burglaries in Forest Hill/East Dulwich areas

concita

Concita, you yourself posted crime stats showing East Dulwich lowest rate of crimes in Southwark. So I don't understand why you think crime is going up. What we're getting is well reported crimes on this forum such as the very professional sounding burglary of your home. Truly awful but not in itself a crime wave.

Hi James,

I have been around Forest Hill, Sydenham and Penge pawnbrokers/scrap for gold shops etc.. this weekend and have asked if the owners have seen any increase in burglary in the the area and if anybody gets caught by selling stolen goods to them. They told me the trend is very high at the moment.

Police launched "Operation Bumblebee" months ago to educate people to prevent this sort of crime. They would not have done so, if the problem did not exist.

Unfortunately, until it does not happen to us individually, we do not want to know of it.

Asking about crime rates in pawnbrokers is hardly scientific Concita and is based on a percieved impression rather than any hard facts. You seem determined to prove that the crime rates are significantly increasing when the statisitecs are not reflecting that.

Incidently stolen items taken to pawbnbrokers are often items stolen from other family members and friends and so don't reflect anything.

Pawnbrokers know by experience what happens in the area. Statistics are often manipulated figures to cover up a problem.

If items were stolen from family members or friends, do you think pawnbrokers would bother to call the police and have these people arrested? They normally call the police in case they suspect items stolen through robberies and house burglaries.

I don't want to demonstrate anything, I only want to say it is something going on in the area. ED and FH are more affluent areas than they used to be and therefore watch out. The way you do it, whether with CCTV camera or other gadgets is up to individuals and circumstances. Other crimes reported in this forum, are showing that the area is becoming rather hot.

Pawnbrokers know by experience what happens in the area

More than the Police who actually record crime statisitics? Which are NOT manipulted but backed up by the CPS. It would be illegal for those figures to manipulated.

You simply do not want to accept the real figures, and I understand you are felling raw after being a victim yourself but please....this crusade to strike fear into us all is getting tedious.

Concita, you appear to think the only people that are telling the truth are those that agree with you.

Out of many crimes that go unreported, burglary is one of that doesn't. If you're burgled you get very anxious, there's no embarassment, and the police are the first to be called.

On average 10 houses a month get burgled in East Dulwich. It means that twice a week you get a burglary. More often if you include all of the surrounding areas. However, there are 5,000 houses in the district and 25,000 more if you include the surrounding areas.

That means on average you get burgled once every 39 years.

Whilst it's distressing, it's not a crimewave.

Really, this just needs to calm down, it's on the verge of becoming hysterical - in a medical sense.

I have no intention to strike fear in everybody. My intention was to inform that this is going on. Other came up with statistics etc..and i have done my searching on that. I do not intented to be abused either by people whose opinion is different from mine and accuse me of hysteria. I thought this was a democratic forum where people speak in a civilized way! I do not intend to get involved in any argument whatsoever. Some people have reported the same crime recently as well as I did, some in my thread some in others.

Your reply though is defensive.

Crime has always gone on. And there's nothing wrong with discussing that and ways to minimise becoming a victim of it. But you are trying to repeatedly say that crime has significantly risen in recent months when it hasn't. You have provided no hard facts to dispute the evidence of local well documented crime statistics (apart from accusing them of being untrue and manipulated whilst again providing no evidence of such).

Your perception is skewed because you have been a recent victim (and with that we all sympathise). But just because suddenly people are discussing it on a public forum doesn't mean there suddenly are way more crimes than usual. You want to believe what you want to believe and are not listening to those who are trying to correct your skewed perception with the facts.

re The Wildlife Garden Centre- although shut to the public on a friday, isnt it still open for volunteers? I dont understand if you are saying the women in the WLFGC were suspicious or that their mere presence reminded you of how vulnerable your garden is if a burglar was to get access to the WLFGC?

Police came to my home and said there have been few cases going on. Also a month before they distributed a leaflet warning people.I am not on defensive, I am tired to be verbally attacked, whilst my good intention was just to say be careful, nothing else, in view that the forum is followed by many people. Regarding the statistics, I generalized by saying that often they can be manipulated, I did not say the ones generated by police are manipulated.

I wasn't trying to describe you Concita, I was talking about the obsession with crime that has populated three threads in very rapid succession.

All of them deny the facts, and all of them escalate the crimes involve. For example earlier on someone said something similar to "I've been burgled, criminals get away with murder". Well, it was a burglary, not a murder. This is the way people talk when they're trying to create an air of panic.

Try this definition of mass hysteria if you can't see what I mean:

"The term also occurs in the phrase mass hysteria to describe mass public near-panic reactions. It is commonly applied to the waves of popular problems that "everyone gets" in response to news articles. A similar usage refers to any sort of "public wave" phenomenon, and has been used to describe the periodic widespread reappearance and public interest in [crime] "

Crime has been flat, and even declining over recent years.

Suddenly though, we have a wave of panic-stricken threads creating a 'wave' of threads on the forum. That's as near as possible to get to the definition of hysteria.

And I attend Police Ward Panel meetings and there's always a shift needed here or there depending on what type of crime is most prevelant from month to month. The crime is determined by what gang or group are in the area.

One month it might be car crinimals, then next house burglary, the next anti-social behaviour. The Police target the one that's most common, until either the culprits are caught or move to another area (either way reducing the level of that type of crime for a while). Eventually criminals replace criminals so it's a never ending process.

When you look at the stats overall though.....there's very little swing either way in the levels or types of crime annually.

You can put your head in the sand as much as you want and ignore reality. The fact is the area has becoming hot.

I read all the burglaries threads on the forum. There have been quite few since I posted mine the first time. Still ignoring reality?