Let's rewrite the rules of football........Proposal # 2

Mick Mac

Its not just girls - most MOTD pundits don't understand it either.

But if it was done away with, would the game change much - its not as if many teams can afford to have lots of players sitting up front waiting for the ball.

There is no offside in 5 aside and it does not result in half the team goal hanging.

I understand the off side rule lol and did you know that the real reason that the FA banned womens league football in 1921 was because it was drawing bigger gate receipts than the men's game.

I watched one of the Irish footy games in the Park today and they seem to have no offside rule (although what a strange game it is...not football at all) and there were a million goals (well ok not a million but you get the point) because two players were always goal side of their defender to receive the ball.

So no, the offside rule works and should stay!

(Although I did try explaining it to ladymuck at the footy kickabout and for her sake maybe it should be abolished!)

The offside rule is easy - just think of it in these terms:

You're in a shoe shop, second in the queue for the till. Behind the shop assistant on the till is a pair of shoes which you have seen and which you must have.

The 'opposing' shopper in front of you has seen them also and she is eyeing them with desire.

Both of you have forgotten your purses.

It would be totally rude to push in front of the first woman if you had no money to pay for the shoes.

The shop assistant remains at the till waiting.

Your friend is trying on another pair of shoes at the back of the shop and sees your dilemma.

She prepares to throw her purse to you.

If she does so, you can catch the purse, then walk round the other shopper and buy the shoes.

At a pinch she could throw the purse ahead of the other shopper and, *whilst it is in flight* you could nip around the other shopper, catch the purse and buy the shoes.

Always remembering that until the purse had *actually been thrown* it would be plain wrong to be forward of the other shopper.

There, much clearer!*

*stolen from "Home is where the marmite is"