Deliveroo: please keep your cyclists safe

Robert Poste's Child

Saw one of their guys without lights nearly get hit by a car tonight as he cut accross the road without looking. Again dark clothing. A high vis vest with their logo on is all it would take to vastly improve the visibility of their riders. The size of the box etc, isn't really a problem. I cycle with pannier bags crammed full of stuff and the average pannier can take up to 25kg of weight anyway. You don't notice the weight when cycling. But some reflective strips on those pannier boxes would again be helpful.

We also have to remember that the diliveroo business model isn't a very good one for the riders. They are paid per drop, not per hour, and some riders struggle to make the equivalent of min wage when business is quiet. So it is understandable why on busier nights they cut every second they can getting from A-B. It's why motorcycle couriers are also prone to more accidents. Commission based pay and wheels are never a good idea.

Blah Blah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Saw one of their guys without lights nearly get

> hit by a car tonight as he cut accross the road

> without looking. Again dark clothing. A high vis

> vest with their logo on is all it would take to

> vastly improve the visibility of their riders. The

> size of the box etc, isn't really a problem. I

> cycle with pannier bags crammed full of stuff and

> the average pannier can take up to 25kg of weight

> anyway. You don't notice the weight when cycling.

> But some reflective strips on those pannier boxes

> would again be helpful.

>

> We also have to remember that the diliveroo

> business model isn't a very good one for the

> riders. They are paid per drop, not per hour, and

> some riders struggle to make the equivalent of min

> wage when business is quiet. So it is

> understandable why on busier nights they cut every

> second they can getting from A-B. It's why

> motorcycle couriers are also prone to more

> accidents. Commission based pay and wheels are

> never a good idea.

When it comes to the size of the box.. ??

They carry what looks like a small fridge which sits high on their backs which makes the rider top heavy.

Panniers are usually fitted either side of the back wheel low down and give the bicycle stability if loaded equally.

DulwichFox

To be fair to Deliveroo, since all this started bothering me I've noticed that other delivery bikes like Pizza Hut etc have the same size box. Panniers not really a goer as they'd have to be wide enough to take an extra large pizza flat or all the toppings would slide off!

It's the fact they're getting too close to traffic and sometimes pedestrians, and as they themselves can't see the box (behind them / no wing mirrors) - and in the dark other people can't till it's in front of them - it's all too easy for it to be clipped and that's enough to bring the bike down.

I'm sure you're right about the business model, though.

• 1 month later...
This is ridiculous these kids with no helmet and a phone in one hand that gets more attention than the road. How much can it cost to give them a bracket on the handlebars to mount the phone on, and how difficult can it be for a "disruptive" company to introduce some technology that ensures helmets are worn.