thinking 'bike' as we can easily forget and make crucial mistakes.

I think there is not enough protection, or seperation from traffic, for our cyclists.

The last thing a cyclist wants is to have to stop for any reason during the journey,

as re-starting the bike from a stand-still is a massive energy drain.

SteveT Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>...motorists are still getting used

> to this new army of people who come swiftly and

> quietly...

"swiftly and quietly"? Well SteveT, today I visited a friend who has just moved to Dunstan's Road. Jesus, I didn't realise just how hilly it is around there. By the time I reached my friend's house I was absolutely knackered...thought I was going to have a heart attack. So, "swiftly and quietly"? Hmmmm, I don't think so...more like huffing, puffing, groaning and struggling. Going home was fun though...freewheeled virtually all the way home...weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

I've been cycling in London for over 20 years and it has always been popular. What are you talking about Steve lol?

Cyclists are as valid a road user as any vehicle and given that a car can travel at much greater speed I hardly think cycling speeds are a worry. In fact the opposite is true. Drivers often misread the speed of a cyclist because their brain automatically thinks, 'cycle, I can go faster' which is why the most common accident involving cyclists are collisions after cars overtake them and turn left or right. Technically a cycle has the right to go as fast as the speed limit. Most cyclists can't cycle at 30mph, obviously but some can get up to 25 miles per hour.

Today I used the super highway for the first time (up and around Tower Bridge and the East End). The bit I used not only had a kerb seperating it from the road, but also another kerb seperating it from the pavement. That's how cycle lanes should be.

We should start o list of all those vehicles cyclist need to keep a special eye ut for.

Registered minicab drivers top of mine, followed by delivery drivers, anyone driving a modern Mercedes, and then ohter cyclists. There's a special place in cyclist hell for people with tinted windows too, but that's probably generic to all road users. Oh and Ruskin private hire and Clarkes buses.

I keep a special eye out for cars with diplomatic number plates (often large mercs with blacked-out windows). Obviously white-van -man in a rush to get to his next plumbing job is also a problem. BMW's (more so than mercs in general), sooped-up mitsubishi lancers, subaru imprezzas....the list is endless.

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Today I used the super highway for the first time

> (up and around Tower Bridge and the East End). The

> bit I used not only had a kerb seperating it from

> the road, but also another kerb seperating it from

> the pavement. That's how cycle lanes should be.

Agreed. The super-highways with a raised kerb are pretty good - it is obvious to all road users where they should be placed. Unfortunately the majority of "super-highways" I have cycled on are not demarcated by a raised kerb, which means that it is too easy for drivers to stray into the cyclist's designated area (as happens with the standard green cycle lanes).

ladymuck, since i went on that 32 mile bike ride that i told you about ( some of it torturous near camber) a little while ago i have not had the time to take the lessons as i have been mega busy on several projects. I do have my time back again though now yip yip. What do you recommend? many thanks hermanita. x

Ah! You've just reminded me karter (thanks)...

Another for the diary:

Sat. 4th September

Southwark Healthy Ride

Meet 10.00 am Decathlon Cafe, Surrey Quays

For easy-paced, sociable 2-hour exploration of local area on bike

Open to all

Also:

for other rides and events in/around London click here

Anyone got any idea what they're doing at the roundabout in Dulwich Village near the Picture Gallery?

It took an age to resurface and they'd built a little kerbed cycle lane. But I noticed last night that they appear to have removed the kerbs and tarmac'd over it although there's a 'hump' left in the road surface? Anyone got any idea why they wasted their money to build and then remove it?

Came off my bike today unintentionally for the first time since I was about 5!

Was coming along the cycle path at Vauxhall (the straight that runs alongside the pavement on the south side) before going onto South Lambeth Rd. There was a drunk man, clutching his beer can, standing in the middle of 'my' lane so I slowed down and prepared to go round him... at which point, he decided to move and stumbled back into my new path so I braked, swerved and ended up on the ground.

He was fine but kept trying to cuddle me to check I was OK which was less than pleasant while I was trying to re-attach the 'rain rim' of my helmet and set off again. And I'm going to have a killer bruise on my shin just down from the kneecap which obviously banged into part of the bike - it was slightly swollen by the time I got home and is v tender to the touch. Ah well... could have been worse - better to have to swerve and fall off avoiding a pedestrian while you're not that close to traffic!