my car stolen 10am sainsburys

martin

yes folks

definitely feeling weird and pissed off.

my lovely dark blue 1995 merc e320 estate taken in the space of a 15 minute visit to dog kennel hill. very pro, as was locked and immobilised.

cops said it would take them 2 days to come and view cctv! cctv not really well manned, so watch your back - it's getting crazy out there...

thanks.

actually up near the entrance... dunno what the legalities are here... may have a word with my men: "slaughter, burn and slash" solicitors at whatever they can get!

thing is, were they sitting there waiting for me? or just opportunists...

m

martin Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> thing is, were they sitting there waiting for me?

> or just opportunists...

>

xxxxxxxx

Why would they be waiting for you?

Do you park in the same place at the same time every day?

I heard recently that the latest scam is to use a jammer that blocks the radio signal for the alarm, thus you think it is locked but it isn't and they can just stroll in and take the car at their leisure.

Not saying this is how it was done, but well worth checking that your vehicle is actually locked after pressing the remote

SteveT Wrote:

> Pays to go to Asda.

>

> Since my front door handle was unscrewed and

> removed whilst I was out yesterday it seems there

> is a new wave of thievery hitting ED. Bar studs!

SteveT- did you report it to the Police?

james84 Wrote:

> Martin, I sypathise with you completely- our flat

> was broke into on monday and all of our values

> possessions were stolen, there just seems to be

> too much of this going on in the area at the

> moment.

That is terrible. You have my sympathy. What road did this happen in?

Hi,

1. Have some friends in Hackney who had there merc estate (v similar) stolen, as was their neighbours! So does seem a popular target.

2. Had my ed flat broken into during the day, with neighbours in, lots taken, on populus street and must have had vehicle waiting. (Was a few months ago now, security upgraded...). Have been very aware of people loitering in the street now in cars or vans and have actually obv iously hussled some to move on just by looking at them and makeing a note of the details.

Having discussed with the very helpful local police it is ?vident we are in a low crime are (for london) but still pays to be very aware of what is out there..

Martin - hope you can get your car back

Will dex

Derwent Grove

james. Wrote:

> james84 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Martin, I sypathise with you completely- our

> flat

> > was broke into on monday and all of our values

> > possessions were stolen, there just seems to be

> > too much of this going on in the area at the

> > moment.

>

> That is terrible. You have my sympathy. What road

> did this happen in?

Martin, it would be interesting to know what the police response to this incident has been.

If I may be so bold, I have a few suggestions:

First up, the eyes and ears of the Sainsbury's car park are surely the car washers (plus trolley collectors) - I have driven in to the car park and they clock every car. They would be the first people to talk to. If you have a photo of the car take it along - their English isn't great in my experience.

Second, did you approach Sainsbury's and/or the car park owner about CCTV? What about the nursery? Any CCTV on Dog Kennel Hill (bound to be)? Did you get anywhere with them? The fact that you know within a 15 minute window when the car was taken would make a trawl of recorded footage very easy - but move quickly before it is deleted.

Thirdly, if you haven't already done so it might be worth putting a call in to the local Safer Neighbourhoods police team. You could do worse than specifically ask them to request a check of ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) cameras for your number plate (including but not limited to the congestion charge cameras - there are ANPR cameras everywhere, esp. on larger roads into/out of London, plus the whole motorway network). Speed and bus lane cameras too. Also, ask the police about any other recent car crime in the Sainsbury's car park, especially cars being stolen. If it's a routine problem the police are more likely to respond.

If you aren't happy with the police response contact your councillor.

Good luck - and let us know how you get on.

Gavin

Good luck indeed. A friend's experience in Camden, trying to get footage from the council's parking CCTV of his Mercedes being stolen was met with 'Sorry, the Data Protection Act forbids it.'

Just to rub salt into his wounds, a fine arrived on his doormat a few days later for a lapsed parking permit on the same car, filmed by the same camera a few days earlier.