Ticket machine at ED station (always out of action)

willma

I know that you often have bags and stuff with you as well as a pram, and they can't be folded, which is understandable. However, it really annoyed me yesterday when the doors of my very busy train opened, and this bloke without any "excuse me" just pushed his child's pram on to the train, in to people's ankles. He had no bags with him, and as far as I'm concerned, could have picked his kid up and folded the pram.

I may get shot down by parents here, but as far as I'm concerned it was just bloody selfish.

Thing is, people were literally thrown off balance because of it, and were clinging to the poles. Had one of them lost balance and fallen in to the pram on to his kid, I bet he would have gone mental at them!

For the record, he was a well dressed, city type looking bloke.

Was that the guy that was pushed off the train earlier this year and suffered quite serious head injuries? Worrying!

I'm with Keef! Its not anti prams, its just a matter of expecting people to show some consideration! Nobody enjoys being crammed on the trains but its a necessary evil given that office hours dictate we all travel at the same time! If people were more courteous and considerate it would make travelling (albeit in cramped conditions) more pleasant!

Here is the reply I got from Southern re ticket machine:

Thank you for your email regarding East Dulwich Station. Please accept my apologies for all the frustration caused due to the unscheduled closure of the above ticket office. I have been in contact with the Duty Station Manager who has informed me that they were required to give the resident clerk leave at short notice and were therefore unable to find cover. However, they have been trying their best to have someone there during the morning peak to sell tickets. With regards to the ticket machine, they are aware of the problems last week and again this was due to the staff shortages at the station as the machine had run out of tickets. He has been making sure that this machine is refilled every morning. They have also confirmed that they have requested a second machine to be installed at the above station. We do hope to have a normal service resumed within the next few weeks and I apologise for all the frustration that has been caused in the meantime.

Thanks for posting the response Clazza.

Sounds as though there was a genuine reason on this occasion but it is unfortunately a common occurance. I think "Peak times" must be a very limited window, I believe when I have caught the 8.35am, the office has been closed ( may be wrong there so happy to be corrected).

Its great they are going to install another ticket machine, would it not solve the problem to bring forward the installation of the Oyster readers to touch in / out, if pay as you go was accepted then the problem would be solved since these are widely available to buy/ top up locally.

Haha, the resident clerk's "leave at short notice." What for? does he have a "bad leg", like that Tube worker who was spotted playing squash whilst on paid sick leave?

Perhaps they could have drafted in a ticket inspector to provide cover? Or is it more profitable to have more of them and less station staff?

I've got an idea. Why not cut costs by abolishing staff & ticket machines at suburban stations altogether. Simply replace with an army of ticket inspectors, trained to target professionals & respetable-looking people (they cough up more easily). Leave the serious fare-dodgers alone - they won't pay anyway (and you might get punched).

See what profits have been made from parking enforcement... Apply the same theory to train travel and it's ker-ching for Southern Railways!!!

Thanks for posting Southern's response Clazza. Another ticket machine at the station should hopefully solve the problems of not being able to buy a ticket.

I agree with you ClareC, the ticket office does seem to be closed before the end of the 'Peak period'. I'm sure that on the station posters it states that the office should be open until at least 12.30. I'll have to check the next time I pass through.

Whilst not defending them in any way, I think there was a yellow sign outside the station a little while ago saying that the ticket clerk had been seriously assaulted in an armed robbery. Perhaps the reduction in hours is as a response to this in some way? It did happen in the middle of the day, but obviously not at rush hour when the world and his wife / her husband are using hte station.

I drive eveywhere, but when commuting into Covent Garden for work previously I too donned headphones and a book and jumped on the 176!