Toddlers and tantruns -what to read?

Hickory

Try Playful Parenting (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0345442865/?tag=googhydr-21&hvadid=6512312840&ref=pd_sl_14hk6ekz7g_b) or How to Talk to Kids...(https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Talk-Kids-Will-Listen/dp/1848123094/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QVX1H7WDRW691SR9AGCP)

And be kind to yourself and your toddler. Sometimes the best thing is for both of you to just sit down and have a cuddle and let go of the stress (recognising that this isn't always possible). I've found sometimes it's like dealing with an irrational drunk person who keeps repeating the same thing and not listening to any reason...so frustrating but nothing to be done in the moment!

With the Three Day Nanny recommendation I made up above, I just wanted to say, if you can find it on tv or YouTube, sometimes it's easier to get something to stick if you physically watch it. It's also much easier to watch half an hour of something fairly entertaining than get time to sit with a book.

I've found Dr Laura Markham's Aha! Parenting website to be a source of incredibly useful information. I really like her email newsletters too, lots of good tips and anecdotes.

Also heard good things about 'No bad kids', and have bookmarked a couple of her articles: The Real Reasons Toddlers Push Limits and Don?t Leave A Testing Toddler Hanging

Personally, I find it always helpful to silently repeat to myself "he's having a hard time, not giving you a hard time", and "I'm the adult here" type thing, during any spectacular meltdowns (that are thankfully few and far between), and stay with him, telling him that I'm there for him if he wants a cuddle.

I also learnt to not do things like break a banana in half, or eat a bite of his food... wow, big mistake.

• 2 weeks later...