X Factor

fairyuk24

Point taken Elvis did not write his songs. However, when Elvis came onto the scene there was nobody like him. He set a trend and influenced millions of entertainers today. He was the Ulimate front man. Sorry but whats his face Joey Mac ain't cutting it. Not even Robbie Williams standard.

As for old blue eyes

I'm A Fool To Want You (m-Joel Herron, w-Jack Wolf & Frank Sinatra) 1952 * Mistletoe And Holly (m/w-Dok Stanford, Hank Sanicola & Frank Sinatra) 1957 * Mr. Success (m-Edwin Greines, w-Hank Sanicola & Frank Sinatra) 1958 * Peachtree Street (m/w-Jimmy Saunders & Frank Sinatra) 1950 * Shelia (m/w-Christopher Hayward, Frank Sinatra & Robert Staver) 1950 * Take My Love (m-Joel Herron, w-Jack Wolf & Frank Sinatra) 1950 * This Love Of Mine (m/w-Sol Parker, Hank Sanicola & Frank Sinatra) 1941

Now listen up kids. Whitney Houston version of 'I will always love you' was something special, it just wasn't a normal bland cover, which you guys witness every weekend on x-factor. For sure Leona Lewis has a decent voice, but other than that, her live performances are hardly worthly of Pop star status compared to the mentioned above artist. There?s no character in her performances, no life in her voice beyond that prompted by out-of-shot puppeteers. Its songs are fine for what they are, and clear improvements on what came before. But for a multi-million selling artist, Lewis still lacks an album worthy of her international profile.

Yea I get X-Factor is fun. But if you want real music, you better off searching for it, in open mic nights and checking out the music scene across the globe, where artists write their own songs and sing it like they mean it. Who needs my respect? It's my opinon, the talent on X-factor is decent, but I've seen better pub singers in my local who have more character and soul when they sing, they're just not fame hungry whores. (ouch, I didn't mean that)

But st&nly there are thousands of artists who have made good livings and are not as good as Whitney or Beyonce and so on. And many of them are considered classic artists/ perfomers now. In fact record companies wouldn't have product enough to sell if they sat waiting for the next Whitney or Beyonce only.

Leona is at the very beginning of her career. Alex Burke too (and anyone that saw her duet with Beyonce would agree she could go places). Some of these kids ARE very talented and whilst I'd agree that Simon COwell isn't the best music manager (blatently obvious from the quality of JLS's first album - who Simon does not manage) who says what will happen in the futre?

After all Kylie Minogue was rubbish under Stock/ Aitkin and Waterman. She's now a well deserved international superstar, after finding the right management team and song writers. Madonna is another example of an artist that has grown with experience. Classic 'pop' is just as valid as Rock, Indie, Jazz, Opera and every other genre of music. And that's what the Xfactor looks for - 'pop' stars.

X-Factor is fun and entertaining if you like that kind of thing. Where people go on sing badly, get mocked and then you have the over the top dramatization who makes, it, who doesn't, will there be a deadlock, please call this number, etc..etc..It's fun. But for me....

It's boring. Most modern pop music is just simplistic electronic beat with some talentless hack singing over it. They don't even have to sing in tune because they can fix that in the studio. What a bunch of crap. Back in the day (oh dear, did I just say that?) when all you needed was three chords and the truth. Perhaps the problem is that the truth is a little hard to find these days.

Why should I reward some pop singer for doing practically nothing while there are awesome, talented artists out there that are struggling every day for recognition? How backwards is that? Given the selection of modern music for young people I'd feel cheated if I was a teen now.

Autotune has been around since the 60's, it's a myth it's a recent thing only used for modern artists.

The charts has always been 80% rubbish....one hit wonders and so on. That's true of the 70s 80s 90s...take your pick. Music has always been a business.

The interesting thing though, is because of the downward pressure on the revenue from album sales....bands/ artists are now being forced to tour rather than relying on media. It's an interesting comparison to make to the 50s and 60s where touring was a massive part of being successful and indeed it has always been the case that in America, if you don't tour, you don't sell music (as Oasis, Abba, and various other very sucessful acts found out).

There's music you buy to dance around to in your bedroom (and that's what teens have always wanted) and there are artists you would pay to see live. Trust me the live artists are the one's that make the big money so the balance is right anyway.

ST&NLY ? such resentment for a program that is after all, just Saturday night light entertainment. Many millions of people love it, yet I accept, there are probably just as many who don?t. I watch very little TV ? mainly sport or news ? yet I watch XF. Its fun, it?s a laugh and its pure escapism. I watched it last night and clicked on youtube this morning to see if Mary Byrne was as good as thought she was. She was. Sad? Probably ? but I enjoyed my cheap bottle of Sainsbury?s plonk a tad more sat in front of the tv last night. And guess what? I?m looking forward to next week. Bliss?.

On Mary Byrne (just to wind up ST&NLY):

Mary has the potential to not only win XFactor but to go on and be a recording artist in her right. She is immensely talented but her downfall in this competition may be the songs she chooses to sing. By her own admission she has ?strong deep voice? so she needs to be precise in her song choice and not end up ?shouting? the words because it may have the opposite effect. She has the talent but will she listen and take on board advice from people who have been there and done it? Time will tell. The jury is out as yet but it was still a wonderful addition. Well done Mary Byrne.

• 1 month later...

Call me an old cynic, but am i the only one thinking that Cheryl's choices mig have been subconsciously steered by her past racist tendencies? I can't see any other reason for putting two girls through who didn't even manage to sing in their auditions, when the others had terrific voices. Frankly weird.

Of course it's all pantomime, nothing to see here.

You old cynic you!

She definitely went for quirky over vocal ability and it might come back to bite her.

I think the young Madonna lookalike Katie has a nice vocal tone but she hardly managed an audition without messing up. Was sad to see Gamu not get through over Cher, who imo has very little talent at all beyond looking the part.

Can't see anything outstanding or original this year apart from Rebecca.

mockney piers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Call me an old cynic, but am i the only one

> thinking that Cheryl's choices mig have been

> subconsciously steered by her past racist

> tendencies?

Oh, purleeese. Apart from the fact that the allegations were a bit dubious, the fact that she married a black guy and steered Alexandra Burke to victory shouldn't get in the way of a good playing of the racism card.

I think Cheryl's choices were brave - both girls are very different to what's happened in the past, but I doubt whether either of them will be able to pull it off come the live shows. Ridiculous that both of Simon's manufactured groups got through over the established groups who I thought were actually quite good this year.

Does anybody seriously believe that the choices are really Cheryl's? This is highly editorialised entertainment. Several producers and I'd imagine Simon Cowell choose the contestants to achieve maximum publicity/controversiality/longevity for the series.

Whether people can sing or not is neither here nor there - they've chosen people who will get people talking, whether in an excited or outraged way. Cheryl and Dannii in particular are playing the role they've been given.