World Cup Chances........

stevebailey

Just been reading a BBC forum on Englands World cup chances (getting excited).......... other than usual hatred for and from particular nations, I actually did read, and I quote, " England have a 50/50 chance of getting past the quarter finals!

Now I'm not a huge football fan by any means, but have they changed the whole 'one team plays another team and whoever scores the most goals wins' setup?!?! I'm pretty sure that gives each team a 50/50 chance?!?

Just thought I'd ask...............

Bored at work!

Well. To get past the quarter finals they need to win or come second in their group of four, then win a knockout game and THEN beat there opponents in the 1/4 final. So probably an absolute minimum of 3 wins from 5 games

PLus the odds on any game of football are hardly ever 50/50 as the teams are rarely that even....it's not a coin flip.

So you'll give me evens on any fixture in the World Cup? Can I bet with you?..... It's not a lottery or a pull out of a hat.

Plus by your 'theory' England's chances of going past the 1/4 final would be far smaller as they need at least 3 wins from five 50/50 draw....two of which would be in a knockout stage.

PS Seriously, don't ever bet on football.

Easties EL Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> David James

>

> Glenn Johnson, John Terry, Jamie Carragher, Ashely

> Cole

>

> Gearrard, Barry, Lampard

>

> Milner, Cole

>

> Crouch, Rooney

>

>

> Does Cappello log on here?

Now compare that to say the Spanish.... do they still have a 50/50 chance?!?

Well, there is a reasonable chance Brazil will not top their group (they're in with Portugal and Ivory Coast) which would mean a Spain v Brazil clash in first knockout round with the winner then facing the Netherlands in the QF.. so what chance do you reckon then SCSB79?