bed shaking

thfc2001

Might have been nothing (or me dreaming..) but I woke up at about half three yesterday (tuesday) morning to find the bed shaking... did anyone else feel this? Was odd (and slightly disorientating) and reminded me of those other small tremors we had a few years ago (one was in dudley in 2008 i think) where the bed shook a bit...

Hi thfc2001,

Ignore all the cynics.

I did not feel this tremor.

I did feel one back in the 1980's and another one some time since. (East Dulwich)

In an average year, about 200 earthquakes are detected and located by BGS, and around 15% are felt by people. Historically, the largest known British earthquake occurred on the Dogger Bank in 1931, with a magnitude of 6.1. Fortunately, it was 60 miles offshore but it was still powerful enough to cause minor damage to buildings on the east coast of England.

source:- http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/aboutus/publications/annual_reports/2007_18th_annual_report.pdf

There was an earthquake on March 8th 1750 which affected Peckham Rye.

I have felt an Earthquake whilst on holiday in Turkey. The epicentre was actually in Greece.

I woke and found myself sliding back and forth across the bed. Very strange.

Apparently London's in for a big one....

"In April 1580, a magnitude 5.5 earthquake caused extensive damage in the south-east of England and north-east of France. In London, two people were killed. The epicentre of the quake was in the Dover Straits 86 miles from London, originating 10-20 miles underground.

"This earthquake can certainly happen again because even the quake in 1580 was a repeat of a previous one that occurred in 1382, with almost the same epicentre, size and results," said Roger Musson of the British Geological Survey."

• 2 weeks later...