Any ideas for a good beach to drive to?

I love Camber Sands. Large white sands, shallow paddling water BUT conditions can be variable. The area can get very windy so it always worth checking out the local wind direction etc. A friend recently recommended Botany Bay on the Kent coast. Never been there but she goes frequently with her two. The down side of getting to the coast for day trips when you live in London is the length of the drive and the number of other people who have had the same idea as you (heavy traffic). No way around it other than moving or immigrating!

In Kent good beaches are: Whitstable (shingle), Minnis Bay (huge & brilliant for sandcastles plus ample parking, loos and cafe), Viking Bay (middle of Broadstairs town centre), Botany Bay (v.limited parking, fluffy sand, no amenities), Joss Bay (huge, great for sandcastles, okay parking but v. steep slope to get down), Margate (donkey rides etc, parking but grotty). All above are reachable by train too.

Minnis Bay is nice in that it's just a beach, it has 1 shop a cafe, car park which you can pay for or just park along the road which is by the beach. Worth checking out the tide times though because tide comes up very high, and like we found the other week when we went it was high tide at 11.30am so make sure you sit right up by the wall. Only downside is the toilets are upstairs on the grassy bit, but if you are going with another adult should be fine. It's also very easy to find.

Have fun x

The Lower Leas Coastal Park in Folkestone - you can park 5 minutes walk (level path) in the car park on the Lower Leas Road for ?7 for the day (or elsewhere for free if you hunt around and don't mind walking a bit further). Beach is shingle, but sand exposed when tide goes out (in picture via link below beach looks totally sandy, but clearly some pebbles have returned since, or tide was VERY low when it was taken!), and there is a circle of stones with sand in higher up the beach if they want to dig whilst tide is in. Also a nice cafe so you can get cups of tea, ice creams etc. and have dinner before setting off home, which I find makes return trip very easy as then put children (slightly sandy!) into PJs and just bundle them into bed when we get home. Food is quite simple but good - note they don't take cards, so you need cash or cheques with you.

What I really like is that directly above the cafe there is the 'largest free adventure playground' in Kent. This consists of a huge wooden climbing structure with 2 slides down, 2 zip wires etc. plus several smaller areas for younger children. Fuschia - the big play area would be hard work with the twins (I ended up crawling around it behind C nearly giving myself a hernia the other week, though she was loving it!!), but great for your older boy. Nice to have something else to do with them if they get a bit fed up on the beach, or just to avoid the hottest bit of the day as the play area is shady.

http://www.discoverfolkestone.co.uk/sports-leisure/thedms.aspx?dms=13&venue=3000624

Takes about 1.5 hours from London, less if you can set off early on, say a Sunday when very little traffic around.

Molly

The scrolling picture at the top of the page is the one I was talking about re sand/pebbles. Just watched it again and yes, def. not that sandy anymore sadly....most of the beach now is quite big pebbles, but there is a concrete walkway down the side so you can get a good way down the beach before you have to off road with the buggy (very hard work unless you've got BIG wheels, or a man to lift it with you!!

From where the beach slopes down you then get sand from the lower part of the slope onwards once tide drops.

Also, there is a wide concrete path that runs all the way from Folkestone to Hythe which people walk & cycle along, very nice cycle ride if you have older children. You can stop off in Sandgate for lunch, or to shop for antiques!

Molly

I agree about Folkestone. It's as wonderful as Molly explains, and a really easy drive. We've done it in just over an hour on Sunday mornings. And although the beach is pebbly, they have created a decently sized sandpit on the beach. The harbour is also well worth visiting for it's oldy-ness and and fresh sea food and past it is actually an okay sandy beech if the tide is low. As Molly said, if you follow the path down to Sandgate there's a fantastic fish and chips chop.

I do think it's a two parent day out though, and exhausting!

It's only 45 minutes by train into London (St. Pancras, not very helpful to you) ; I've been watching to see if it gets on the radar of London families looking for their next move!

Forgot to say, depending on your viewpoint, this may not seem a good thing, but dogs are allowed on the Leas beach, which is good for us (and a lot of children join in with throwing the ball into the sea for our dog, so she and they have a lovely time :-) ). Golden Sands - the beach HH refers to is dog free though if that is preferred.

The dressed crab at the harbour is so cheap compared to London prices it makes your eyes water!

Molly

Quick question - how do people get out of ED to get down to then Kent Coast - I usually either follow the South Circular round to A20 or A2, or cut up via blackheath to get on A2 up there. Are there any other "super routes" people can recommend to avoid South Circular?

Okay, after reading this thread we ventured to Whitstable today. May not have been the best weather but sunny intervals and had a fantastic time as well as it not being overcrowded. My 23 month old loved trying to skim the stones on the water and we found a lovely cafe to buy ice creams in a cute garden area, before driving home. A realy enjoyable day! Now to try out some of the other recommendations....