Advice on nappy brands

Expecting first baby in November and want to start stocking up on nappies and the like.

We've just bought some Pampers newborn nappies as we had a money-off voucher for them, but going forward, which brands have people found good? Everyone's trolley always seems full of Pampers, but a friend has said Sainsbury's own brand were fine (and they're obviously quite a bit cheaper) so I just wondered if you lovely lot can offer any feedback on brands you've used?

Thanks in advance x

You have to try different brands and see what suits your baby. I found huggies better than pampers initially but then I used either brand. Also used eco/nature brands but some I found very stiff and hard. I did not get on with supermarket brands they tended to leak. I would say with the amount of offers that big stores have on it sometimes works out cheaper to buy brand names. But don't ovestock on one size especially early on as babies tend to outgrow nappy sizes seemingly overnight!

Have found Boots own brand to be pretty good on the odd occasion have used them. Have always used Pampers but am really narked at them at mo...about 10% of them are unusable as the sticky tabs come off when I pull them tight to hold the nappy in place!

Agree with others who have said different brands suit different babies so maybe stock up on a variety and try them all out!! And yes the Sainsburys third off that periodically comes up is a brill opportunity to stock up...

Pampers were all we used in the early months as we found every other brand leaked. Found huggies too hard, thought they were like cardboard. At 20 months we are now having lots of nappy rash (have been using Sainsburys own baby dry ones) moved back to pampers and no nappy rash. Very weird. I also found with Sainsburys one the crystals came out the nappy and onto the bum..

Would definitely try different brands as said already, every baby is different!

We\ve mainly used Sainsbury's own brand eco ones (green packets) and have had no problems at all. Have also used Huggies o Pampers when abroad or couldn't get hold of Sainsburys ones and we actually prefer the shape and capacity of sainsburys much more.

Agree above though - babies are all different shapes so one type does not suit all. However, it is cheaper if you are able to use the own brand and yes, keep an eye on the half price 'weeks' at sainsburys and stock up (also on wipes!)

With the first one we used sainsburys Eco ones - but with the little one they don't do them small enough, so we are trialling others. Huggies organic ones are nice and soft, and seem to fit well. Pampers I never liked as they always seemed to have a strange smell to me.

An absolute BARGAIN at the moment is Morrisons - their newborn nappies are ?2 for 2 packs!! I was skeptical when the hubby came home with them, but they seem to be doing the trick, and (although I know its wasteful) I don't feel nearly as bad throwing a fresh nappy away when she wees as soon as I put it underneath!!!

Hi

With my first felt I could only use big brands so used huggies which were great. But with my second and less money :) decided to try own brands. Found that Sainsbury's new born were fantastic, but as she got older they seemed really bulky and now prefer Tesco or Asda. But as others have said you just have to see what suits your baby best.

Good Luck

Molly - well obviously I wouldn't throw it away if the wee had been 'self-contained'. But I mean the times when I've not got the nappy done up in time, and its wet around the edges. I know that if it was a reusable I could wash and go - but its not something I've ever been game enough to try!!!

Phew - thanks. I know cloth isn't for everyone but can't help but feel depressed sometimes about the waste & wondered if people really were chucking nappies because they had 1 wee on them.

I've tried not to post on this thread (sitting on my hands!!) but....if anyone does want to try cloth I have kit you can borrow for free - enough to use for an entire day (all pristine stuff if you're wondering!). I promise you that leaks will be a thing of the past - disposables really are RUBBISH by comparison, which is the main reason I won't use them - nothing convenient about poo all over clothes in my opinion! Also if Southwark do implement 2 weekly bin collections everywhere after the trial bins with disposables in are going to get really yucky.

Sorry - will slip away now - hangs head in shame at being unable to keep trap shut during this discussion......

I have only ever had one nappy leak, I think it was a Nature Babycare one when my daughter was just a couple of weeks old and doing really explosive poos.

We tried reusables from the Southwark nappy voucher scheme, but I just found it all too much of a juggling act with work and household chores, so disposables have been fine instead. The waste does bother me, but we are very thrifty on our other waste, so it's all about a balance. Sainsbury's Eco are our preferred choice.

Rogue Apostrophe - fair point that not everyone has the leak problem, I was commenting really on this thread, where leaks were mentioned as a common problem until people found a brand that suited them, and also my own experience with my first daughter, who was in disposables for the first 8-10 weeks of her life. I had major leaks pretty much every day with her, where as once in cloth I only had 3 leaks in the rest of the first year and was truly amazed by the containment. Whenever I do nappy talks and ask for a show of hands I'd say 8 out of 10 parents are experiencing something similar problems and think it is normal to change an entire outfit (and sometimes throw it away!) at least once a day. My experience was that if you are out and about with a small baby and you get a leak like that it can be a real nightmare, and it was the main reason I decided to use cloth nappies full time, and not just at home as I'd initially planned.

I'm really pleased that you at least tried cloth nappies, and appreciate, as I said earlier that they are not for everyone (each of us can only do what we can on the environmental front).

I did manage to continue to use them, even after going back to work full time when my first was 10 months old, and through until potty training, but it did require some organisation - packing her bag the night before for the childminder, and putting the nappy wash on every 2nd night, but I am naturally quite an organised person, so it worked OK for me.

The first 6 months is the time you go through the biggest volume of nappies & wipes, and hopefully most of us do not go back to work until nearer the year, so it is worth thinking about cloth for that first year, even if you switch to disposables later because it makes life easier. Apart from anything else it saves a lot of money (good given that a lot of us are about to lose our child benefit). ?700 to ?1,000 per child on disposables vs. an average of ?250 on cloth total (covers future children too) and ?400 over 3 years on wet wipes versus ?7.50 on washable wipes total (again covers future children).

Anyway, apologies again, no intention of hijacking the thread, but I think it is good to weigh up all options. I think cost and lack of leaks are big pros!

question - I asssume everyone puts poos down the loo and then bins the reminaing nappy? I "loo'ed" it as a matter of course as I think binning it completely insanitrary and 19th century but discovered to my shock that my sister in law bins the whole thing.

What do others do?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick vote for Lidls nappies. Particularly good for nighttime as they seem to take much more volume than Huggies or Pampers. Also much cheaper! (However only available from size 3 I think so no good for newborns.)

We tried the eco ones at the start and they were fine until we had to go up a size and then leaked regularly.