First day of the new Dulwich Swimming Pool

Weegee

I have just visited the swimming pool this afternoon (Sunday)

The building work and the facilities look great.

However the changing rooms (male) and the water are very cool!

Great if you're an Olympic swimmer, but I'm not the strongest swimmer, so I just plod up and down, and as a result, I've just come away chilled to the bone. I could not manage my normal 20 lengths, as it was just too cold. Even showers were tepid. :-(

If the temp is sorted, it will be fantastic.

yes, water is very cold, and when I asked if they would heat it up a bit more for the kids sessions, like jelly babies, they answered YES OF COURSE, and oh surprise it hasn't been heated up, grr, the kids lips basically turn blue / grey after 15mins, it takes longer in the changing room to get them ready than the time you spend in the water. One member of the staff tried again to reassure me it would get warmer whithin a few days, but let's see..

The gym is a joke - and it's meant to be like that until early next year - I went Saturday morning and only just got on a cross trainer. They've told me I have to give 4 weeks notice to cancel my contract - I think it's about 3 weeks until my next payment is due - does anyone know how strict they are on this? I really don't want to have to pay for another month if I can't get in there to use it.

I've asked what temperature the pool and changing rooms are at and why so cold.

The pool has been full of water for a fortnight to my personal knowledge having visited in advance. So that is nt the reason for the chilly temperature.

No real deep end. It makes it easier to teach kids to swim and you can use all of the pool easilly and teachers can stand rather than trying to tred water for 8 hours a day.

Temporary gym. It is a pain for 6 months while the rest of the centre is regenerated but it will be worth the short term pain. I've asked why the aircon isn't working.

Sorry I know this thread is supposed to be about the pool, but the temporary gym situation is dire. Someone has already given an accurate take but basically everything is gone- certainly in relation to the weights machines/facilities

Smithie I was going to enquire about cancelling my membership - but did you ask them about maybe putting it on hold?Id be happy to do that until after the work is done. Unfortunately I cant get through but Ill let you know when I do. Id be amazed if they expect you to still pay for what is a pretty non existent gym

James B - have you seen it? its not short term pain its a con!!!

Glad the pool is open again after an eternity but a coupel of questions

Why don't the changing rooms should have those disposable shoe covers at the door that you get in Beckenham Spa? I'm far from anal but even on a bright sunny day this weekend, the floor was filthy, black and (obviously) wet. Really really unpleasant when you have bare feet, especially once you have got dry and dressed after a swim and I can only imagine how gross it'll be in November.

Secondly the pool was possibly the coldest I have ever been in. It's all very well putting a baby in a neoprene suit but they don't make them for older children and my 4 year old looked positively cadaveric after 15 minutes in there. We were hoping to book them in for swimming lessons but with all the hanging around that's involved when doing a group lesson I think they will just be too cold. I found it unbearable so I really don't think 18 degrees (or whatever) is a suitable temerature for small kids. Can anyone clarify if this is he norm? It was like swimming in Hampstead Ponds!

The deep end is not deep enough and the shallow end is too shallow. Three year olds who are learning to swim should really be able to stand up and as someone else said, older children need to learn to dive in. Very weird seeing as you could have sunk a submarine in deep end of the old baths.

Looks beautiful but not overwhelmed I have to say

My husband tried to enquire about children's swimming lessons this morning but wasnt willing to stand in a 2 hour queue, went in for a swim this evening; the computers were down so no info re swim school, pool too cold and it just doesnt suit anyone; too cold and boring for children and too shallow for serious swimmers. Tried to call them later, no-one answering phones. Same old fusion. We were so excited, very disappointed.

JB - Thanks for giving them a nudge about the temperature, it's a deal breaker for the kids

Thanks James. It does occour to me that if all swim school places are taken up on monday and/or tuesday and by those with the time (and stamina) to stand in a queue for half the day then the children of working parents do rather seem to lose out. Isn't the answer on-line enrollment? That is, when the computers aren't down.

mrs lotte it's bizarrely the same at Beckenham Spa. I have one son who has lessons there but if I want a place for the other I have to queue up on Monday 4th Oct. I asked if I could phone up at 8am but no... "Don't you have someone who can come and queue for you?" Err sorry my staff are all busy that day

Can't believe how ridiculous it is. There must be a more efficient way of doing it

I totally agree with everyones comments regarding the gym situation.

