TENS machine hire from Kings

Sorry for being rubbish but coming up to 39 weeks I'm aware that now is the time for me to be hiring a TENS machine from Kings. The problem is that I can't remember where I go/what I need to do to get one! Can I just rock up at the hospital and ask for one or is the process more complicated? And where do I need to go?

Thanks so much for your help.

I hired one from Kings for the borth of my 1st child and wish I hadn't as it was a bit rubbish, the pads came off and ended up giving me electric shocks - just what you need - more pain during labour! Anyway for the birth of my 2nd child I went out and bought one, I'm glad I did as the early stages of labour weren't overly painful but it was nice to have a bit of non-drug pain relief, then my baby decided to come all of a sudden which didn't leave me any time for extra pain relief and all I had was my TENS machine, trust me the boost button was well used! I'm happy to sell mine if you want it, ?15, you just need to buy fresh sticky pads for it which I think you can get for ?6 from Lloyds chemist on Northcross Rd.

I hired one online from Nature's Gate for both pregnancies and thought they were brilliant. The "boost" button was my best friend, and Mr Pickle had to do a lot of convincing after the birth of both babies to get me to let go of it! Both times I was induced, so once in labour it was very fast, but I put them on from the very start of contractions and really felt like it helped. If nothing else, it gave me something to focus on other than the pain.

I hired mine from Boots, and was the only pain relief I used with the birth of my 2nd. It worked a treat for me and at the end was on the boost bit permantely!! I guess it's all down to how the individual gets on with them, but I would fedinately recommend giving it a go.

Yes, you can just rock up at King's and hire one - no need to book in advance. You need to go to Women's Services which is on the 4th floor I think. It's ?30 but you get ?15 back when you return it. I found mine really helpful - I didn't think it did much at first but then I turned it up and found it much better. I used it right up until the pushing stage, when it got a bit annoying so I took it off. But it was quite a nice distraction in the early stages!

In the chemist on Northcross Road they are currently on sale for ?15, reduced from ?35 I think. I thought it was such a bargain was tempted to buy one there and then but I'm only 18 weeks so felt it was tempting fate.

i hired mine from kings for the birth of 2nd daughter 6 weeks ago. I got it from the antenatal clinic area. There's one MW (jackie i think) who is in charge of renting them out and it was only by chance that i caught her when I went to hire it originally. When I took it back she wasn't there and so although i handed it back they were unable to give me my deposit of ?15 back. Not very convenient as there's not a lot of time to travel back and forth from king's with a newborn in tow! Definitely worth calling in advance to save a wasted trip as the other MWs were unable to help. Probably better still to buy one of the forum. It's certainly worth having it as an option, I thought it was really effective in my labour.

Good luck with the birth!

just make sure you get one that's for labour & birth as the ones for chronic back pain don't work on labour pain - even if it's in your back. Also, if you are using one, get it put on with the first contraction or as early in the labour as possible. If you leave it until the labour is really going it won't work well. If you use it right from early on then it stands a better chance of being a helpful form of pain relief.

For what it's worth I do think it's worth getting hiring or borrowing one (or buying if it's cheap enough). It may or may not help you manage labour pain, but for ?15 it's worth the gamble to have the option to try it.

Happy to loan mine if you're struggling to get one - bought new pads as given to me by sister-in-law - didn't use it (planned Caesarian in the end) so they're ready to go. pm me if you're interested - back in ed on Monday afternoon. No charge of course.

I brought one online and have used it with both of my labours... I found the tens machine to be invaluable, it really helped. When having my second child this is all I used. Worth a try. Good luck.

I hired from Mothercare. Found it amazing. Something to focus on. Doesn't remove pain but gives you such a strange sensation it detracts from the here and now. Got me to 5cm with mine before having to call midwife. Slap it on immediately you realise things are happening because you need to build it up. If it goes on too late it's like sticking a bag of frozen peas on an amputated leg!