Post Office, Lordship Lane

Lynne

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The walk to DV PO is always pleasant enough. Nice

> people too.

>

> Louisa.

Yep this. It's actually possible to walk from LL post office to the DV one , get your stuff done and be back on LL before you would have been served. I know this to be true because I've done it. Twice.

There is a perfectly good sub post office in the big convenience store next to Badger's Bakery, opposite Dulwich Library.

eckhamRose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Absolutely no point complaining to the Post office

> Management. It is now a limited company and is no

> more a 'service' despite the fact that many hard

> working posties are still nice and still consider

> what they do a service.

Post Office Limited runs post offices. Royal Mail plc does postal deliveries. The two are operationally separate.

our really long queue the other day was considerably lengthened by the woman with the inch and a half long nails who couldn't type, open the stamp book or the till drawer or the customer slidy thing or do anything much really. it would have been much funnier if it didn't involve standing around for half an hour

Just out of interest, Post Office Counters (high street main post offices), Post Office Parcels and The Royal Mail (letters, registered post, small parcels) are all separate businesses. And most 'post offices' are actually franchised businesses (sub post-offices) run by small entrepreneurs. Hermes competes with Post Office Parcels. Normally if you are the recipient you will not get to choose the carrier. [There is a confusion as physical post offices (main and sub) act as agents both for The Royal Mail and Post Office Parcels].

• 2 years later...

Revived as it's coming up to Christmas and the queues are out the door.

I turned up there just to get a proof of posting (5 second operation) and was happy to see a man at the front till as he can do the proof from there. He was serving 2 people who had wrapping paper- he collects the people from the queue who do not need special service.

I asked if he was doing proof of posting and he said he was going down the queue (so I got on the end- even though the proof takes 5 seconds and I am obviously not a spring chicken)

He asked the first person in the queue and they needed the counter. He went back to the front till to get something from under the till and then disappeared out the back. Then he pottered about and did not ask anyone else from the massive queue so I ended up waiting there 15 minutes unnecessarily.

(I did notice the absolutely filthy state of the fans- the leading edges were black and filthy- gross)