> question elements of the story.

>

> In my opinion this whole thread should never have

> been started, and it should have been left for

> police and local schools to decide how much to

> advertise things. But it was started, so people

> have a right to comment / question as they see

> fit.

While I also have my own questions on the incident. I would not so far as to say this post should not have been started. Making people aware is priority number 1. Then semantics later. I would not want any one else to be dissuaded from posting something similar on here, as the public message is more important than worrying about being questioned for your actions....

I appreciate the op as a parent. So thanks

Maybe the man thought the child was going to go straight onto the road.Seen it many times,child looking like they are not going to stop in time,and the adult is too far behind to stop them.Sorry this is what sprang to my mind when I first read this.I know the junction well,and at 3.30 there are lots of people collecting from schools.No offensive to anyone,everyone is safe,that's the main thing.

I'm with Medusa on this one - I'm seeing a lot of finger pointing and speculation. How do we know for a fact the wrong steps were taken? Is it possible that that, given the time of the incident, the nanny could have returned home, called the parents to inform them immediately, the parents then leaving work to discuss the matter further making the ultimate decision to call the police? Entirely so, but it doesn't make nearly as good a story...

This morning my daughter's nursery warned parents about the "attempted abduction". They have just sent us a message saying that police have informed Dulwich Hamlet school that there was NO attempt to abduct a child.

This is 3rd/4th hand - can anyone confirm?

Maybe then we can stand down the lynch mob for the nanny.

Agree-- given no one on here knows all of the details about how the nanny communicated with the parents specifically, spending most of the thread speculating and criticizing her seems both unfair and besides the point.

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Penguin I've been thinking that . Poor nanny/au

> pair hope she's not reading all this .After all

> she did thwart the alleged "perp" .

IF there was no actual abduction attempt then the nanny was probably right not to immediately involve the police, but to discuss this with the parents (assuming this is what happened) and the parents right to report what might have been (but apparently actually wasn't) a worrying incident. Everybody thus seems to have acted sensibly and in proportion. Except perhaps for some posters here.

Penguin68 Wrote:

> IF there was no actual abduction attempt then the

> nanny was probably right not to immediately

> involve the police, but to discuss this with the

> parents (assuming this is what happened) and the

> parents right to report what might have been (but

> apparently actually wasn't) a worrying incident.

> Everybody thus seems to have acted sensibly and in

> proportion. Except perhaps for some posters here.

What, you mean the ones who said something didn't sound right and that it didn't sound as though there was an attempted abduction?

Wow, this is an odd thread. Firstly, I don't think it's fair to criticise the nanny for allowing a child to run ahead of her. You can't keep children constantly by your side. Secondly, it's wrong to speculate either way on what may or may not have happened. Clearly the nanny thought something was amiss and as the only witness, you've got to give some weight to that, so best to be cautious. That said, based on the account, it is possible that all was not as it appeared and so we shouldn't overreact either.

robbin Wrote:

> I'm relieved to hear that there was no attempted

> abduction. I'm sure the police treated it

> seriously enough to satisfy themselves it was not

> a criminal matter. I'm sure it's not the sort of

> thing they do (or should) take lightly.

The police are completely underwater and underresourced. I don't think any such assumptions are safe, unfortunately.