Cycling: issues/noticeboard

Ladymuck

Ladymuck Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Did anyone go to the Skyride? Was it good? (Or

> not?)

I went.

The idea is great - streets of central London are car free for a day, cyclists can mooch around without the worry of getting squashed - however, the biggest danger on the day was, shock, horror, OTHER CYCLISTS!

Hordes of inexperienced, fair weather bikers with no spatial awareness; overexcited chavs, hooped up on Red Bull, bombing through congested streets on shitty mountain bikes (one smashing into a young girl at one point, sending her crashing to the ground), and competitive, lycra-clad fat dads, who just had to squeeze through the gap to get, ooh, 2 metres in front.

I can't knock the atmosphere though and the efforts are to be applauded, but it's difficult to appreciate the city as you ride. There was so much congestion that I found myself unable to fully take in the surroundings, for fear of stacking into the bike in front of me.

Definitely needs tweaking and is too 'stop and start' to really be a good day out.

I don't think I'll bother next year - the Dunwich Dynamo with my fellow chain-smoking, Campagnolo cap-wearing, fixie-riding hipsters is much more appealing.

edited for repetition.

I didn't go in the end. Decided it was probably just going to be too busy to get a decent ride in.

karter, you need (for the rest of this year apparently) to be a registered user of the Boris bikes and get a keyring token. They cost ?3 and you order one when you register online. You can get the token loaded with a one day access, a week's access or a year's access but the access doesn't start until you first unlock a bike with it. Once you've started the access period, any 30 minute journey is free (and you can do multiple 29min journeys). If you go over 30 minutes on any one journey, you get charged a usage fee which starts off fairly reasonable (?1 for up to an hour) and then escalates to discourage people getting and keeping a bike for a full day. If you lose the bike or damage it, you pay out (they have your credit card number) but your access fee does include insurance in case you cause any damage. I have my token but haven't used it yet - I've always had my own bike with me when I've been in the zone for now.

On a more fun note, I did put the light up straws from Lidl on the bike this weekend and cycled home in the dark. V cool - and, more pleasingly, I did feel like I got more room from drivers when they were merging from side roads.

Applespider Wrote:

> On a more fun note, I did put the light up straws

> from Lidl on the bike this weekend and cycled home

> in the dark. V cool - and, more pleasingly, I did

> feel like I got more room from drivers when they

> were merging from side roads.

Well that's interesting!

Did they come from Peckham AS? And were they simple to affix/install? I want, I want...

I asked Mum to pick me up a set at her closest branch in Scotland and stick them in the post :-$

Very very easy to install. They just click onto your spokes - press one end on, put some slight pressure on the middle to hold first end in place and then click the other end into place. It took me less than 10 minutes to do both wheels - and it only took that long since I was debating whether to attempt a pattern or not.

I may be in a Lidl this weekend (so if you'd like me to keep my eyes peeled for another set, I can do)

Applespider Wrote:

> I may be in a Lidl this weekend (so if you'd like

> me to keep my eyes peeled for another set, I can

> do)

Oooh you are kind...yes, if you do come across them...do tell us so we may whizz down there...erm you're not talking about Scotland I hope?:-S

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

> There are none in the Peckham branch - I looked

> :'(

Buggar! But thanks for saving me a wasted journey. I might check out Brixton on Wednesday - I'll let you all know if I see any. Am just wondering...do Lidl have a website which would tell us which branches have stocks? And what time do they usually close?

*goes off to google*

I think they were under special offers and yes, it is one in Scotland that I will be in. Still, I am happy to purchase a few packs if they are around and then meet up somewhere more local to hand them over. There is a Lidl in Sydenham and in Penge that might be worth calling to see if any left

Karter, it is only ?48 if you want to use it every day for a year.

I've signed up for daily access. I have paid ?4. ?3 for the fob and ?1 credit for first day's access. If I use it one day, then it will charge me another ?1 overnight for next day's credit. I figured then it would be quick and easy to use on the days I don't have my bike with me. And this way if I only use them once a month, it is ?1 month.

Applespider, is your offer to try to obtain the bargain Lidl spoke reflectors still open?

Only, I visited both Sydenham and Brixton Lidls today - neither of them knew what I was talking about and I scoured the stores but to no avail...so no cheap reflectors:(.

So don't waste your time folks. Spoke Reflectors are not available in Peckham, Brixton, and Sydenham branches of Lidl.

Yup. There are two Lidls in my hometown - I will check for reflectors and buy

You get 36 in a pack for ?4.99 and they are about 10cm long so one pack would do both wheels if you only do every other spoke or cut in half. But if they are available, I am happy to pick up extra.

So order list so far is

Ladymuck 1 pack

DJKQ - 1 pack