PCN - Dog Kennel Hill : Bus Lane

Coming up on the bus from East Dulwich to Dog Kennel Hill I noticed on the opposite road workmen accompanied by traffic wardens fixing traffic camera signs to lamp posts.

I did not look on the Sainsbury side as the bus was almost at the top.

Does this mean cameras are already there and this thread has prompted Southwark to come out of the closet or will they now be placed to generate revenue.

Perhaps Cllr Barber could offer some insight

Great to see so many upstanding, law-abiding contributors to this thread. You're so rare to find on the roads round here. In fact, I can't remember the last time I saw a car managing to stay below 20mph on the downhill section of that hill. If we're all for upholding the law, we're all for speeding tickets starting from 21 mph, right?

If we're all agreed to stick to the rules rigidly, then it's fair enough to penalise a few yards of illicit bus lane occupancy. As it is though, no-one bats an eyelid at 28 mph in a 20 zone, and I don't see why we should get hung up about one minor infraction if not the others.

Oddly enough, I've never seen anyone on horseback near Sainsbury's either. I guess people leave their high horses at home when they pop to the supermarket.

peckham_ryu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Great to see so many upstanding, law-abiding

> contributors to this thread. You're so rare to

> find on the roads round here. In fact, I can't

> remember the last time I saw a car managing to

> stay below 20mph on the downhill section of that

> hill. If we're all for upholding the law, we're

> all for speeding tickets starting from 21 mph,

> right?

>

> If we're all agreed to stick to the rules rigidly,

> then it's fair enough to penalise a few yards of

> illicit bus lane occupancy. As it is though,

> no-one bats an eyelid at 28 mph in a 20 zone, and

> I don't see why we should get hung up about one

> minor infraction if not the others.

>

> Oddly enough, I've never seen anyone on horseback

> near Sainsbury's either. I guess people leave

> their high horses at home when they pop to the

> supermarket.

People are often concerned that speed cameras are money-making tools. I've often thought that eliminating fines and making the penalty 3 license points instead would be an excellent deterrent (and one I'd be happy to take on the chin myself if caught).

Just got home and opened a PCN for crossing the last part white line at the top of Dog Kennel hill just about to turn right into Champion Hill.

I been up there to have a look and noticed there are these new cameras on the top of lamp posts. There white in colour and about the size of a dinner plate.

I did not notice any signs for cameras on the way up but did notice one at the bottom on the way down were there's another one by traffic lights for bus lane.

So beware when driving on Dog Kennel hill if you need to do a left hand turn.

Why have these fines and seems like cameras suddenly appeared.

There was never a problem before as common sense seemed to rule not revenue generation.

Would have thought it dangerous to turn left from the right hand lane rather then just let the traffic use the bus lane to make these left hand turns.

Southwark love traffic statistics, how many vehicles have used the bus lane to turn into Sainsburys or Champion Hill?

Southwark Council I feel have a hidden agenda in all of this regarding traffic flows.

Tom McCrae Wrote:

> Just got home and opened a PCN for crossing the

> last part white line at the top of Dog Kennel hill

> just about to turn right into Champion Hill.

> I been up there to have a look and noticed there

> are these new cameras on the top of lamp posts.

> There white in colour and about the size of a

> dinner plate.

> I did not notice any signs for cameras on the way

> up but did notice one at the bottom on the way

> down were there's another one by traffic lights

> for bus lane.

> So beware when driving on Dog Kennel hill if you

> need to do a right hand turn.

Thanks for the warning - think you mean turning left though if you're going into Champion from Dog Kennel?

"Just got home and opened a PCN for crossing the last part white line at the top of Dog Kennel hill just about to turn right into Champion Hill.

I been up there to have a look and noticed there are these new cameras on the top of lamp posts. There white in colour and about the size of a dinner plate.

I did not notice any signs for cameras on the way up but did notice one at the bottom on the way down were there's another one by traffic lights for bus lane.

So beware when driving on Dog Kennel hill if you need to do a right hand turn."

This must've been a red light camera fine, for crossing the pressure pads by the white stop line.

peckham_ryu Wrote:

> Hello OP. It's worth seeing what the experts on

> the forums at PePiPoo.com have to help you

Pepipoo is filled with barrack lawyers and Internet experts who copy stuff from one place, paste it in another place, and then project whatever meaning onto the text they want to find.

I haven't read the whole thread, only the first few posts but THANK GOD (if he or she exists) finally this is being policed.

Why the F do people think they can drive up that bus lane if they're turning left? It's a bus lane FFS. ooh diddums it's a bit tricky having to wait to turn left if there's a bus coming up the bus lane. TOO EFFING BAD. Follow the rules of the road.

Pisses me off all the time when twats buzz up the inside when I'm waiting to turn at the proper time.

Obviously I am a pillar of the community and you should follow my example.

I to0 got a PCN for being in the left hand lane to turn into Champion Hill. I usually wait till I am almost at the top of the hill to move over, but recently I have been cut up by cars at the last minute who have almost crashed into me even though I have indicated clearly of my intention to turn left. From the angle of the photo they must have cameras showing traffic going up DKH as mine is a rear view.

• 5 weeks later...

Sue Wrote:

> Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > This will be a bugger on Christmas Eve. The

> left

> > hand lane queue normally starts by the station.

>

>

> Ah well, let them use M&S instead :))

Or God forbid, use our local shops before they get taken over by chains ....

• 2 weeks later...