Empty Shops on Lordship Lane/North X Rd

redjam

Much as I love SMBS and the guys in there... ANOTHER curry house on Lordship Lane??? Exactly how many do we need?!! Can't we have Vietnamese/Japanese/Spanish (tapas) instead? Actually, how about SMBS open theirs (as no doubt it'll be made with great fresh ingredients), and one of the other crappier ones is turned into something else?!

Space NK (or something similar) would be lovely too...

caro ed Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Much as I love SMBS and the guys in there...

> ANOTHER curry house on Lordship Lane??? Exactly

> how many do we need?!! Can't we have

> Vietnamese/Japanese/Spanish (tapas) instead?

If it's to be a South Indian vegetarian place, as has been sugegsted before on the forum, then it wouldn't be just 'another curry house', which is mildly insulting to a vast nation whose cuisine is as varied as that of the whole of Europe. Most 'Indian' restaurants in Britain are Pakistani or Bangladeshi, but there's a whole lot of great stuff as well in between.

Imagine if, in Delhi, a Spanish restaurant opened next to a Russian one. Would it be fair of the locals to cry, "Not another bloody European restaurant!"?

:-)

The cynic in me sees a veg curry house as the way for SMBS to get rid of any 'mature' stock, whilst making maximum mark-up. Completely unlike the 'vintage pretty' juice bar (even the name givs it away). Still, much better than an empty shop.

Yes, only just noticed that Panther Cars had closed on North Cross Rd. Has it gone out of business or just moved? I have to say I've found them hugely unreliable in the past (left me stranded on two different occasions when I'd pre-booked them) so not altogether sorry it's gone. But would be a nice little site for someone - surprised it's not sold. I wonder why too - was it very overpriced?

And another estate agent on LL, really??? This is getting silly.

redjam Wrote:

> Yes, only just noticed that Panther Cars had

> closed on North Cross Rd.

xxxxxx

Hadn't noticed either, will need to take details off the Goose website transport page before I'm sued by disgruntled punters who've trudged across East Dulwich to get a cab home :-S

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> If it's to be a South Indian vegetarian place, as

> has been sugegsted before on the forum, then it

> wouldn't be just 'another curry house', which is

> mildly insulting to a vast nation whose cuisine is

> as varied as that of the whole of Europe. Most

> 'Indian' restaurants in Britain are Pakistani or

> Bangladeshi, but there's a whole lot of great

> stuff as well in between.

>

> Imagine if, in Delhi, a Spanish restaurant opened

> next to a Russian one. Would it be fair of the

> locals to cry, "Not another bloody European

> restaurant!"?

>

> :-)

Fair comment about there being lots of regional variation within the cuisine of a continent - which I completely agree with, but my point was that having been to most of the curry houses on the Lane I can't really tell a huge difference between them. So either my taste buds are pants or they are all from the same sort of area.. As I said, I'd be happy to see the SMBS guys open theirs as I suspect it will be something a bit different... Just don't see why (as has often been noted on the forum) we need quite so many very similar curry restaurants all on one road.

On the subject of another shop though, what's the score with that Janitorial Services place just down from the Mag?? Is it actually a shop or is the signage just still there as a remnant and actually now a home?!

caro ed Wrote:

> Fair comment about there being lots of regional

> variation within the cuisine of a continent -

> which I completely agree with, but my point was

> that having been to most of the curry houses on

> the Lane I can't really tell a huge difference

> between them. So either my taste buds are pants or

> they are all from the same sort of area.. As I

> said, I'd be happy to see the SMBS guys open

> theirs as I suspect it will be something a bit

> different... Just don't see why (as has often been

> noted on the forum) we need quite so many very

> similar curry restaurants all on one road.

Agreed, they are all pretty samey, which is why we need a different Indian restaurant - when was the last time you had a bhel poori, dahi vada, kachori or masala dhosa on Lordship Lane? Mmmmmmm... [drools like Homer Simpson]

Who said it had closed down?

Whoops, I think that may have been me. I just went past it the other day and it didn't look very open, then saw your mention that the freehold was up for auction and put two and two together to make five. Went past it just now and it still didn't look very open (didn't there used to be a sign in the window?), but took a peek inside and there was someone sitting behind the desk, so presumably it's still trading. Apologies for any confusion.

Edited to say I'm talking about Panther Cars here!

redjam Wrote:

> Who said it had closed down?

>

>

> Whoops, I think that may have been me. I just

> went past it the other day and it didn't look very

> open, then saw your mention that the freehold was

> up for auction and put two and two together to

> make five. Went past it just now and it still

> didn't look very open (didn't there used to be a

> sign in the window?), but took a peek inside and

> there was someone sitting behind the desk, so

> presumably it's still trading. Apologies for any

> confusion.

>

> Edited to say I'm talking about Panther Cars here!

xxxxxxxxxx

It looked extremely open on Friday night :))

• 1 month later...
Talking of empty shops, I have been looking to open a Neapolitan (Italian) Pizzeria/restaurant in East Dulwich for quite some time. I think East Dulwich could do with a different cuisine as we have all cuisines except Italian. Please let me know if you hear of anything. My restaurant would provide all produce straight from Napoli. We would be a family run restaurant and we would love to share our stonebaked oven pizza's with you.

This is too much fun. I can't wait for Mr Carnell to wake up. Here's what I'm pretty sure he'd say:

"An Italian? Really? I've said this before, but I'll keep saying it till I'm blue in the face. We HAVE Italians. Lots.

Il Mirto - Melbourne Grove

Si Magia - Forest Hill Road

Case Smerelda - towards Nunhead

Il Giardino - opposite Peckham Rye station

Locale - East Dulwich Road

The Gowlett and the Actress do pizzas

There is another new Italian opening on Bellenden Road.

AND, to top it off, the two things you've suggested....Bella Pasta and Zizzis....are NOT Italians. They serve some vague approximation of cod-Italian pre-cooked, packet sauce slop. The have about as much relation to Italian food as a horse and cart to a Ferrari. Please, stop it now before I explode in a mess of puttanesca sauce!"

Bravo all. Well done.

But, along with stance on Chinese medicine, I've had a re-think. Clearly it is me with the problem. Why, only the other day I managed to walk a whole 200yds without craving a some toasted bread with cheese (TM Louisa 2009).

Why, oh why, I cried can there not be another pizzeria right where I am NOW. Why do I have to walk all of 300yds to find one. Life is not fair.

The denizens of East Dulwich demand MORE pizza. Avante!