Alcohol Free but wanting to go out

JB1881

Angelina Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So people really drink because they're bored? And

> because they can't think of anything else to do?

No, they do it because it's an excellent sociable drug when not taken to excess, as humans have known for thousands of years. Soda water? Not so much.

I did Dry Jan in 2016.. and stuck to it. No alcohol for a whole month...

I did not feel any benefit what so ever and in fact my Blood Sugar levels went sky high..

When I drink at night 2 pints and a single shot Drambuie or similar my B.S. levels next morning are 4.8 - 5.4 mml/M

With no alcohol my B.S. levels are 6.6 - 7.8mml/L

My diabetic team are very pleased with my control of my diabetes. Which I believe is due to my alcohol consumption.

So I have a dilemma.. ?

Foxy

We're doing no drinking in the week, which for us is a big change. So far it's great - sleeping much better and already lost a fair bit of weight. Alcohol-free beer/wine etc. is invariably vile. Would much rather have water/herbal teas etc.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> I did Dry Jan in 2016.. and stuck to it. No

> alcohol for a whole month...

>

> I did not feel any benefit what so ever and in

> fact my Blood Sugar levels went sky high..

>

> When I drink at night 2 pints and a single shot

> Drambuie or similar my B.S. levels next morning

> are 4.8 - 5.4 mml/M

> With no alcohol my B.S. levels are 6.6 -

> 7.8mml/L

>

> My diabetic team are very pleased with my

> control of my diabetes. Which I believe is due to

> my alcohol consumption.

>

> So I have a dilemma.. ?

>

> Foxy

What's the dilemma? Whatever blather they make up about units per week (a number which has been decreasing and decreasing without research to support it) two pints and a Drambuie a day is not going to do you any harm - and it sounds like it's doing you good! Stick with it I say!

If it's hard to stop drinking for a month, it sounds like it's more than just a social thing.

I have friends who don't drink and never have and - perhaps surprisingly! - they have lots of friends and do lots of things and stopping in a pub just doesn't cross their normal activity. I've got used to it now and don't even thing about drinking.

I'm very aware of how opposite this is - my social life revolved around pubs - but we were younger then and lived at home and had to get out - it's different when you've got your own place.

littlemissj Wrote:

> Dry January......can't believe its been a year

> since the last & why am I doing this to myself

> again???? lol

>

> I definitely feel the benefit in my bank account

> he he

I use a Excel Spreadsheet ..

Based on 3 pints a day at ?4.00 a pint ... ?12.00 , every time I drink less the rest goes into a tin

and at the end of the month goes into an envelope.

By cutting down throughout the year by Dec 2016 I had saved ?2,650

Nice to have the readies at the time of year and no need to go to the bank for a while.

I have operated this system for the last 6 years..

You might want to operate the same system to give up smoking and see how much you can save.

Foxy

Angelina Wrote:

> Sidestepping the alcohol and picking up on the

> curries - I learnt that chillies originated in

> Portugal and were taken to India in the 16th

> Century.

>

> Where would curries be without chillies? ! ! ! !

This is indeed correct Angelina. The whole Peri-Peri phenomenon of recent years was as a result of Portuguese colonialism. The chillis were brought back from African colonies and grown throughout the warm climes of southern Portugal, and were eventually exported to Asian countries. More especially Sri Lanka.

Louisa.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> My diabetic team are very pleased with my

> control of my diabetes. Which I believe is due to

> my alcohol consumption.

>

> So I have a dilemma.. ?

>

> Foxy

Most people, myself included, deal with their diabetes on their own but not Dulwich Fox. He's got his own 'diabetic team'. Incredible. What a Fox!

What's the dilemma?

Is it that you regularly have to take them out for a drink on a team bonding session?

Jah Lush Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > My diabetic team are very pleased with my

> > control of my diabetes. Which I believe is due

> to

> > my alcohol consumption.

> >

> > So I have a dilemma.. ?

> >

> > Foxy

>

> Most people, myself included, deal with their

> diabetes on their own but not Dulwich Fox. He's

> got his own 'diabetic team'. Incredible. What a

> Fox!

>

> What's the dilemma?

>

> Is it that you regularly have to take them out for

> a drink on a team bonding session?

