A New Saint

Mick Mac

Today marks the last day of Pope Benedict's visit to England, and the day on which he will declare John Henry Newman as "blessed",

Beatification (bee?at'?uh?fi?CAY?shun) A recognition that a holy person is in heaven and interceding on behalf of the faithful. This is the last step before canonization (being made a saint). In order to be beatified, there must be proof of one miracle obtained by the person's intercession (except in the case of martyrs).

To become a saint you need to have performed a miracle. Does anyone belive in miracles?

If you are going to believe in deities, pontiffs, heaven, hell and what not then sure - go hog wild and believe in miracles too. Why not

PS I don't. Although if I was a 15th century peasant and someone showed me the internet and lighting and that it wouldn't take much to convince me I had witnessed a genuine miracle. That wouldn't make it one tho would it?

> Although if I was a 15th century peasant and someone showed me the internet and lighting and that it wouldn't

> take much to convince me I had witnessed a genuine miracle. That wouldn't make it one tho would it?

Nah, same old universe. Totally commonplace. If you can buy it in Argos and switch it on, it's nuffink special, innit?