Public transport in ED..brixton so close but yet so far

bil

I can see the point of going to Brixton for many if the fun reasons above plus of course the marvellous Franca Manca

But I'm stumped on a reason to go to Stockwell other than to get on the Tube when Victoria line is down at Brixton or to get somewhere else. Are there any great pubs, shops, restaurants there that I am missing out on?

Brixton isnt anything special, the best thing about it is the fact there happens to be a decent link to the west end via the tube. The two biggest iconic brands as you drive into the place are a giant KFC on one corner, and a McD's on the other - need I say more? Anyway, dont bother going to Brixton. Just drive through it, simple!

Louisa.

indiej25, no doubt you are one of these inner city cultural despots (probably born in Hertfordshire or Surrey) who move into a place like Brixton because you think it's 'edgy'. Let's just take what you say with a pinch of salt, we all know Brixton is a s*ithole lol... I've lived in South London long enough to know what's good and what's not!

Louisa.

and what is it about brixton that makes it such a shit hole? Ok it may have some not particularly beautiful houses in the central bit of it, but there are a lot of nice streets and good places to eat, plus there are plenty of decent bars and even a couple of nightclubs. the market is quality as well

TonyQuinn Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why go to Brixton or Stockwell in the first place?

The Brixton indoor market is amazing. Forget Franco Manca - there are much better places to eat in there now. Cornercopia, Islanders Kitchen, several Argentinian places, Federation Coffee......and it is open late on Thursdays until 10 pm.

The market in Brixton is almost as vile as the indoor one in Peckham (maybe slightly less smelly). Brixton is a grimey, old, victorian neighbourhood that is in desperate need of knocking down and being rebuilt (like most of inner south London). The shopping centre is a shadow of it's former self it just happens to be on a tube line and so attracts the wannabe 'edgy student' brigade who cant afford to live in a nice part of north London on a tube line (Islington, Camden et al)... So if you are poor but wanna think you're rich, move to Brixton and live next door to a crack house, you still have the tube nearby! ;-)

Louisa.

Louisa needs out get out more. On another thread she rubs down Peckham as well. Maybe if she bothered to spend time in these places she'd actually know what she was talking about.

Louisa, Brixton has a large market, Eclectic Cinema, Good restaurants and bars, a good leisure centre, good shopping and a tube....oh and good pubs with good food and entertainment. I regularly do my fruit and veg shopping there as there is nowhere in ED that can match it.

DJKillaQueen, I've lived in and around Peckham all my life, so I know all of these areas you talk about. You clearly have not lived here as long as I have, or else you would remember what it used to be like. Peckham and Brixton were once great places to shop, great places for a night out too, they are both far worse than they used to be (more especially Peckham). The only reason Brixton now has a few decent eateries and bars is because it is next to Clapham and the knock on effect has clearly helped. Depending on what age group you fit into, fine, Brixton and Peckham are great places, but I for one think that both areas are a complete waste of time for shopping, eating, drinking and/or anything else! (other than transport links in Brixton relative to other parts of S.London).

Louisa.

DJKillaQueen, can you name ANY inner-London suburb where property prices arnt high? Dont be ridiculous! Property prices dont reflect how great an area is, they reflect where it is and what transport links it has! Dont ever get a job as an estate agent :))

Jah Lush, another constructive argument from you I see. Shouldn't you be down the co-op buying some fair trade hairspray?

Louisa.

Higgens and Jones was before my time yes but get over it. I've lived here for two decades and have seen nothing but improvements over that time and prefer to celebrate the diverse makeup of South London and everything it has to offer than hark back to some irrelevant Golden Age.

What is great about Peckham? Name me one thing. It is a stinky, smelly, crime ridden place that needs a nuking! People like you with your "i live to celebrate the diverse makeup of south london.. blah blah" what a load of old crap. It's because of people like you that areas like Peckham are allowed to thrive, and nothing constructive is ever done about them! You've lived here two decades you say? I've lived here a lot longer and I remember it being a lot better, so I dont need someone like you who has no life experience telling me how I should remember better times thanks all the same.

Louisa.

