> > > train to elephant and castle then bakerloo

> line

> > -

> > > quickest and easiest

> >

> > From what station? None from ED.

> >

>

> Get on a train at ED, change at Peckham Rye.

Considering the OP doesn't live here yet then it would have useful to point this out to them.

Medley Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> is going ED-PR-E&C-Bakerloo really worth it

> though?

Guess it depends on where you want to get to. If I am going west, ie District Line, then I always get bus to Denmark hill and train to Victoria. You really need to become quite resourceful when you live here. But living near ED/Peckham Rye and Denmark Hill makes it easier.

Hi Cidered

There are many routes from ED to Oxford Circus as you probably have gathered by now. For information re. the overground arriving at ED please go to the transport for london website under the overground heading. I'm using a notebook at the moment and have no idea there the copy and paste facility is so I cant do you a link at the moment! but it is very easy to find it. At present, if you are keen to travel on the overground, you can take several buses from Lordship Road towards Forest Hill and take the overground there to Canada Water and then Jubilee Line to Bond Street. Be aware that Canada Water is congested during rush hour though!

The Clapham extention of the overground will be stopping at Peckham Rye and Denmark Hill from 2012 but this will be no advance to the Victoria and London Bridge trains we go now.

Probably the quickes way is bus to Dermark Hill, train to victoria and then victoria line to oxford circus.

You can check the Route planner at the TfL website as well for different alternatives.

Hope this adds any value to you question

Quickest maybe - but not necessarily the most comfortable. In rush hour, ff you go to E&C and get the Bakerloo line, you get on and get a seat. If you go to Victoria, you can wait 10 mins whilst they clear the crowding out of the tube station, eventually get on the train and play sardines for the rest of your journey. I used to commute from ED to Baker Street, so am very familiar both routes.

• 3 months later...

Hi all

First post; moving to ED in a few days. I love your forum

Just wondered if someone could let me know if the 176 ever runs to timetable in the mornings?

I'll be picking it up near Overhill Rd, and need to be at tot ct rd for 8.45ish

Am I likely to get a seat or is this wildly hopeful?:)-D

Have seen from above posts the other options for routes but I need to keep my travel costs as low as poss, hence bus.

Thanks!

You should get a seat at that time of morning, it's around 8 it gets busy. The timetable is something like every 8 - 10 minutes and it's usually pretty regular, you do need to allow time for traffic though, the Strand is pretty busy. It's been ages since I caught it regularly each morning but unless it's changed dramatically you should find a good time to be at the bus stop each morning within a few trips, just err on the side if caution and go early rather than late, makes for a much quicker more pleasant journey!

Welcome to ED :-)

Lynsa

I've done that journey and getting that bus on LL won't be the problem - as Clare says it's the traffic north of the river. I would recommend getting off the bus on North side of Waterloo Bridge and walking through Covent Garden - this will make journey times much more predictable

If I had to be there for 8:45 I would leave the house at 7:30 for the first few mornings to allow extra time and then you can shave off as much as you need after that

Also, if you leave just a bit before 7:30, not only is the journey less crowded and the traffic better but you get to town MUCH earlier - leaving 10 minutes earlier gives me an extra 30-45 mins in town often enough. This might help you leave work earlier or it gives you time to sit and have a coffee. Either way I recommend travelling earlier for a much less stressful day

Oh thanks guys that's really helpful

Sean I think I'll see what the walk is like from Waterloo? great idea

It's actually Holborn I work in, but as the bus goes to TCR I thought I'd walk the ten mins or so from there to get to work for 9am. But the walk from Waterloo bridge will be just as easy.

Thank you !!:)

Getting in early is a wonderful thing. You get a seat on the train/bus, a bacon sarnie and a coffee and still feel like you have one on the day ahead. Early commuters also seem to be slightly more civilised and willing to help others who need it. Better still, as we live in an unprecedented time of huge opportunity and fast technology, why not become your own boss and work remotely? Ideally this should always be from a sun lounger with a hot Canadian chick and a huge Del Boy style Pina Colada with a cherry on top..

*sent by Blackberry from St Lucia*

I posted a similar message a year ago when I moved to ED. It depends on what's important. For me, I do not like running round hopping from bus to tube and so on. I get on the 63, sit at the top which tends to be quiet, and warm.

I get out at Elephant/Castle where there are numerous buses going downtown.

On warm days, I get off the 63 near the law offices and walk to whatever destination in the center.

My partner has invested in the Boris Bike thing (45 pounds for an annual membership). He gots to the Elephant and then bikes to the Center....its also a lot faster getting back in the evenings.

Either way, it sucks travelling to the center, but ED is lovely and you will enjoy living here for sure!

It's worth knowing that from Denmark Hill station you can easily get to Ludgate Circus, Farringdon, City Thameslink and Kings Cross St Pancras and further. I only found this out after living here for ages - doh!

If the OP actually needs to get to Holborn, worth knowing that the 171 from Camberwell and the 68 (also from Camberwell and Denmark Hill) go to Holborn.

Point already made that traffic hotspots tend to be Walworth Road, Waterloo and Strand.

In my opinion, I would avoid Victoria area at the moment if you're hoping to pick up the tube. It is horrendous in terms of overcrowding and not worth the bother.

Lynsabelle

If you are using the 176 to get to Holbon, you can get off at the top of Waterloo Bridge and walk 5mins up Kingsway.

If you have a bus pass then you can get off at Waterloo and take any number of buses that go towards Euston and get off at Holborn. Or if you don't have a bus pass maybe you can have a cheeky ride on the 'free' bus that goes from Waterloo to Holborn via the underpass (#521, former bendy bus, conductors don't check your ticket). Not that I have ever done the latter of course.;-)