Getting two kids to/from nursery at London Bridge from Honour Oak Park

Hello,

Not truly East Dulwich but we may be moving to Honour Oak Park/Forest Hill area shortly from London Bridge and as we are likely to struggle to get a local nursery space (especially with two kids - one is 3 and one is 2) would anyone know how packed the trains are in the morning? It is obviously not a dream scenario in any way but would I be able to travel to LB with a small buggy and a toddler in tow to be at LB for 8.15-8.30 and then home again around 6pm? It is for three days per week...

Anyone doing anything similar?

Thanks in advance for help.

Cecilia

Not doing it myself, but I often see a family (usually both mother and father in the morning and just one parent in the evening) with a buggy of twins on the commuter trains.

The trains are very busy at that time of day, but towards the back of the train there's room for a buggy. Not sure whether you could expect to sit down as well, though, you might have to stand with them in the doorway part of the carriage.

Thanks for the advice - someone also said the trains before 8 were much better that those after... ? apenn would you say they are packed also earlier in the morning? Definitely not expecting to sit down but would need to be sure to at least get on the train and not having to wait for next as then I'd be late for work. And not be a complete wreck once I get to LB. Was wondering whether the new East London Line had improved the situation?

Grateful for any other experiences....

Cecilia - you could try asking on comments of brockley blog for more experiences

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=7319527081974340169&postID=5655569485328336494

I haven't taken the LB trains for a while but having watched them go past (at New Cross Gate) I think you should be ok - the ELL seems to have eased the congestion. Just make sure you go to back of train where there is more space and likely be prepared to stand. Way home will be fine - you'll get on OK at LB when the train is empty and even when they're rammed most people get off at NXG/Brockley, so you'll be able to get off at HOP

The earlier trains at HOP are better - I recently started using HOP after using Peckham and found the trains much quieter. Can't comment on post ELL situation as I'm one of those who now use the ELL option. The ELL trains are getting busier so hopefully the LB ones are correspondingly quieter.

Would your employer consider adjusting your hours to help - I do 8-4 due to kids and the commute (on my own though) is MUCH nicer.

As others have said, the trains from HOP to LB can be packed. I haven't noticed much reduction in commuters on the LB trains since the ELL was introduced, but I am travelling a bit later at the moment to make sure I get a seat whilst heavily pregnant so can't comment on the earlier trains.

You will definitely need to be near the back of the train (near the stairs) to have any chance of getting a buggy on a peak time train, but generally there is room. On the way home I think it depends on the train you are catching and whether you are early for that train (or the platform is displayed in good time). The LB-HOP trains are just as packed in the evenings, but if you get there say 10 mins before your train leaves and head for the far end of the platform there is usually more than enough space.

Try asking on the SE23 forum - http://www.se23.com/forum/ - which covers HOP.

Thanks for all the advice. Flexible hours could work with employeer but my LB nursery opens at 8 so couldn't do 8-4 ;(

I tried to register at se23 forum twice but got no response from the administrator so gave up. Will try Brockley though.

Would be very happy to do the ELL route via Canada Water - are those trains less packed?

Good point about arriving early for the trains - so people do line up according to when they arrive? Way home worries me less as at least there is no stress getting to work for a specific time - although of course I don't want to spend evenings waiting on the LB platform.

And I hadn't even thought about being able to get off the train but now I remember hardly making it off a train once as the doorway was blocked...

I feel for you having a horrid journey - I did a commute from Ryedale to Farringdon for the past two years with little one in the buggy on the Number 63 - dropping her off at nursery in Waterloo on the way.

Sorry I'm not the bearer of great news but have you thought about how you are going to negotiate the steps at Honor Oak? I tend to avoid that station if poss just because of that - not sure if they've plans to be more DDA compliant and put in a lift though (maybe you've checked?)

Also whereabouts in Honor Oak/Forest Hill are you? Would the 63 bus be an option for you - takes more time but is def more comfortable (at least on the morning journey) as you'll be at the start on the bus route.

I used that line all the time, have done for 5 plus years now, but thankfully I'm now at home with my boy so I don't have to use it in peak times.

But I don't think the trains are that packed anymore due to the East London overland train now running in parallel? My hubby says its amazing the change and how less packed the trains are?

Also, towards the back of the trains often have buggies at that time of the morning .. I'd be more worried about London Bridge train station itself as that's super busy with people marching along .. but again there are still buggies and unfortunately you gotta do what you gotta do.

There's also the case of the steps at Honor Oak Park station .. they're terrible! Who knows what plans there are for a lift (Forest Hill has one though) but saying that people are VERY helpful there and there's always a mom or dad jumping at the opportunity to help as they know exactly what you're going through .. well at least that's what I've experienced each time.

PS, you could try Piplings Nursery - Emma - she's very close to Forest Hill station and may have a space or 2 left.

Good luck!

Hi

I agree re helpful people Honor Oak - anyone with a buggy seems to find a helper pretty much immediately.

Even though it's two trains, from an accessibility point of view i wonder if you might actually find it's better to get the overground (east london line) and change at canada water for the jubilee line. The ELL carriages are not unduly crowded in the morning and very wide so no problem getting on with a buggy. Then there is a lift down to the jubilee line at canada water - the jubilee line carriages are again very wide, though more crowded than ELL - and also a lift up from the jubilee line at London Bridge to the slightly quieter Borough High St exit.

On the plus side, we've just moved to Honor Oak/Forest Hill area with a three year old and are finding it really pleasant (though we are still trekking to kennington for some nursery days).

Hello Cecilia1975

Here's a different idea which may or may not be any use.

63 bus: Can you get to the beginning of the 63 route (by Camberwell Old Cemetery on Forest Hill Rd). It's not too packed at 7am and this is the start of the route so more chance of a buggy space. Get off at the top of Old Kent Road (Bricklayers Arms) and London Bridge is about a 15 minute walk down the back streets (Tower Br Rd, Bermondsey St, Leathermarket St, Weston St, Snowsfield, Great Maze Pond).

Coming home at 6 is less ideal, but if you can manage a bit of an extra walk down to Tesco Old Kent Road (back same way as far as Bermondsey St then take Grange Road, then Dunton Rd) a lot of people get off the bus there so shouldn't have to wait too long for 63 or 363 (same route as far as F Hill Rd).

...if i were you i would try to find a local nursery - you might be surprised and manage to find places - if you found one closer to home that would cut out any anxiety of the actual journey to and from work. work in itself is stressful so adding 2 kiddies to the equation even more so.. my baby is 4 months and i really feel for you, thankfully i work locally but finding childcare is still tricky

I used to get that train every day (before the Overground opened), and if you want to be at LB by 8:15-30, I think you'll be okay, as that will mean getting a train about 7:50, and they're nowhere near as packed at that time as they are half hour later. Plus the Overground will have taken a fair few people off of the LB trains.