By Diabetic team I mean The Doctors at DMC..

The Diabetic Nurse at DMC who I see twice a year for foot examinations and to get my HBa1c tests done and Cholesterol and enzyme levels checked.

..and the Team at DECS Kings College Hospital where I go each year for Retinal Screening.

Most of the people I know with Diabetes who 'Deal with it on their own' are now on Medication or insulin.

After 6 years with the care I have received I have managed to avoid that and am no longer concidered Diabetic

in the true sense.

DF.

Jah Lush Wrote:

> Good for you. I'm not on medication or insulin

> either. Ooh, and I've just come back from Kings

> for my yearly retinal eye screening. I don't half

> fancy a pint now.

After the Drops they put in your eyes, it feels like you have had 10 pints..

Any way you would not want to be trapped in the pub with a foot of snow outside.

That would be just MY luck ! Sitting by the fire in the EDT waiting for the snow to ease off..

Would be terrible..

Foxy

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Any way you would not want to be trapped in the

> pub with a foot of snow outside.

Reminds me of a Monday 'snow day' about eight or nine years ago. Complete blizzard on Sunday night and obviously no way transport was going to be working next day. Told my team not to come in and those with laptops to work from home. By about 11 in the morning, I looked at my better half and said, "We should go to the pub at noon." She agreed. We walked down the middle of East Dulwich Grove, crossed Lordship Lane and went into the Bishop. There were about four people in already. I told the barman that I reckoned it would fill up. He scoffed. By two o'clock, the place was heaving, they'd run out of food and there was singing. Left at about six. Fabulous day. Beer and snow!

A brilliant and rare day in London. So peaceful and everybody was talking. I got two days off work. On the Monday went The Palmerston, for a glass of alcoholic wine..

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> -----

> > Any way you would not want to be trapped in the

> > pub with a foot of snow outside.

>

> Reminds me of a Monday 'snow day' about eight or

> nine years ago. Complete blizzard on Sunday night

> and obviously no way transport was going to be

> working next day. Told my team not to come in and

> those with laptops to work from home. By about 11

> in the morning, I looked at my better half and

> said, "We should go to the pub at noon." She

> agreed. We walked down the middle of East Dulwich

> Grove, crossed Lordship Lane and went into the

> Bishop. There were about four people in already. I

> told the barman that I reckoned it would fill up.

> He scoffed. By two o'clock, the place was heaving,

> they'd run out of food and there was singing. Left

> at about six. Fabulous day. Beer and snow!

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> -----

> > Any way you would not want to be trapped in the

> > pub with a foot of snow outside.

>

> Reminds me of a Monday 'snow day' about eight or

> nine years ago. Complete blizzard on Sunday night

> and obviously no way transport was going to be

> working next day. Told my team not to come in and

> those with laptops to work from home. By about 11

> in the morning, I looked at my better half and

> said, "We should go to the pub at noon." She

> agreed. We walked down the middle of East Dulwich

> Grove, crossed Lordship Lane and went into the

> Bishop. There were about four people in already. I

> told the barman that I reckoned it would fill up.

> He scoffed. By two o'clock, the place was heaving,

> they'd run out of food and there was singing. Left

> at about six. Fabulous day. Beer and snow!

I too remember this day. I had a busy schedule and needed use of the bank which had somehow managed to close despite most of the staff living within striking distance of their work. I was absolutely furious, and then couldn't get any shopping because Somerfield had managed to close its doors too. An international city. Unable to deal with snow even down to the point where public transport had stopped and people were forced to walk into suburbia from the centre because even taxis wouldn't brave it. Yes it was a very memorable few days. Welcome to London, open for business (unless it snows!).

Louisa.

...that reminds me I have a suit which has been worn quite a bit lately, I need to drop it off with my Valet Team, next to the post office on LL.

On the way home I may stop off at AJ farmers to see my Plastic Household Goods Team and discuss the dilemma I currently face with respect to washing up bowl v kitchen sink topology - the inefficiencies of 'wasted corners' using a round or oval bowl in a square sink (albeit, admittedly, with slightly rounded corners) confounds my need to waste no usable washing-up space.

After that I'll pop in to see my Corner Shop Team for a can of Stella (to be shared with missus, or, my Relationship Team, at the weekend).