Left turn into woodvale

alice

Hi Molly, yes fair enough, that traffic can be bad. I don't think the whole section from the Sydenham Hill intersection down to the interestion with the old pub is well thought out at all. Bus lanes, no right turns, no pedestrian crossings. Seems to needlessly cause a backlog of traffic.

bobbsy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Molly, yes fair enough, that traffic can be

> bad. I don't think the whole section from the

> Sydenham Hill intersection down to the interestion

> with the old pub is well thought out at all. Bus

> lanes, no right turns, no pedestrian crossings.

> Seems to needlessly cause a backlog of traffic.

There's a two stage pelican crossing right in the middle of that stretch you mention...and if it has a backlog now, how much worse would it be if cars were stopping and waiting to turn right, then blocking the oncoming traffic to make the turn?

At busy times most of the traffic is hardly moving anyway, so a controlled right turn wouldn't cause any greater delay than having a whole load of extra cars being forced to go considerably out of their way because there isn't anywhere to turn right.

I really think that stretch of road is badly thought out, as Bobbsy said. If the road planners actually had to use it at busy times they would soon change it. Total madness.

There is a short third lane there now that buses pull over into before turning so during quieter times, it might not be particularly disruptive to traffic. At busy times, if the lights are phased correctly, it shouldn't be a problem. The relatively recent changes at the top of the hill moving the arrows and the repphasing of the lights up there seem to have created much bigger jams than I recall in the past.

My concern is for Underhill Rd - that is already a road that is a popular "rat-run", with often very fast traffic regardless of the speed bumps. If it had that right turn off the sth circ, it would be horrible, and in my view, is not designed nor could cope with extra traffic. I don't know what the overall solution is.

The Nappy Lady Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Melford Road is better as one way, but they need

> to allow cars to turn right into Underhill Road -

> it's a nightmare if you are trying to get back

> towards Forest Hill Road from Sydenham, traffic is

> so heavy - if you go down Sydenham Rise the

> traffic can be backed up right to Sydenham Hill,

> if you go down Sydenham Hill you are forced to add

> to the huge weight of traffic going down Lordship

> Lane, all the way to Overhill Road.

>

> This is one crazy bit of Road Traffic Management.

>

> James, if you are going to get that No U Turn sign

> put back, maybe you can get the one lower down

> taken way whilst you are at it, to ease some of

> the awful congestion, and let people turn right

> into Underhill Road.

>

> Thanks.

My friend thoughts exactly Molly - this is final part of my journey home to Nunhead

and have been surprised in last few weeks how slow & jammed Sydenham Rise can get & have equally ended

Up going down to Overhill Road to get home 😩 not great when there's 2x childcare to collect from!