'Allowed to thrive' Peckham has great culture, from the Indian to the Vietnamese, East Dulwich on the other hand has knock off Indian restaurants and overpriced cheese shops.

It's irrelevant how long you have lived here, and how do you know how DJKillaQueen has no life experience.

South London and its people are fantastic if you want to live in a pretty pretty place, move out.

Louisa, I don't need to construct an argument with an ignorant pathetic geriatric old boot whose only little bit of fun in life is to wind people up on a local internet forum and who only gets out of her little noddy car to visit the post office for her pension and then maybe to the hairdressers for another blue rinse. Have another gin and a couple of barbs and go back bed.

How soon before this is lounged?

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The market in Brixton is almost as vile as the

> indoor one in Peckham (maybe slightly less

> smelly). Brixton is a grimey, old, victorian

> neighbourhood that is in desperate need of

> knocking down and being rebuilt (like most of

> inner south London). The shopping centre is a

> shadow of it's former self it just happens to be

> on a tube line and so attracts the wannabe 'edgy

> student' brigade who cant afford to live in a nice

> part of north London on a tube line (Islington,

> Camden et al)... So if you are poor but wanna

> think you're rich, move to Brixton and live next

> door to a crack house, you still have the tube

> nearby! ;-)

>

> Louisa.

When was the last time you were at the indoor market(s) in Brixton? They have been given listed building status and have been attracting new businesses since last November. The market recently featured in the New York Times as a great place to visit.

Jah Lush, I keep forgetting that you are in the EDF drink meet up society, and along with Sean and a few others like to put anyone down who doesn't agree with their stated opinion, or indeed resort to calling them a "troll", so if that is what you view me as because I dont tow the party line when it comes to being an independent person with my own point of view, fire away, call me what you will! I wouldn't want Sean or anyone else banning you from the drinks click would i? :-)

DJKQ, thanks for proving my point about the use of the word 'troll', clearly you dont have a mind of your own, i'm sure Jah is very proud of you :-) BTW just because someone elses opinion is different to yours, it doesn't make them any less worth listening to you than you, maybe that's something you should learn in your wiser older years you claim to be in? If indeed, your view is a healthy one to have at your time in life (as you argue), perhaps you could explain to a large section of the local population what a 'healthy outlook' is? From where i'm standing, i'm seeing a middle aged woman trying to look hip (like one of those patronising old vicars trying to increase his stock on a Sunday morning). Good luck with that though my love.

Cate, getting back to topic, as interesting as it is that Brixton market featured in the NYT, it's kind of appropriate to suggest that Brixton isnt actually on most tourist maps as a place to visit like say.. Camden, Portobello RD et al.. therefore something must be going wrong surely?

Louisa.

the world that exists in some people's heads.. frightening

people don't call you a troll because they disagree with you Louisa - it's because you espouse so many ignorant and repugnant views (nuking peckham is repugnant by any standards. And saying that I will get stabbed and murdered walking to Brixton. And you deny you are a troll??)

And you can't get away with calling a regular drinks meet a clique, when you have been asked to come along so many times. That isn't a clique, that is something going on that you choose not to go to

But you do have a fan club on here I'll give you that

I've argued with you many times over the years but I see many others have yet to encounter you in full flow - I would only advise them to save their breath

Louisa dear, I stopped going to the EDF forum drinkies a long long time ago. I hate the idea of cliques/gangs. I pride myself on being an individual, it's in my Aquarian nature to be so. You yourself never had the balls to turn up despite offers of a drink from myself, Sean and I'm sure a few others. Have a good day. Fill yer boots.

Hmm let's see...if being interested in people, culture, getting out and about, learning new things is being hip, then I'd take that any day over being a stuck in the mud, miserable, locked in my ways, boring old fart.

What do you expect people to say when you hijack a thread to post derogatory comments about an area that many people live in and love. It's not intolerance to defend from ignorance. Places change and people change...that's life. All places have negatives but on the whole the picture you paint of Peckham and Brixton is grossly insulting to those that live there. And as for your impression of me, you are so off the mark that it perhaps explains why you are so clearly out of touch with the world around you.