Diddi Dance.....

ljs

Do any of you have children that attend Diddi Dance classes ?

My daughter is very nearly 2.5 and just loves dancing and twirling around everywhere. I thought rather than just going down the ballet route she may enjoy this a lot more. Does it combine a mixture of dance styles, and do you think 2.5 is a good age for her to start ?

Many thanks, Lisa.

My daughter and I went (she was the same - always dancing at home to music etc) when she was 2 and a half. I'd taken her to lots of other classes before which she'd really enjoyed (Little Bubbles for example) but for some reason, diddi-dance just didn't do it for her. I was really disappointed, but after 7 classes I decided to call it a day.

I have to say, the teacher was fantastic (Constitutional Hall on East Dulwich Grove), I thought the activities and dancing and the music were all really good too and there's plenty of variety within the class (although on a weekly basis there's little change to the format). The class was an hour long which I felt for the littleys might have been 15 mins too long, but that's only my opinion and in all honesty, none of the children looked like they cared!

So I would definitely recommend it, even though my daughter didn't like it. I've been tempted to leave it six months and try again in the next class up when she's a bit older.

Hope you like it!

My eldest daughter used to go to this and now I attend with my youngest - I am doomed to spend the rest of my life doing the circle dance and silly shake...

Seriously, though, it's quite good fun and both my kids love(d) it, though I find the lack of change in the routines week after week mindnumbingly boring. But of course kids don't think that way and enjoy the familiarity. It's very informal - it's a mix of dancing and just generally hoofing about, though they do a special track each week which changes every four sessions or so which features a different dance style (cowboy/rock and roll/showgirl etc). They bring out props like streamers and bells or pom-poms when the attention starts to wander from the dancing. My eldest child followed the routines religiously when she did it but my youngest is more anarchic and tends to run around doing her own thing, but it's not a problem as long as that week's class isn't too small (when it tends to have a disruptive effect on the others). Two and a half is a good age to start. Why don't you take up their offer of a free trial before you commit?

Note: during the school holidays there's only one class on Fridays, at 10am in the Constitutional Hall. It's on a drop-in basis, so no need to book (tho' if you want a free trial, you should probably phone Anne-Marie first).

I also used to go to Little Bubbles, which is a similar sort of thing though less dancey than Diddidance. Again, both my kids loved it though I found the lady occasionally breaking into full-throated West End-style song a bit disconcerting...

I have a 2.5 year old and she just loves Diddi Dance! She smiles from the minute she wakes up on her 'Diddi Dance day' until she goes to bed.....and then spends at least 3 days after doing the routines, pretending to be Anne-Marie (the teacher) and telling anyone and everyone about it.

You have a free trial session - so I definitely say give it a go!

My daughter was 2 when we started - she got into the swing of things straight away, despite being one of the youngest in the class. She loves music and dance though - so I guess it was a given really.

I have spoken to the lady and will turn up for a free class over the next few weeks... I also asked about bringing my little boy who is 15 months , his sister is 2.5 yrs. The teacher said that my youngest would be able to join in rather than trying to keep him restrained...As we are in West Dulwich I thought I might try the Beckenham class.