Theft in University

Narnia

Sprogg has joined the ranks of the future of the country (ahem). Alas he and his mates have had their grub stolen from their fridges/freezers after just a few days. Only they are supposed to have access to their shared kitchen though Sprogg says it's easy to get in without a key fob. His personal loss included tomato ketchup, part of a loaf of sliced bread and 2 frozen pizza's. Others were not so lucky with one fellow losing all his frozen ready made meals.

The crime has been reported. Will they do anything about it? I don't know. I ask you ex Uni types, who are the chief suspects? We know the crime, the room............I need a name or at least a list of suspects. Could it be a Freshers week prank or not?

Never mind the food - has he brought his first traffic cone / road sign back to his room yet?

Narnia Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Others were not so lucky with one fellow losing all his frozen ready made meals.

With resourceful and capable young adults such as these, the future of our country is surely in safe hands.

I genuinely think it's the best thing could have happened to him.

Life is about all the other b@stards.

Don't give him any ideas, just say 'well, you're not at home anymore' give him a big clap on the back, buy him a pint and have a laugh. If he's teary stamp on his foot.

Whatever you do, don't try and give him any solutions, those are his to find.

It's simply a matter of him helping himself to someone else's stuff when they're not looking.

My advice would be for the lad to stock up his cupboard with really dreadful food (Netto is a good place to start - if there is one) and then 'skim' from other cupboards. His own well-stocked supply will provide cover for his thievery but his own will always be bottom of everybody else's filch-list.

Narnia, this kind of thing is rife. It is the way of things at university - Christ it's the way of things in shared adult houses. Ultimately people are thieving scum. It could be the other b@stards, or it could be that your boy should stop shopping at Waitrose.

There are two ways round this: felt-tip's fridge is a sure-fire winner, or failing that, he could take to eating quorn and fake-n (sp?) and no fecker will ever nick his food again.

I had a small fridge in my room. In my experience, it won't stop, people come and go in shared student accommodation - even overnight visitors will steal food. I once witnessed a backpacker (who turned out not to know anyone in our halls at all) from New Zealand make a stir fry with a Dairylea triangle, an apple, a pack of chinese noodles and some Bovril. LOCK EVERYTHING AWAY.

This old chesnut.

Before making accusations, my advice to you, Narnia, would be to locate the communal weed-stash and telltale dirty cutlery.

Tell me, was by any chance the news of the stolen food followed by a request for cash to replace the supposedly stolen food?

If it wasn't, then your son clearly has alot to learn.

It seems that one student has been caught red handed and will be up before the 'Master' on Monday, whatever that means. Thefts in Sproggs particular kitchen have risen to three in the course of 6 days. Seems fellow freshers nearby have experienced the same. As, according to Sprogg none of his kitchenmates are suspects the answer to the problem would be to have a proper lock on the door as what's currently there can be easily bypassed.

Narnia, bless you and your boy, but let me tell you: while they may not be suspects right now, EVERYONE nicks stuff out of each other's fridges at some point over their time at university.

Whether it's the demon weed giving them munchies, the discovery that they have no milk for their cereal, or the realisation that all they have for their stir fry is an onion, at some point, some of those lovely kitchen mates are going to steal Sprogg's food.

I hope he's up to the heartbreak that will inevitably ensue.

It was rife at my uni. I used to keep anything that could not be kept in a fridge in my wardrobe instead of the kitchen and everything else I used to only buy what I needed for the day, which was a pain but at least it limited what could go missing (which it still did).

I don't think Sprogg would ever not feel like sharing with his kitchenmates so when he says they are not suspects I believe him. Fact is they went around the other kitchens speaking to the inhabitants and bless them, many of them didn't think of reporting the fact their food had been stolen. They just accepted it. 'Borrowing' a drop of milk or bread from the kitchen and from a fellow inhabitant is different to having everything nicked.

stealing the entire contents of a fridge is a bit weird. I mean that takes a bit of planning and logistics.

to be honest though if that had happened in my halls i wouldnt have reported it - and i wouldnt have told my parents. it would have just gone down as 'funny fresher story'.