Minitoots

cella Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Whether this is a practice that has gone

> unchallenged for many years or whether individual

> businesses have negotiated with Southwark for

> which there may be a rental cost is an important

> dstinction.

I think the point is that the shops are displaying goods / setting up seating on what falls within the boundaries of their own property, so there's a reason it's gone unchallenged and the Council have no right to charge rental. If they want to keep that part of the pavement clear, then the Council should be paying compensation to the shopkeepers.

nxjen Wrote:

> cella Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > Whether this is a practice that has gone

> > unchallenged for many years or whether

> individual

> > businesses have negotiated with Southwark for

> > which there may be a rental cost is an

> important

> > dstinction.

>

> I think the point is that the shops are displaying

> goods / setting up seating on what falls within

> the boundaries of their own property, so there's a

> reason it's gone unchallenged and the Council have

> no right to charge rental. If they want to keep

> that part of the pavement clear, then the Council

> should be paying compensation to the shopkeepers.

It doesn't seem clear from the original post whether businesses do own the pavement space in front as presumably Southwark wouldn't need to ask for evidence of displays over 10 years if this is the case with this shop - they could display what they wanted on their "land" surely? My point is that pedestrians deserve consideration too and if this is public space then it should all be available to accommodate the increase in footfall.

Had a read, tried to, but couldn't resist...again......damn......

rendelharris you have quoted my post, so, yes, the body language and tone of voice was extremely important and, indeed, integral to me during my working life. You interpreted something somebody wrote as racist, even when supported by "evidence". I have heard the remark (on many occasions throughout my life) about loud music "sounds like an arab bazaar" or even "a persian market". I have never interpreted remarks like that as racist, more like an oft quoted old adage. I quoted someone asking a question and then answering it, so your questioning that part of my post and attempting to draw a parallel is wholly fatuous. Indeed " so wrapped up in your own importance, that you don't even realise what you are writing".

Finally, you refer to "your good self". Thank you for paying due deference. It is, of course, entirely apposite.

richard tudor Wrote:

> rendelharris Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Well apparently I've interpreted something as

> > racist, supported by evidence. Suits me.

>

>

> I think I have missed this evidence. what was it?

You haven't missed any evidence, Richard (lovely to see you're still bitterly following me around by the way, missed you sweetie) - you and adonirum have both managed to conclusively miss the point though. Ain't no thing.

Duvaller Wrote:

>

> This is a problem that Dulwich DIY have made for

> themselves. It has hints of New Delhi where shop

> building extensions encroach on the pavements so

> much so that pedestrians have to walk in the

> gutter.

>

OK I've not taken much notice of this thread for a while, but having revisited it I've properly seen the above.

And putting in my twopennorth, I think it's racist too.

"Hints of New Delhi"? WTF? Why on earth would anybody bring New Delhi into a thread about a shop in East Dulwich?

And what have building extensions and pedestrians having to "walk in the gutter" got to do with the situation here?

Oh, hang on ......

I don't get it...

If shop owners starting hanging neon signs precariously hanging 2m over the road, and someone said "Lordship Lane is starting to resemble Hong Kong".. would that be racist?

If there was a row of empty shops, and someone said "Lordship Lane is starting to resemble Hartlepool". Would that be racist?

Jeremy Wrote:

> If shop owners starting hanging neon signs

> precariously hanging 2m over the road, and someone

> said "Lordship Lane is starting to resemble Hong

> Kong".. would that be racist?

If the shop owners were Chinese then yes, I'd suspect there was a racist element. Why couldn't the poster here say "it's starting to resemble East Street market" or "Beginning to look like Petticoat Lane" - no, chose to describe an Asian business' street display as "hints of New Dehli" - even though his own description of New Dehli, "building extensions encroach onto the pavement" is totally inapposite to the East Dulwich situation.

Yes, seemed at best racially insensitive to me. Hopefully the offending poster will choose his words more carefully in future.

Anyway, back on topic. This external display has never presented a problem at all and has been there for years. I see no good reason for it to be removed or any justification for Southwark council to extort. It's an incredibly useful shop and deserves its place on LL. The display I'm sure would attract people who might not otherwise notice the shop and therefore help it to stay afloat in a street with a dwindling number of independent shops.

On EDF yes it's petty, it happens all the time, worn the badge myself a few times (as well as mysoginist, sexist, whatever, yawn).

Many people on here generally (like any forum I suppose) flap their gums in a way they wouldn't face to face, because obviously they've anonymity.

KidKruger Wrote:

> On EDF yes it's petty, it happens all the time,

> worn the badge myself a few times (as well as

> mysoginist, sexist, whatever, yawn).

> Many people on here generally (like any forum I

> suppose) flap their gums in a way they wouldn't

> face to face, because obviously they've anonymity.

Rendel Harris unfortunately is my real name and I don't say anything on here I wouldn't say face to face.

(Sorry to be off topic again but you know, threads do develop...)