Neverending cough - any advice?

I have had a nasty chesty cough for 5 weeks now. No other symptoms other than feeling generally run down and out of breath but I am also nearly 6 months pregnant so not so surprising. I have been to the GP who said it wasnt in my lungs and waved me off with paracetamol. Are there any alternative treatments I could pursue? I cant remember a time when I wasnt coughing and wheezing all the time...

Hi there

I went through this twice during the earlier months of my pregnancy. First GP I saw waved me off with nothing, but when I went back after the cough and generally feeling run down persisted the second GP I saw prescribed antibiotics, which helped. I would go back to your GP and insist - preferably see a different doctor if you can.

Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon.

I have heard of people who developed asthma in pregnancy - could it be some kind of seasonal allergies that are triggering asthma that you haven't had a problem with before? My allergist told me that women in pregnancy often experience either a significant worsening or significant improvement in asthma/allergy symptoms while pregnant.

I don't see what paracetamol has to do with a wheezing cough?!

I agree that you shouldn't be fobbed off, and should perservere with the GP.

I've got exactly the same - have had it now for around 5 weeks. Hubby has it now too and think youngest may have it too. (The eldest had it first and seems almost over it although still gets a cough at times.) My GP reluctantly gave me antibiotics at the end of last week as one lung was sounding a little rattly and it was in my sinuses.....but I felt he'd just as happily not have. The green tinge to things has gone but the smokers cough is still there - despite never having smoked in my life.

I think it is just a bug that's going round, that takes a while to clear. Try to take it easy if you can - all that coughing when pregnant isn't easy, I remember. If you don't feel it's getting better, don't be afraid to go back to your GP and get checked again. It may just take time but you need reassurance if nothing else that it isn't developing into something more serious - particularly if you're pregnant.

Maybe reflexology would help it work through your system quicker. I used to have a treatment when pregnant if something like this hit me and it did seem to help - maybe it was just the 'me-time', it's hard to say. But worth a try.

Unless you've had a fever and ++ mucus/productive cough, antibiotics aren't going to help as it's v unlikely to be a bacterial infection (GP's have a habit of dishing antibiotics out due to patient pressure/presumed patient pressure) despite all the signs pointing to viral infections/other causes, so if they have said it doesn't need them believe them.

Could well be allergy related - have you tried antihistamines? Will need to be advised by the chemist which to use (some are not allowed during pregnancy) but could be worth trying. If you're still wheezy might be worth speaking to your GP about ?needing salbutamol inhaler but personally would try the antihistamines first.

could be seasonal hayfever, its been very bad this year. i have year round hayfever and use a nose spray to control it. this year i have had the persistent cough and snottiness that you describe as well... i blame the tree pollen??

there are nose-sprays that you can take when pregnant which might help. i also found lots of warm drinks and sleeping with more pillows was very effective.

good luck.