New photos on wall in North Cross Road

Sue

Apologies for starting a new thread, but I can't find the original one where people were asked their opinions on proposed "art" for the wall near the electricity substation in North Cross Road.

Just seen the photos they've put up there of old East Dulwich, I think they're really interesting and appropriate, thanks to whoever has put them up.

A zillion times better than those stylised flower things which were originally going to be put up there!

I stopped to have a look this afternoon and they somehow managed to cheer up my whole day.

I do have a question though. I'm originally from up north (just a tad south of Manchester) and before that my family hailed from Burnley (even further north). I was well and truly under the impression that flat caps were very much a northern thing. I even questioned my Dad about it on the phone this evening and he thought the same. So, what's the story with the crowd of blokes in flat caps gathered around a dray in the street outside the Crystal Palace Tavern? Are we wrong about caps being a northern thing or is this a bunch of Lancastrian interlopers sneeking into the picture?

The new addition is as a result of a Cleaner, Greener, Safer bid from my previous ward colleague Richard Thomas that I submitted on his behalf. Original idea was this substation is dull and blank lets do something. A couple of primary colour themes were put together and had lots of feedback. Consultation event at the Palmerston and the old time pictures were the preferred option of those that attended.

The first set of pictures were'nt ideal so I asked if another search could be made and council officers have come up trumps. Officially they'll be opened 7pm this Wednesday evening. Come along if your in the area.

NB. London Museum has issued an iPhone app where it displays a historic picture at the location your standing at and tells you directino to look. So you can see now and then. Great concept. I've asked if they could spread this to Southwark and East Dulwich. I'll let you know how I get on.

grogtanian Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes flat caps were a class thing - which made them

> a Northern thing.

>

> (Boltonian)

xxxxxxx

Eh? Loads of people in the South used to wear flat caps, including my grandfather who was a fisherman in Weymouth :)

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>...Loads of people in the South used to wear flat

> caps...

Yes, I thought so too Sue...I think that other myth is all down to that "Hovis Lad" (or should that be "Ovis Ludd"?).

I loved these pictures, fantastic idea. But the one with the scouts, surely that isn't really taken at Goose Green? The building behind does look very like the swimming baths, but the grass seems to go right up to the building, can't make out much of a road. Or is the angle it's taken from?

They are great! I saw them on my way from the doctors and they made me smile. Lots of people were stopping to look at them. However yes, someone has half inched one of them! Or maybe it simply fell off of course.

Would be great to have the pics posted on here btw. And yes, there should be some info up about them and why they are there.

I saw these at the weekend and thought they were fab, could look at them for hours. It would def be good to have some kind of blurb explaining the initiative - James B is that in your remit? And yes, was very sad to notice the bare space where one had been prised off - glad it's being replaced, hope it doesn't keep happening.