Advice on The Lanes Midwives please!

I'm 33 weeks pregnant and have just been told that a space has become available with the Lanes Midwives. I have mixed feelings about this as I have been very happy with the care I've been receiving so far from the 'overflow' midwife at Dulwich Medical Centre and am reluctant to change midwives at this fairly late stage. Can anyone tell me the benefits / drawbacks (if any?) of being with the Lanes? I've heard they attend the birth with you - which must be a plus - as well as offering good follow up post-natal care? (Am quite hazy about how post-natal care works if you are not with the community midwives).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I would take the space. I was also looked after by the overflow midwfe at dmc, and agree that I received fabulous care from her, and would have loved to have her at the birth and for care afterwards, just for continuity! As it was I was looked after by the ward sister at Kings throughout my labour and delivery (no delivery suites available but i was 8cm when i arrived so they couldnt well turn me away!) and then different people for each post delivery visit. No problem with the care i received but would have been nice to have someone i knew!

I would go for it. I was with the Lanes for my home birth in 2009 and they were fantastic. They were great for the birth and maybe even more so for support afterwards with breastfeeding and emotional support. If I am living her next time around I would really hope to have them again. PM me if you want any further info. Best of luck.

Hi Annie,

Can't really advise as the ' Group Midwives' weren't around when I had my children. It's nice that you appreciate the care you've had so far; there have been numerous posts about getting in with the right group and your post proves that all is not lost without them. I would find that very reassuring if I was living here and pregnant for the first time.

Best wishes with whatever you choose. I hope your labour goes well and your new baby arrives in perfect health!

Ann

I would recommend them - had them for my pregnancy up to 36 weeks, but moved away shortly before the birth so couldn't have my (hospital) birth with them. A big advantage is that they will come and see you at home when you are in early labour, not a service available from DMC/Kings. It'd also be nice to have continuity in the early postnatal stages.