Public transport in ED..brixton so close but yet so far

bil

ditta-on-tees, I think you may find my lovely if you care to read back over DJKQ's previous posts, I was the one being accused of looking back with some rose tinted view of the not so distant past. Those were my experiences of this area, sorry if they arnt upto yours or anyone elses understanding, but thats just how I see it!

I agree many of our great industries such as car manufacturing and ship building have been destroyed, it is absolutely criminal in my eyes, and that is why such great former towns and cities as Sheffield, Bradford, Manchester, Glasgow, Newcastle and indeed Liverpool have all been laid to waste over the past 30 odd years, but dont blame me, that is just a fact, and that's what I was raising with DJKQ earlier! As for people being 'forced' to move to Peckham, well that isnt entirely true. Mnay people are put here, or are encouraged here due to various diaspora in the area through word of mouth or family ties. Peckham has just as little going for it as any number of working class inner city areas, but unlike many of it's great inner London rivals, the investment in Peckham has not materialised into gentrification or anything even close to that, and this in my opinion is why so many people such as myself hark back to the days of Jones and Higgins because we remember our families and our friends and the great times we had in what was pretty much a safe working class neighbourhood.

Louisa.

I am actually from a very poor working class backgorund Louisa whose father bore the brunt of Thatcherite cuts and you are once again WRONG in your assumptions (but excuse me for working hard at school and having half a brain that allowed me to escape what I might have been destined for career wise otherwise)....it would be nice if you go back and read that last post from me properly (as Dita points out) before you continue with your now so predictable and ill-informed speech.

You claimed that we now have slums when housing is infinitely better than it was 40 years ago...thanks mainly to legislation. Not everyone can afford it any longer...that is true but few families are living in one room with outside toilets anymore, something someone of 60 plus from a poor background would remember.

Peckham still is a working class neighbourhood! And much of it is still safe. The dangers (from crime) are the same dangers you'll find in any city. And indeed go back 100 years and London was far more dangerous than it is today. Investment in housing has improved the lives of many of those working class families that now occupy them (0ver ?50 million of it over the last 15 years). Those familes are no different than the families you grew up amongst. So yes I do think you are nostalgic for something you were culturally familiar with, but if you open your eyes you'll see the same thing, family and community spirit exists similarly today, for those who make the effort to be part of it. It's just it's a more multi-ethnic community than the one you grew up amongst perhaps.

As for Rye Lane and food hygiene....what are you talking about? Fruit and veg has been sold on stalls for centuries. Meat and fish, as long as they are chilled and sourced from legal providers are fine (and indeed that is something that the council monitors regularly in Rye Lane - I know that for fact). I shop every day pretty much from Rye Lane and haven't been ill once in 20 years. Yes Rye Lane is more market than department store but so what?

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The market in Brixton is almost as vile as the

> indoor one in Peckham (maybe slightly less

> smelly). Brixton is a grimey, old, victorian

> neighbourhood that is in desperate need of

> knocking down and being rebuilt (like most of

> inner south London). The shopping centre is a

> shadow of it's former self it just happens to be

> on a tube line and so attracts the wannabe 'edgy

> student' brigade who cant afford to live in a nice

> part of north London on a tube line (Islington,

> Camden et al)...

Louisa, "my love" - why don't you go to Brixton market anymore? A couple of years ago you seemed so keen on it...

I love diversity, hence why I visit

> market's like the ones in Brixton, Lewisham,

> Bromley. My point is these places all contain a

> diverse range of produce for everyone and have

> been around for years,

No point having anything like a serious debate with Louisa given she cant read posts....

I said people are forced to move away from their hometowns... not forced to move to Peckham. Big difference.

As for gentrification go have a walk down Choumert Road and the surrounding streets then talk with any sincerity about the absence of gentrification. Though I am not sure why you would want gentrification to occur as this pushes out the existing population who can no longer afford to live there.

At this stage In the Night Garden makes more sense, so all aboard the Ninky Nonk and lets go to Louisa-land.

every time i have taken the bus 37 from ED grove- i have had to wait min 20 mins, my life is too short! I agree that walking or cycling would be faster.i drove to brixton tonight; there is parking closeby after 5.30pm. i went to buy a pressie in M&S (brixton is the closest one to here) and the food hall was heaving with people buying evening grub.

It is so hilly around ED/herne hill and the village; so when (eventually) i do start cycling, my thighs will be lean and fabulous! i have yet to explore brixton but looks like it offers more than peckham for cheap food etc.

I shall check out indoor market one day...i assume it is nothing like ED warehouse or brick-lane indoor market

bil, I'll let you into a secret - there are ways around the biggest hills here that mean you don't have to go up them on a bike. I go from near the Horniman to Victoria (via Brixton) every day and the only hill that I hit (where I have to drop a few gears) is on the return journey when I come back up the one at the Horniman. :)-D

bil Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> every time i have taken the bus 37 from ED grove-

> i have had to wait min 20 mins, my life is too

> short! I agree that walking or cycling would be

> faster.i drove to brixton tonight; there is

> parking closeby after 5.30pm. i went to buy a

> pressie in M&S (brixton is the closest one to

> here) and the food hall was heaving with people

> buying evening grub.

>

> It is so hilly around ED/herne hill and the

> village; so when (eventually) i do start cycling,

> my thighs will be lean and fabulous! i have yet to

> explore brixton but looks like it offers more than

> peckham for cheap food etc.

>

> I shall check out indoor market one day...i assume

> it is nothing like ED warehouse or brick-lane

> indoor market

There are actually two indoor markets. Nothing like ED Warehouse - much better. Look at the link I posted above. They are open late on Thursdays until 10 pm.