It would be good of Fusion to at least give a discount on peoples membership for the 6 months as a good will gesture. I would assume that nearly everyone uses the gym who signs up for the annual membership. I realise that the pool being put out of action is an inconvience but having the gym shrunk massively is a major inconvience to alot of people and i feel i am now wasting my money as i am not able to use the weights / cardio machines i had access to when i bough my membership. Going to the gym now feels like it is in the lap of the gods if i am going to get to use any machines.

Rook Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry I know this thread is supposed to be about

> the pool, but the temporary gym situation is dire.

> Someone has already given an accurate take but

> basically everything is gone- certainly in

> relation to the weights machines/facilities

>

> Smithie I was going to enquire about cancelling my

> membership - but did you ask them about maybe

> putting it on hold?Id be happy to do that until

> after the work is done. Unfortunately I cant get

> through but Ill let you know when I do. Id be

> amazed if they expect you to still pay for what is

> a pretty non existent gym

>

> James B - have you seen it? its not short term

> pain its a con!!!

mrs.lotte - just my thoughts.

I enquired for months re: when swimming lessons would re-start and if there was a waiting list. I was told September and no there was no waiting list. I went with friends and 3 children for a free swim Sunday....needless to say we lasted just 30min in the water as it was just too cold! Was told of the emrolment process for swimming lessons (no phone calls, no online booking, no afternoon/evening enrolment).

I came with my 4 year old at approx 6pm (after work) Monday and stood there patiently before being told that all Ducklings, pre school and level 1 classes were fully booked!!! We were not the only ones leaving dissapointedly on the 1st day of enrolment.

I knew there would be a rush as we finally have a new pool but seriously, children of working parents did seem to lose out.

Surely there must be a better system!

I was also left dissapointed by the opening hours of the creche. Was told 9.00-13.30 (Mon-Fri). I'm hoping this is not correct as it would be the same old story of no provision for Sat/Sun for working parents that want to stay in shape too! :(

Anyway enough moaning. The centre does look great and I'm sure that when the gym is finished and the temperature of the pool is sorted it will be even better!

I dropped in yesterday to get a timetable and guess what, they hadn't any on display

and there was a huge queue of mums and buggies so I left without one.

I don't suppose the fusion management had thought that when it opened after years of closure

anyone would need a time-table on opening week.

How can it possibly be that after all that money has been spent on renovation, the water in the pool is so cold that the pool is substantially unusable/unpleasant to swim in? It smacks of gross incompetence on the part of management there. Has the manager tested the pool him/herslef to see if it is fit for purpose? If not, why not? It's hardly as if it is a minor detail that could be overlooked. If it is intentionally being kept at such a low temperature in order to save money/maximise profit, that's an abuse of all the public money spent on the place.

We got fed up of no swimming pool and finally took the advice of friends and joined JAGS. It's wonderful there and I would recommend it to everyone. They have a phone and online sign up for swimming lessons, nice warm water and long opening hours. The only inconvenience is not being able to use it in the day, but that's rarely an issue for us as we're out at work/school in those times. No sauna/jacuzzi etc., but a lovely pool, good gym (with an overspill area and a power plate machine) and a few decent classes.

No connection, I promise, other than being a happy member.

Went to pool on Saturday afternoon with kids, they all have said they "don't want to go back to that pool, Daddy" because it was too cold.

After a year and a half of renovation works the opening day of the pool is timed with a cold swimming pool - you'd be hard pushed to invent this stuff !

Now I will have to try to convince the kids that the 'old pool temperature' will return, how I do this without traumatising them as guinea pigs I know not. I guess I'll have to pop down myself, on my own, and check it beforehand.

On Sunday I was mudlarking with my son on the bank of the Thames, he had his hands in the water at one point and said, "Dad it's like the pool yesterday - freezing" !.