All Say i (if you don't own a iphone)

Easties EL

Not only do I not have one, but I'm not actually sure what they do. I have a phone to make phone calls. I have a camera to take pictures. I have a computer to send emails. I do not feel the need to compress all those things into one tiny gadget that does so much other stuff I won't be able to work out what the hell is going on.

legalbeagle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Not only do I not have one, but I'm not actually

> sure what they do. I have a phone to make phone

> calls. I have a camera to take pictures. I have a

> computer to send emails. I do not feel the need to

> compress all those things into one tiny gadget

> that does so much other stuff I won't be able to

> work out what the hell is going on.

Well it does all of that, as you say, in a tiny gadget, you'd look pretty silly carrying all of that down to the pub on a Saturday! But hey, it would make an easy conversation starter.

Mr Ben has it right IMO.

I've nothing against the iphone, but my phone does all the useful things that Sean mentions, and I have only ever seen one app for the iphone that I'd spend money for (a musical tuner).

stevebailey Wrote:

> legalbeagle Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Not only do I not have one, but I'm not

> actually

> > sure what they do. I have a phone to make phone

> > calls. I have a camera to take pictures. I have

> a

> > computer to send emails. I do not feel the need

> to

> > compress all those things into one tiny gadget

> > that does so much other stuff I won't be able

> to

> > work out what the hell is going on.

>

> Well it does all of that, as you say, in a tiny

> gadget, you'd look pretty silly carrying all of

> that down to the pub on a Saturday! But hey, it

> would make an easy conversation starter.

But why would I want to take photographs and send emails when I'm down the pub? See that's what gets me about such gadgets. They make you feel like you can't possibly be out of touch for one single moment for fear that you'll miss something vital, and while you're checking your gadget just one last time, you look up and realise you've completely missed the evening you were actually supposed to be having in the pub in the first place.

So if you don't mind, I'll stick to a simple telephone (in case the babysitter has lost one of the kids and feels the need to tell me), and TALK TO MY FRIENDS instead.

Oh I dunno, lets say you see something funny, or someone you haven't seen in ages, or a girl a mate of yours used to date and has let herself proper go, you can take a quick snap, email it to them with something along the lines of "ooh you got outta there just in time mate" Shame you couldn't make it tonight!

Assuming of course you do have more friends than all of those THAT YOUR TALKING TO IN THE PUB!!"

stevebailey Wrote:

> Oh I dunno, lets say you see something funny, or

> someone you haven't seen in ages, or a girl a mate

> of yours used to date and has let herself proper

> go, you can take a quick snap, email it to them

> with something along the lines of "ooh you got

> outta there just in time mate" Shame you couldn't

> make it tonight!

>

> Assuming of course you do have more friends than

> all of those THAT YOUR TALKING TO IN THE PUB!!"

I prefer to use the art of conversation when next I see the friend in question, and describe the scene that I witnessed and they did not. And those are some bold assumptions you are making, Mr Bailey.

Well consider yourself told off. In fact you can go and sit on the naughty step. How old are you? On the step for that many minutes please. And to prove you have done as you are told, you can use your snazzy gadget to take a picture of yourself doing just that, and post it on this thread.

The cheek.

Ah but's that just because you have misunderstood. I was not picking on all smart-phone users. I was having a pop just at Mr Bailey, because he suggested I might document my night in the pub and email it to my friends, with the added insinuation that I probably have very few friends so might not actually be able to do this in real life. I considered this most cheeky and told him so.

I have no doubt there is a plethora of smart-phone users out there who are matchless in the art of conversation, notwithstanding their gadget-filled pockets.

stevebailey Wrote:

> legalbeagle Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Not only do I not have one, but I'm not

> actually

> > sure what they do. I have a phone to make phone

> > calls. I have a camera to take pictures. I have

> a

> > computer to send emails. I do not feel the need

> to

> > compress all those things into one tiny gadget

> > that does so much other stuff I won't be able

> to

> > work out what the hell is going on.

>

> Well it does all of that, as you say, in a tiny

> gadget, you'd look pretty silly carrying all of

> that down to the pub on a Saturday! But hey, it

> would make an easy conversation starter.

I'll think you find you started it here so nerr nerr nerr nerr! I was merely stating the applicable functions of multiple usable devices in one, against your statement of you own said multiple devices blah blah blah.

Obviously I was not expecting anyone in their right to to take said devices to the pub on the of chance they want to send a picture of a fat ugly chick to their mate who they used to date, it was merely a highlight to the fact all was possible with a smartphone.

End.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> legalB

>

> I?m not loving the presumption that smart-phone

> users don?t bother with conversation, or aren?t

> very good at it. In fact, it?s got my back up

Well you did mention you use it to watch TV in the pub? I personally can't think when I'd ever feel the need to do that. Pubs are mostly a communal thing surely?