my car stolen 10am sainsburys

martin

Have a look here - advice from the Information Commissioner's Office on CCTV and the DPA

'Most uses of CCTV will be covered by the Data Protection Act. This gives you the right to see information held about you, including CCTV images of you, or images which give away information about you (such as your car number plate).'

'An organisation may need to disclose CCTV images for legal reasons - for example, crime detection. Once they have given the images to another organisation, then that organisation must adhere to the Data Protection Act in their handling of the images.'

The DPA can be a lazy way for organisations to be unhelpful.

In the present case it would probably be quickest if the police requested the CCTV footage. They are more likely to do this if you can convince them that the crime scene is covered by CCTV coverage, and provide details of the cameras.

What's really sad here is that he has to go to all that trouble to get anyone to investigate the theft - when really the Police should be doing it anyway. We have the most camera surveillance of any country in the world - used mostly to fine motorists for mostly minor road offences. Makes no sense at all.

kford - of course your friend could have used the DPA to get the footage. Just tell the council that he was filmed in his car on that day and under the DPA he wants a copy of all the footage of his car coming into and leaving the carpark....

It was a good while back (as in about 2 yrs ago) but i had my handbag stolen off the hook on the back of my trolley in in the DKH Sainsbury's whilst my back was turned for all of 15 seconds. I took matters into my own hands and decided to run out the exit in the hope of spotting the culprit, which I did, grabbed the bag off her and tried to take her to the Sainsbury's security staff (useful as chocolate teapots I now realise) but after she got over the shock she wriggled free and ran to a car parked at the back of the carpark with a big burly guy at the wheel and got away.

I got the number plate of the car, called the local police and their response was "well, you got your handbag back so as nothing's stolen there's nothing to investigate" which personally i think is boll**ks.

Hope you manage to catch the thieving bastards.

caro ed Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> called the

> local police and their response was "well, you got

> your handbag back so as nothing's stolen there's

> nothing to investigate"

Unfortunately I'm not surprised... it tallies with my own experiences.

In these situations it is worth talking to the supermarket immediately. Running car park often now done by third party but security is still domain of supermarket. My car was hit by another in a Tesco car park at weekend. Tesco was more than happy to look at their CCTV footage of the car park (sadly car in blind spot so didn't help) to see if recorded. Quicker to do own detective work than wait for police.