Boats in Dulwich Park

DulwichFox

oilworker 3 February. Soemeone once told me the late Dowager Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother used to visit Dulwich Park each year to view the rhododendrons?? Does anyone know about this or is it simply a (sub)urban myth??

Thank you oilworker for mentioning this. Yes! The Queen's Mother did visit Dulwich Park every year up to the late 70's.

There used to be an annual gardening competition that was entered by East Dulwich and West Dulwich police stations (together with other garden venues).

East Dulwich police station was then a converted house situated in Crystal Palace Road which sported two small gardens, one on each side of the access path. It was tended by local officers who used to borrow space in the greenhouses at Peckham Rye Park to propagate their plants ready for planting. Local residents also made contributions.

The Queen's Mother used to stop over and take tea and sandwiches in the ED police station canteen (which was no more than a large wooden hut in the rear yard spruced up for the occasion). She never did say why she liked the old place so much. She was quite often late in leaving and very charming and very well informed company.

She would eventually leave for West Dulwich police station in Thurlow Park Road (which used to have a very large garden and several allotments to the rear).

She would always insist that the journey between be via Dulwich Park, entering at College Gate and leaving the park opposite Dulwich Gallery.

Rhododendrons were a great favorite of Queen Victoria and therefore very fashionable during the period of her reign. Dulwich Park is very well planted with Rhododendrons and also a favorite of the Queen's Mother.

She was a very keen gardener.

You can read more about her gardening interests on http://www.backyardgardener.com/article/green/918.htm

Hope this helps. Regards.

I remember very well the time my dad took me and my sister on a boat in Dulwich Park. Her and I got my dad to row faster and faster and eventually the boat turned over and we got soaked and covered in mud.

My mother loved the rhododendrons in Dulwich Park. Once a week we'd take the walk from Dulwich Village through the park to do the weekly shop at Forest Hill Sainsburys and back again and she'd always gasp in admiration of their bright colours when they flowered each spring. We scattered her ashes there along with some of my dad's. The rest of his were scattered near the 19th hole at Dulwich & Sydenham Golf Club, a place where he was a member for more than 50 years.

oilworker Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks Tony - I' ll report of all the above to my

> royal-watcher friend - he likes to keep up with

> all matters regnant - both past and present...

Wow, so if Katie do-dah is the future queen does that make her PREregnant...?

Wow again, Katie Middleton is PREregnant.

( did it happen on a boat in DP ? )

Nette:))